Having issues - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having issues

Here is what is happening. I was riding along the other day and all of the sudden I lost power, not all power the bike didn't die or anything it just felt weak and I really had to throttle it to maintain speed. All of the sudden all the power kicked back in and it was all good again. No fi light flashing or anything. Fast forward to when I leave work that afternoon. I pull out of the parking lot at work and when I get to the first light while sitting there I notice the rpm's drop from 1300+/- to just below 1000 and as I start to take off again I have to really throttle it to get it moving and the bike is crazy sluggish again. Then again all of the sudden full power kicks in and Im off. But this time it did it maybe 5 times causing the bike to die twice and leave me stuck on the side of the road for a few minutes trying to keep it going. I got it going enough to pull out of a gas station and right on to an on ramp and once I got on the highway all the power came back and it didn't act up again the rest of the way home, about a 20 mile trip.

A motorcycle mechanic buddy of mine says it sounds to him like I have a coil going out and when it acts up it's only running on one cylinder. Makes sense because the bike doesn't lose all power.

What do you guys think, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Battery cable lead is not tight enough on one of the posts...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
A motorcycle mechanic buddy of mine says it sounds to him like I have a coil going out and when it acts up it's only running on one cylinder. Makes sense because the bike doesn't lose all power.
i think hes headed down the right path... failing coil, plug, or as ldh said a bad battery connection. i had a buell that did something similar and it was in fact a loose battery connection

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I had something similar happen to me and, with 4 cylinders, it was harder to identify. I filled a small squirt bottle with water and put it in my tank bag. The next time it lost power, I gave it a minute and then pulled over. I squirted each of the header tubes, a few inches out of the head, and you can clearly see what is firing and what is not. The firing cylinder will evaporate the water before it can touch the metal. A dead cylinder will allow the pipe to get wet and take a few seconds for the water to evaporate. Once you know which cylinder is the problem, you are almost there!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Battery cable lead is not tight enough on one of the posts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
i think hes headed down the right path... failing coil, plug, or as ldh said a bad battery connection. i had a buell that did something similar and it was in fact a loose battery connection
But wouldn't a loose battery cable cause the bike to lose all power temporarily? I still have power but the bike gets weak when whatever is happening happens. Either way I didn't have time on Friday to pull the seat off and check the cables but I'll check em for sure when I get home this evening. I may go ahead and order a couple of new coils anyways. They're only $40 a piece

Thanks guys

Last edited by jgos929; 09-25-2012 at 04:41 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Also check your ground connections on the frame by the seat on the right hand side.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
But wouldn't a loose battery cable cause the bike to lose all power temporarily? I still have power but the bike gets weak when whatever is happening happens.
No, because what you are experiencing is intermittent loss of power as the bike vibrates at certain rpms enough to cause a very quick disconnection and reconnection of the current for x amount of time.

Fluorescent lightbulbs cycle on & off 60 times per second, but you don't notice it because it happens so quickly.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
No, because what you are experiencing is intermittent loss of power as the bike vibrates at certain rpms enough to cause a very quick disconnection and reconnection of the current for x amount of time.

Fluorescent lightbulbs cycle on & off 60 times per second, but you don't notice it because it happens so quickly.
Interesting

I'll check it out when I get to the house and let ya know.

Thanks again
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM

If that is not the solution then we will go to the next step.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok I checked the battery cables at the posts and the connections on the side and everything was good and tightened down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode