Question for the ""experienced"' - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Question for the ""experienced"'

I received a phone call, and went to see a bike that an older rider -than myself.. Has owned about 2yrs.. The 2002 Ducati 900 supersport desmo..

My friend was given the bike. and didn't realize the low-end torgue of the engine (coming from riding a VFR750) LOONG story short.. He low-sided the bike. Not much damage. Yet he didn't report the OOpps.. and the bike still holds a clean title.. He asked $2k for the bike as it sits..
Now
Myself being a Honda V-twin (RC-51s, and Superhawk owner) is this something, I should even consider, "has a complementary addition" to the collection.. I already own..
OR is this going to be a similiar(to what already own) /money investing ,contination of maintence.. Motorcycle??
The Ducati has Racetech suspension(front and rear) and a corban seat..The rest of the bike is stock Ducati...

Would appreciate any opinions -of experienced ownership of the "other" V-twin..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I worked in a Ducati dealer's workshop for over a year.
They are not that "friendly" to repairs like the Japanese models.
Special tools are required and you can't get the job done without them.
To clarify that, if on a Japanese motorcycle you need 5 special tools that you cannot do the job without them, while the rest that are mentioned in the manual, can easily fabricated by you, the Ducati's need at least 10.
Their biggest difficulty for a mechanic is lying in their fuel injection adjustments. Not so "plug'n'play" like the Japanese.
Those been said, Ducati engine's performance, sound and feeling is another story.
You may are talking about a 90 degree V-Twin same like the RC51 but it has a unique character that can be addicted to.
Handling is from another planet as well......

So if you are willing to equip yourself with some more expensive tools I believe you owe it to yourself to own a Ducati.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Looks like Makis might be spot on here...the tempermental Italinos while disguised as a very sultry and hot super model, will drain your wallet quickly.

Caveat emptor

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Around 1997 I rode a nearly new 900SS Supersport for a day, my first Ducati experience. Didn't like the buzzy handlebars at higher revs, even with gloves it was unbearable for long periods. Bike handled OK, but it felt as if it could use more power & have less vibration. Having been used to a Honda (VFR750) with sidestand switch I'd left it in gear when parked on a hill, then realised as I pressed the starter switch that it would still start!
If I hadn't let go quickly, disaster would have ensued...
I wonder how many people dropped their 900SS due to that thoughtful omission?

TBH I wasn't left with a lot of love for the 900SS, at the end of the day.

Assuming it's legal & OK to ride, take it for a spin for half a day before deciding. As you already have a nice RC51, it'll probably do everything better than the Ducati, so the chances of you actually wanting to ride the 900S by choice between the two bikes are likely to be low. Depends also on how much time you have for riding bikes...

...Your buddy should never have gotten rid of the VFR750.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode