Wow! What a difference. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Wow! What a difference.

Well I've had my sp1 for about 7 weeks now and have been finding it difficult to ride. The roll on throttle was really jerky and the gearing made it hard to ride on tight roads.I was ALMOST starting to believe I had made a silly choice for my first bike. Other riders were subtly hinting along those lines with comments like, " you bought a superbike for your first bike".
Well now it's a different story. Whilst doing a full service I also changed the gearing to 15/42 and installed new Cush drive rubbers. It's now like a new bike and sooo much easier to ride. The gearing has taken away the unpredictable throttle response down low and the Cush rubbers have taken away the backlash between acel and decel.
The only disappointment out of the whole exercise was realising I didn't have a screwdriver long enough to remove the last screw in the air box to replace the FPR and investigate why there is some oil between the cyclinders. My guess is it's something to do with the oil catch bottle. It doesn't appear to be coming from either head cover.
Ps, are there some handy hits on removing/ refitting the tail section. Call me retarded but I found it difficult. Especially refitting it.
Thanks, Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
The SP1 is way more sensitive to the throttle on/off than the SP2 and contributing to that is the smaller throttle bodies which not only give more response, but also more power in the mid-range when you are trying to roll back into the throttle.

I am not saying you do this, but one of the biggest mistakes street riders do which is made even worse on the RC51 due to the heavy flywheel in use is they left off the gas and coast into the turns. There is no coasting in motorcycle racing. You are either on the brakes or right back on the throttle even if it is just maintenance throttle providing positive engagement in the gearbox. This not only alleviates slack in the gearbox, drivetrain and cush drive which then has to be removed with a HUGE snap-thunk, but it also upsets the chassis of the bike every time you have to let out of the throttle and reapply. The chassis is designed to always be under load and when a bike is coasting it is not loading up the chassis properly which causes the suspension to move in the opposite manner it is intended to.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks LDH. I am guilty of coasting at times but mainly on one particularly tight and windy mountain road I ride. At my level of riding, which is beginner I would feel too rushed into the corner ridding as you described. I am always back on the throttle before tipping into the corner though.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
oil between the cylinders is likely a disconnected breather.

the tail section is a pain in the ass to fit if you still have the rear brake fluid reservoir under there.

look at doing something like this

using parts found here

https://www.motomummy.com/shop-tools...375-honda-cap/

that will allow you to remove the reservoir from under the tail and make fitting the section much easier.

just spread the bottom of it apart with both hands and slide it over. it helps to tilt the front of it upwards while spreading it over the subframe, then tilting it forward once it's there.
asilven2334 and Gravelrash like this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Wibbly. I don't feel so retarded now. Lol. Will look into changing MC resovoir. I'm assuming the only downside would be having to top fluid up as pads wear.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
The SP1 is way more sensitive to the throttle on/off than the SP2 and contributing to that is the smaller throttle bodies which not only give more response, but also more power in the mid-range when you are trying to roll back into the throttle.

I am not saying you do this, but one of the biggest mistakes street riders do which is made even worse on the RC51 due to the heavy flywheel in use is they left off the gas and coast into the turns. There is no coasting in motorcycle racing. You are either on the brakes or right back on the throttle even if it is just maintenance throttle providing positive engagement in the gearbox. This not only alleviates slack in the gearbox, drivetrain and cush drive which then has to be removed with a HUGE snap-thunk, but it also upsets the chassis of the bike every time you have to let out of the throttle and reapply. The chassis is designed to always be under load and when a bike is coasting it is not loading up the chassis properly which causes the suspension to move in the opposite manner it is intended to.
Thanks for the more definitive answer LDH. Yeah Gravelrash, this bike (SP1) does NOT like to be shut off in mid corner! It'll start doing the "whahtoosie" on you in a heartbeat. The only time I coast is making a turn on/off a MSR or in parking lots. I'm hoping a Kyle link/ Ohlins shock will iron that out.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
Thanks Wibbly. I don't feel so retarded now. Lol. Will look into changing MC resovoir. I'm assuming the only downside would be having to top fluid up as pads wear.
yeah, it's not a big deal to keep an eye on it. the worst part is bleeding. I just shove a funnel into the hose and use that as a reservoir.
jondog9 and Gravelrash like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
I like this idea Wibb

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM
bpw

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
oil between the cylinders is likely a disconnected breather.

the tail section is a pain in the ass to fit if you still have the rear brake fluid reservoir under there.

look at doing something like this

using parts found here

https://www.motomummy.com/shop-tools...375-honda-cap/

that will allow you to remove the reservoir from under the tail and make fitting the section much easier.

just spread the bottom of it apart with both hands and slide it over. it helps to tilt the front of it upwards while spreading it over the subframe, then tilting it forward once it's there.
That's a nifty little mod! (Nice F'n pipes to man! I've got pipe envy over here)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Only when running completely stock does the SP1 and SP2 show differences in mid range tq values and the tq curve via dyno runs.

With aftermarket exhaust and fueling (power commander or related) one sees little to no difference with mid range tq values and tq curves between the two configurations, from multiple dyno runs. This has been posted and discussed before in detail and no direct evidence has been given since to discount the existing modified sp1 to modified sp2 data. https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/11-...le-bodies.html

Last edited by kwtoxman; 10-19-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode