I thought I had messed up pretty badly. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I had messed up pretty badly.

Well, I haven't posted on this site in quite a while because i was having some issues with my bike. But now I have everything cleared up and am happy to report that my motorcycle isn't a stolen motorcycle but it is a recovered stolen motorcycle.

Let me explain, I was a caregiver for 8 years for my parents. 4 years for my father with cancer and then 6 months after he passed my mother was diagnosed with cancer and i care for her for 4 years until she passed. I spent a lot of time thinking about getting out on the road with a bike after years of being tied to them. After my mother passed I came across this RC51 on craigslist. I was so smitten with it i ran to the bank and got the cash that day and drove it home. A huge mistake i made was not making sure the VIN number matched the title. I had a lot going on at the time with the passing of my mother, moving out of state, taking care of other affairs I had going on. It was a dumb mistake I wont make again.

Almost a year after i had it and titled and insured it in another state i went to get a new rear tire put on. When the guy was writing up the invoice he said "I'm supposed to write down the VIN number on the invoice but its been ground off" I turned white and realized i might have bought a stolen motorcycle with what money i had saved up. I put about 500 miles on it but was always worried that i could be riding a hot bike i never went over the speed limit and was extra careful to not get pulled over. 2 months ago i had someone run a carfax on it and it showed up stolen. I was pretty damn upset, who do i call? Do i surrender the bike to the police? Am i going to get arrested? Its been almost 2 years with this weight on my shoulders not actually sure if the bike i have was stolen, if i was going to get arrested for receiving stolen property or what i should do about it. So after a lot of procrastination i finally called the National Insurance Crime Prevention something something and they told me that it was stolen at one time but had since been recovered and that i was the legal owner. They sent a notice to carfax to update the status of the motorcycle as not being stolen.

I bought it at an autobody shop and was hoping for this outcome but i was never sure and it had me pretty bummed out for a long time. Now that i know for sure i will be out and about riding without looking over my shoulder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cool! Glad it worked out. Still confused though....., since you mentioned the Original Title, did not match the VIN. Oh well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Now go out and
"ride it like you stole it!!"

:-)

glad it ended well for you!

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The only thing that worries me here is "I never rode it over the speed limit"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyll View Post
Cool! Glad it worked out. Still confused though....., since you mentioned the Original Title, did not match the VIN. Oh well.
Sorry, let me try to clear it up for you.

"A huge mistake i made was not making sure the VIN number matched the title." I just didnt look for the vin on the bike before/when i bought it. Its been ground off with a grinder. You can faintly see the vin number under the grinder marks and they do match the vin number on my title. Im just glad that who ever stole the bike didnt go any deeper.

Sorry for the 4 month late reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode