Apples to Apples ?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Apples to Apples ??

Hey gang...I have a question and thought I'd ask it here. Was talking to a few friends and the subject of parts came up and opinions starting flowing.

Pretty simple to know that OEM stuff is far better than EBay knock off's...but things like comparing Galfer lines vs. Speigler or CRG levers vs. ASV..at that point aren't we really talking about Washington vs. Fuji Apples ?

No brainer that Akro and Mori are great products and LB's are perhaps the best. But if a guy only has a budget of $1K to spend on a system that he can get today...then we are back to TBR vs Jardine. Isn't that simply different flavors of Apples ??

I have never heard of ASV, but I read some good things about them....they are in the same price point as my CRG's so at that point it is taste ??

Thanks !

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say you are absolutely correct CRG, ASV, Pazzo I would say are all comparable in quality and price.

I prefer the Pazzo's as I can drive 20 min and pick them up from my buddy who deals directly with the owner of Pazzo.

As with exhaust same again there is the obvious high end and then there is everyone else, everyone else are again on a level playing field compared to each other.

Same as leathers, helmets, and motorcycles. CBR, GSXR, ZX and YZF any one of these a crap bike? I don't think so...I think between these bikes the choices would be between displacement, brand and colour.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Look at Titax levers too.......I have a set and they are great quality.

I have had both brake lines with great results. I prefer the Spieglers as you can adjust the lines to remove the twisting that sometimes can occur if the fittings are crimped a bit off.

Now there are considerable differences in the quality of helmets and leathers. Another words, you get what you pay for

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Don't forget about Yosh's in that mid-level category. You can still buy brand new slip-ons form them. I had a set and really liked them for what they are. (I think they're the gala apples of exhaust. )

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks guys...I kinda thought as much, but you know how passionate bike / parts discussions can become

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

Ok how about this one...

So we know that Ohlins is the name we think of when it comes to suspension correct? Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but there were two different series of Ohlins forks for our bikes right?

I'm going to guess that first generation forks used the 20mm cartridges and the second generation used the 25mm cartridges. Right so far?

Ok so used these go from anywhere from $1600 to $2500? If I'm way off please chime in...

OK what you have here is a used set of Ohlins forks you just spent "x" amount of dollars for, personally unless I knew the person selling them to me I would take everything they said to me with a grain of salt, they are trying to sell their stuff.

At the least new fork oil, if you can't do it yourself a couple a hundred bucks? May as well put new seals in to be safe and it may need a re-spring another $150.

Seems like a lot of cash for used forks, I know they say Ohlins but the 20mm and the 25mm cartridges have been replaced with the 30mm kits.

For say $1800 all said and done 30mm kits for your stock Showa forks, I was told they would never need another upgrade and was told they will outshine the older style Ohlins with the 20mm cartridges.

Do we need to spend that kind of money? Well I know I can get 20mm cart installed with springs for around $900 but I would rather spend a little more and go with the 30mm kits with the separate rebound and compression valving, sprung for my weight and a little bit of DK magic and voila' Bob's your uncle.

Top shelf suspension for a less than new/used Ohlins, I don't care what the name brand is as long as it works and does what I expect it to do.

Will I be able to out ride the forks? I doubt it, but there is something to be said about trust. Trusting the equipment we are using is half the battle.

If your fighting your ride, then you are not riding to the best of yours and the bikes ability.

One other thing...if you must absolutely have to have radial brakes for your bike then I'd go the way Stig went and have aftermarket ones installed for about $700 while you are getting the forks done and what you get is top notch suspension with whatever calipers you want to add.

Now that would be a really, really sweet set up and to ME worth every penny.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 AM

I'm not 100% on this, but I understand ASV were the first with that style of lever and CRG kinda ripped off the design. I've got the Titax on my RC51 right now and Pazzos on my S1k, but after seeing and feeling the ASVs, I wish I had gone with them instead. I'm probably gonna be going with ASVs over the winter once I get some scratch together. Their C/5 levers have like this matte finish and a rounded design which feels really comfy.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee View Post
I'm not 100% on this, but I understand ASV were the first with that style of lever and CRG kinda ripped off the design. I've got the Titax on my RC51 right now and Pazzos on my S1k, but after seeing and feeling the ASVs, I wish I had gone with them instead. I'm probably gonna be going with ASVs over the winter once I get some scratch together. Their C/5 levers have like this matte finish and a rounded design which feels really comfy.
What color are the Titax levers you have??

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 AM

Gold with red adjusters.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee View Post
Gold with red adjusters.
Ding.....let me know when you are ready to part with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode