What is high mileage on RC`s - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bpw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What is high mileage on RC`s

Looking at several RC`s right now, 2001-2006 and have seen a range of miles on them from 6,000 to 32,000.

Being primarily a BMW guy 32,000 sounds pretty new, usually don't even balk @ 80k with BMW.

So what are the thoughts about miles on an RC? Assuming good care that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
It depends on how you define high mileage.

For collectibility and increased value it had better be low. The lower the better. There still new zero mile crated RC51 bikes out there.

For avg condition and use, it is not a huge amount of miles. The RC51 has been a statement bike for many people. So many bikes are low mileage. It skews the avg miles to even lower than sportbikes in general (which is lower to start with than the avg bike of other styles). I'd say 25K or so miles is an easy to find avg. Many bikes will be higher, many other bikes lower.

For durability, it is a notably higher number. A few bikes have worn oval (the cylinder head) and started smoking with higher mileage (50K miles) as reported here. OTOH, there are many more high mileage (>40k miles) RC51s out there working fine and well (wrt the fact that not a lot of RC51s have actually gone 50k miles or more and are still around, yet alone reported on the internet at discussed). I'd imagine the expectation for 200k miles reliable should easily be in reach (well maintained) and it could easily double. Engine reliability has long been a strong point in japanese bikes and japanese sportbikes.

All three are unique yet apply. Decide where you want to fall. Prices change hugely depending on which definition you apply.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 10-24-2016 at 11:03 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:06 AM
bpw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Why 01-06? SP1's are 00-01 sp2's are 02-06 you just left out the '00's lol.

Mine has over 30k on it and I ride it pretty hard a lot of the time, I dont consider it any where the end of it's life span. When looking used check the fluids make sure theres not coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant check for rust in the tank. You can look at the brake fluid to give you an idea if the bike was maintained dark is bad. If you wanna go a little in depth you can check the compression but unless it's blowing smoke it's more than likely fine. Bottom line, it's a honda it's built like a honda. Do some google searches theres several guys out there that went to adjust there valves at 20k-30k but there still in spec (I've been slacking I need to look at mine) that's just a testament to the skill set of the engineers at honda. I like all kinds of bikes so I'm not jerking you off honda's are built well. I wouldn't shy away from something with 30 on the odometer, or 40 for that matter. Now a TLr with 40k... eh that makes me nervous. And I'm a suzuki guy at heart.

I've found my RC burns through the consumables faster than my GSXR's CBR's and such. I'm curious if anyone else experiences this or is it just me enjoying the throttle more on the RC?

By "consumables" I mean chains sprockets brake pads tires you know stuff you expect to replace. I even blew the cush rubbers to pieces??? I think I may just enjoy the bike more than other bikes I've owned, by "enjoy" I mean flog lol.
bladeryda619 likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
my 1st 2001 SP1 had 62,xxx miles and ran perfect, shifted strong.

I know of a few guys with 100k miles and the their RC51s are still running strong, these things are built like tanks,

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode