• 1 Post By madbuyer
  • 1 Post By RC-DEVIL
  • 2 Post By The Stig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From RC51 to CBR 1000RR

Do I dare to ask this question on here ?

Well here it goes .... I am thinking of making a switch from my 2004 RC51 to 2015 CBR1000rr Repsol edition...

I love my current bike but its age and recent no start issue started to scare me, I am afraid that I will have to start throwing bunch of money at it to keep it
running well.

If anyone has made a switch or has extensive butt time on both would love to hear from you.
Ergonomics, power delivery, comfort, passenger comfort (wife loves to ride), just over all experience compare to RC ?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I made the switch from a 2006 1KRR back to an RC...

While I do miss the roll on speed of the 1KRR, the RC has a unique feel that I missed more.

If you want speed and a bit more comfort, 1KRR.

It will be a matter of time before you are looking into an RC51 if you decide to make the move.
Motleyfan likes this.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I have had many RC51s but for awhile I had only a 2009 CBR1k (it burned oil? which was really cool....not) I did all the mods in the book to that bike, but in the end it felt "hollow". I never managed to use inline-4 power on the street and it was just another cookie cutter bike. What really bothered me was when I would go to a bikenight and there would be 15 just like it.

I ended up selling the CBR1k to get my current 2003 SP2, I will never sell it or be without a RC51 ever again.

The character of the bike, ownership experience, forum strength, cult-like following, amount of online data, and the people I have met through ownership are just a a few of the reasons I keep the RC around.

The RC51 makes the perfect amount of power and has the perfect powerband for my type of riding (backroads, mountain twisties, 60-120mph). It responds to modifications well and when those who know what they are looking at see it; it still drops jaws.

Both are torture racks for passengers, The RC is comfy for me and can be made relatively comfortable with a seat, clipons, and tank grips. I prefer the V-Twin, gear-driven configuration to 4-bangers, they really are not that much better unless your regularly doing 120+mph regularly.

....can you tell? I like RC51s
DannyBoy likes this.

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I am looking to pick up the new SP CBR1kRR, but I will NEVER get rid of my RC for reasons congruent to what RC-DEVIL mentioned.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for responding to all, these are all emotional reasoning that i hear

RC51 is a rare bike with a 'soul', i am totally on board with that !

I would like to hear from owners of ...2014-2015 generation CBR1000RR
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
By the law of averages, if you sell the RC51 and go to a jelly mold CBR you'll likely regret it and want to come back... Get the CBR first and if you really gel with it & never ride the RC51 again, then sell it.
CapeCodderRC and Trace like this.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
After owning a Triumph Tiger 1050 for a year, I must say that if I was to choose a bike to replace the RC51, I'd choose a Speed Triple.
That engine is perfect for the street. Tons of mid-range torque make it so easy to ride.
And with my Tiger, at around 75 to 85 MPH, it get around 52 to 56 MPG. Only when I get over 90 does it drop below 50 to 48 MPG.

Last edited by SubSailor; 01-23-2017 at 09:29 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Even though I didn't have '14 - '15 1000RR, I did have fully race prepped 1000RR track bike. And I'll tell you this, huge difference in power delivery. While RC51 rolls on gradually on easy throttle, 1000RR just lunges out after certain RPM, even on easy throttle. Frist time I ever rode RC51 I was scared, then 6 years later, first time I ever rode 1000RR, I was scared as well.
RC51 is a brutal ride, but it has soul like you mentioned. Plenty of soul in 1000RR as well, but the ride is much smoother, no vibration, no aching in wrist from clutch grab all day long.
If you are looking for a superior ride quality, 1000RR it is for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode