Need some new street riding gear - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Need some new street riding gear

Well, having been out of the riding scene for a while, I have come to the realization I need some new gear.

Helmet, my current one is too small as it was a stop gap helmet when I was racing. I just ordered a new Arai RX-Q Duetet helmet. I found a good sale price on right now in Canada for Arai's. PM me if you are interested.

My current jacket rides up my back on the bike and that isn't optimal. And my gloves are blue and damaged from track riding. So I need a new jacket and new gloves. Let me know if you have any recommendations. My city will have very little inventory to see and touch so all help is appreciated.

My boots are a disaster from track duty. Time to get something new. I'm thinking of Sidi ST (not vortice any longer) boots. Any comments or other suggestions? They have been out for some years now so I'm wondering if a new boot line is coming from Sidi for 2013. Any ideas?

Last edited by kwtoxman; 10-21-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Congrats on realizing the shortcomings of your current gear. The following is a little broad, but hope it will help others as well:

The type of gear you wear is such a personal preference; lots of brands/models to choose from. I'd pick out several specific items that appeal to you and then search out reviews on those pieces of gear before purchasing.

Remember to get gear that fits properly so it has the best chance to do its job well and protect you in the event of an off.

I usually purchase my gear from site vendors such as Riders Discount or Sportbike Track Gear (gotta love STG's video reviews). A few other websites offer nice video reviews too, Revzilla comes to mind. Closeout pricing is a good way to score gear on the cheap; just be mindful of each company's return/exchange program so you don't get burned (common sense, really).

Several other motorcycle message boards have dedicated "helmet/gear" sub-sections where users post up reviews about their gear. Simply look at the very bottom of this webpage and you'll see all of the other "Motorcycle.com Forum Network" message boards that are owned by Vertical Scope. Chances are there are "gear" sections on each board and somebody has probably reviewed a specific piece of gear that you are interested in at some point in time.

G'luck with the hunt for new gear (end of season sales / Black Friday is just around the corner - should be able to score some killer deals!).

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

After some more internet reading I think I'll try the Sidi ST boots instead of the vortice. More streetable.

I've been checking jackets. I want something that is lower in the back so that it doesn't ride up when on the bike. The icon overlord prime and the technic violator have caught my eye. Does anyone have any comments on these jackets? Any sizing experience with them? I have seen the youtube videos on them.

Any other jackets I should be interested in?

Last edited by kwtoxman; 10-21-2012 at 10:54 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may not be the right one to chime in but...I'm a gear whore, I love the stuff. 2 piece 1 piece it all good but has to be leather.

I like Teknic stuff great price points. I find the sizing to be close, I wear a 42 sport coat and I have a 42 two piece Teknic that should be a 40. I also have a one piece Teknic that should be a 42 see what I'm saying.

I mostly wear one piece suits, I have an Alpinestars 1 piece 42 fits awesome, also a Speed and Strength 1 piece in a 42 fits really well.

I find Joe Rocket stuff to fit larger say a North American cut.

But my favourite suit by far is my Alren Ness 1 piece 40 I think very true to size.

I love Sidi boots, I find they fit a tad narrow go up half a size. Mind you I have duck feet.

As for gloves I'm using some Knox Handroids they are ok a little flash and gimmicky, I find them narrow across the palms mind you again my hands are like my feet wider than they are long.

My fave gloves if you can afford them are my Helds can't go wrong with any of them for fit comfort and quality.

I'm not a big fan of used gear...other peoples funk and all but I love closeouts like already mentioned check return policies.

But you have to try on sorry but it may be worth it for you to drive a bit to somewhere where trying on first is an option.

Btw I'm 5'7" athletic build, wide through the shoulders and upper back, slim in the waist and muscular but slim legs from football and martial arts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 PM

I bought the Arai RX-Q Duetet about 2 weeks ago, i love it only problem is it seems like its taking forever to get a dark shield as they have been on backorder for a couple of weeks now, and the stock shield is garbage, worst shield I've ever had about fogging up, might want to check in on a pinlock shield.

04 Nicky
Jardine slip ons
520 conv. 15/40 RK quick accel kit
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 AM

Check with riders discount they will get you a great deal on a shield and get it yo you fast

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
After some more internet reading I think I'll try the Sidi ST boots instead of the vortice. More streetable.

I've been checking jackets. I want something that is lower in the back so that it doesn't ride up when on the bike. The icon overlord prime and the technic violator have caught my eye. Does anyone have any comments on these jackets? Any sizing experience with them? I have seen the youtube videos on them.

Any other jackets I should be interested in?
I have the Technic Violator jacket. I'm 6' about 220lbs and I have a size 46. The jacket is great. Very comfertable and liner has got to be one of the best out of the jackets I have had (others include A* and Vanson Leathers). One of the only jackets left out there that still comes with a thermal vest liner. With the vest liner out it flows a decent amount of air. I'm usually ok until it gets over 85 F outside as long as I'm moving. I would stay clear of Icon only because they are more for the "show" and not the "go" IMO. Other good stuff to look at is A* if you can find a good deal. Try STG (sportbiketrackgear.com) and make sure you call Jason. You will get extra discount being a forum member. Big key with leathers is the less panels and stitching the less chance it has to come apart during a crash.

I also just ordered the Arai Corsair V Nicky 3 Stars and the helmet is very comfertable and stable at speed. Loads of ventilation but slightly loud. Rickybobby I also had trouble getting the dark smoke shield so I ordered the light smoke one which was in stock. I find it does a good enough job cutting down on the glare. If your having trouble with the shield fogging up then STOP BREATHING AT IT!!!! and open up the chin vent to keep it from building up. I don't have a fog problem with the stock screen. The smoke one won't be any different. It's the same as the stock one only tinted. Most helmets will fog weather you want them to or not when it gets a little colder out.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RuitRC51; 10-22-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added some more thoughts
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thx for all the good info so far.

Nice helmet rickybobbyv8.

For fogging, go to a dive shop and get anti-fog solution. Works great.

A ducati dealer finally opened up in town. They are the only people with more than cheap gear. I got to try on dainese and I'm a 54 and a back protector should fit. So I now know my size at least.

Can anybody compare dainese sizing to teknic? RuitRC51? Nobody? Anybody? lol

I'm going to pull the trigger shortly and will report back.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
Thx for all the good info so far.

Nice helmet rickybobbyv8.

For fogging, go to a dive shop and get anti-fog solution. Works great.

A ducati dealer finally opened up in town. They are the only people with more than cheap gear. I got to try on dainese and I'm a 54 and a back protector should fit. So I now know my size at least.

Can anybody compare dainese sizing to teknic? RuitRC51? Nobody? Anybody? lol

I'm going to pull the trigger shortly and will report back.
I just went off of the sizing chart on the website. The fit was pretty dead on. I would take a tape and check your chest and waste measurements to be sure. Size 44 chest and 34-35" waste on the sizing chart for a 44. There is about 2" of adjustment on the waste to snug it up.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Fogging...pin lock nothing better. As for sizing of Dainese I wear a 42 jacket with an athletic build and found a Dainese 42/52 a tad too big, sort of like my Teknic 2 piece I can wear a hoodie under the Teknic.

Mind you I like the jacket to fit rather snug. So I would say ya close to Teknic bear in mind some suits are cut different even though made by the same manufacturer, I guess depends on the category of the suit. Ie touring, race etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode