In a pickle with an accident repair - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In a pickle with an accident repair

I've owned my 04 RC51 for 8 years and suffered my first road incident 3 weeks ago. The bike suffered a majority of cosmetic damage on the right side. Just received my estimate for parts and labor and it came out to roughly $5,500, almost a grand over the most recent NADA value. This bike holds a lot of personal value to me, and would hate to turn it over to insurance.

I'm competent enough to perform the service on everything except the fork tube. Service writer has informed me that the most significant piece on backorder, with an unannounced date of expectation is the right side fairing. Also I had a set of Sato low mounts that are obviously no longer produced, and a pain in the butt to find anywhere, so I anticipate the ladybird route for replacement. Due to the nature of the incident I stand a good chance to be reimbursed to cover expenses for myself and the bike so cost.

My question would be what route to take with the insurance company (State Farm). They would obviously want to write the bike off, but what other options or experience do you all have for this scenario. I love this bike and am looking for the most economical/efficient route to return it to the road. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Can order oem lower fairing from partzilla. I just bought all new oem plastics and tank for my 04. Had them in under a week from order date.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I purchased my SP as in insurance write off spent a few quid on it and put it back on the road, just make sure you tell the insurance company every time you renew your policy every year it's a category whatever write off. Some insurance companies will give you the run around but others won't have a problem.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I've only looked briefly into repurchasing as a write off, currently the salvage title scares me a little. I'm not sure at this point if I'd ever sell the bike, so that worry may be for nothing, thank you.
Roughly how long ago did you purchase the OEM replacement plastics from partzilla?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
from my experience the insur company will not sell back to you. rather they will have it to auction sale so to get highest price. only at auction will you have ability to buy

1946 norton 16h
honda rc51
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Last month. Most parts are still available. Some SP1 parts have been discontinued, but most SP2 parts readily available still.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

AMP1, in your experience with buybacks how tricky is to get the bike back at a reasonable price, or are there professional auction buyers who make it difficult? I'm not sure of the legality of this, but I wanted to see if the service writer might put the estimate at more reasonable price the insurance company would cover, while taking care of the rest of the parts on my own.

Thank you for the info plympton, just spotted the lower right cowl, they have it in stock.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
The only thing I can think of to do is not file a claim and fix it yourself on your own dime(s).

Of course I'm no expert, and I did not sleep in a false confidence inspiring hotel last night.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Different jurisdictions have different outcomes. I've seen it easy. It can be hard too. OP needs to see what his jurisdiction is like and what rules they have.

Fork sounds cosmetic. Otherwise a used set of forks off ebay or an rc51 forum doesn't break the bank.
jondog9 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I filed the claim already, in hindsight I should've rushed to get the estimate first.

Service writer here said I could write it off, and the insurance company would give me first rights to buyback. In his experience he said $800-1K would be a realistic buyback point. As far as undervaluing the estimate my insurance company is highly likely to send out an adjustor to ensure the bike has been fully repaired, so no chance.

The fork is cosmetic, pretty minor scratch at the distal end. Only the axle nut needs to be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode