Rebuilding a Classic Superbike - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Rebuilding a Classic Superbike

It’s been quite a while since I posted on the forums, some of the old school guys here know me as I’ve owned an RC51 for many years now. I've been on Speedzilla so here on RC51forums I have always seen familiar faces. I’m not all too sure as to when I bought the bike but if I were to say maybe around 2004 and never stopped loving the bike.
I wanted to post up some pics of my latest build that I was able to complete just recently. As a die-hard Honda and RC51 owner I wanted to go about restoring this classic Superbike and wanted to share the various pics that I’ve meticulously gone through this last year. It took quite a while but in the end the results came out great. I’ve done several modifications that I know RC51 owners would greatly enjoy. I hope you guys like the pics (everyone loves pics lol).
To give a quick background all the work was done by me other than the prep and paint of the bodywork and some aluminum welding, there are a lot of community members here that have helped either provide parts which I have graciously installed or helped with some technical aspects of my extensive build. I've done the work either at home in my garage using tools and equipment at my disposal (at times the pictures may be really crude), I also used to work for Marzocchi suspension here in the LA area which gave me the ability to use the facilities and tools when work allowed obviously.

I will go and start off with the before pics, prior to tear down this is what the bike looked like. It had roughly 16,000 on the clock, the bike is originally a 2003 RC51 with the black 06 plastics. I have been modifying the bike for quite some time so a lot of other mods already done might look very familiar.

My goal throughout this process was to restore the old girl to her rightful glory and to continue the numerous modifications on my to do list. I chose to completely take the bike apart separating the frame, motor, and swing arm.

Last edited by Redstar; 07-22-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

These are the pics during tear down, not very pretty as the bike’s frame over time has oxidized a bit, very dirty even if I took good care of the old girl. The bike overall needed a lot of TLC especially in the rear wiring department. The plan is basically to do a complete tear down of the bike and do a basic restore maintaining everything needed to be done and cleaning everything along the way. It was quite miticulous.

I also went and removed the carbon frame covers I had installed. The bike looks rough and in dire need of TLC as you all can tell.

Last edited by Redstar; 07-22-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

So the next step after tear down was to refurbish the frame, after long thought I decided to anodize the frame rather than powder coat it. I did a lot of research in actually understanding what coatings they actually put from the factory. I concluded (not 100% sure though) that the frames are indeed powder coated.
Since I live in the LA area I went and asked an RC51 guru Mr. D Stewart in regards to a reputable company who would do a great job. Damon recommended

LNL Anodizing Services Los Angeles

After speaking with the owner he agreed to take on the job and gave several recommendations. I first had to get the frame stripped and ready for anodizing, here’s the first result.

I wanted to keep the frame black therefore I went through with the recommended black anaodizing L & L recommended. Here’s the result, once again here very crude and dull looking right after receiving it back from L&L.

Finally, after some cleaning and some Honda spray and lots of TLC here’s the final result.

Last edited by Redstar; 07-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Slap it together and bring it to Willow Springs next Sunday!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Slap it together and bring it to Willow Springs next Sunday!
Hey what's up Mike! Its actually fully assembled already. Just wanted to post up the pics here for people that were interested to take a look at the progress. I'd like to get a trackday in before the end of this year, I'll have to see. Let me shoot you a text.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Show pics of your asian gfriend....mmmmmmm
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
So what's Damon up to these days?
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccbrz View Post
Show pics of your asian gfriend....mmmmmmm
What's up Darell, how's it hanggin? Unfortunately we can call her ex-girlfriend
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
So what's Damon up to these days?
Always ridding his dirtbike pretty much.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I want to personally thank SBK Drew, thank you Drew always been very helpful. My original swingarm was not in the best of conditions he was able to provide me with a refurbished one which looks great BTW, his powder coater did a fantastic job. Powder coated by some of his peeps up north. The newly anodized frame and the powder coated swingarm look great together.

Last edited by Redstar; 07-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode