I bought myself a new project today. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I bought myself a new project today.

I've been lurking the net and UK forum searching for Yamaha TDR 250 information and inspiration...
I have a little Kawasaki KMX 200 (Single cylinder 2 stroke with 30 bhp) I've been using to pop down to the stores with but poor Kermit doesn't have that much get up & go!

So I've been hankering after a Supermoto style bike for years & always find myself looking at Honda CRM 250's & 2-stroke KTM's, even big single thimper Hussabergs, but their 20 hour engine life (Before needing a refresh) and uncomfortable seats put me off (Despite the riot I hear they are to ride)!

Then I remembered the TDR250! - 50bhp 2 stroke twin - often described by owners as the most fun bike they'd had in the past.
So I started looking around and they're not that sought after here.... & have good potential for modification.
By doing some google searches over the last couple of days I realised they're still well rated as fun bikes.
So I searched online and found one in good shape with only 11,300km for a decent price. I bought it!
I'd already pre-promised my wife I'd sell the KMX200 (Which I'm bored with, really) to help fund the change to the TDR.
The new bike should be here sometime next week, I expect...

Not too keen on the red metallic non original (Lexus?) colour, but apparently it's been professionally sprayed on. It does look fairly tidy & runs well so the seller says. Mostly I wanted a rust free bike with low mileage which it is - aside from the rusty spokes which won't be on the bike for much longer anyways.
All of my machines get modified so before taking the plunge I did a little research on alternative swing arms, upside down front end, Excel (Or other) 17'' Motard rims, complete exhausts with larger expansion chambers, re-jetting, reeds, better brakes, suspension (Probably a Maxton shock & fork re-work) hidden indicators, carbon bits, etc.
I like top quality things for the job so I don't have to make changes twice or more - don't care if it costs more than the bike's worth - this one should be another keeper, I reckon...

It might become something a bit like this one, I found as an example:

Won't be a project I do very quickly as I have my family & home to share my spare time with, but looking forward to 1st riding it and 2nd taking it apart and making it a lot better .

The SP2 is being used less and less these days, but it'll never leave my stable. I just need something smaller to get around with locally. I feel the RC's too special to be a runabout!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
That black/yellow bike is badass. Just lifting the front fender and getting inverted forks makes a big difference. Love the acerbis bark-busters!
Are 2 stroke bikes street legal in Japan? I thought they had strict emissions controls.

That should be a pretty cool project. That bike has great potential- but first thing first; you gotta get rid of that blk/wht graphic stripe.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I expect to make it better than the black one, in the end...
I might even just repaint it black (Or a dark grey perhaps), or another colour to begin with, but the stripes are going anyways. It's still 300km away and I haven't laid eyes on it yet - I bought it on the three pictures and description from an auction (Japanese tend to be very honest and this guy has excellent feedback, so I'm not worried...).

Yep, 2 strokes are perfectly legal in Japan. I wanted a 250 specifically, as it doesn't require any inspection ever...only renewal of compulsory insurance every 2 years (Which is cheap as chips for a 250). Not like over 250 which requires ball busting hurdle jumping... The SP2 will require another Shaken in 6 months.

No shaken on the 250 means it can get as modified as I want. So it's going to get a lot of stuff done over time...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 11-08-2012 at 11:36 AM.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Nice, nice.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet...I love ring dings. Smoke if you got 'em!!

post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Sweet stuff Stig, look forward to seeing this one take shape!!!
My next bike is a super moto as alot of the local guys here do track them as we have a super moto track here.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Great, now I will have something to ride if I ever make it back to Japan.

Great find....now get to work and post lots of pictures

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Looks like a gooder Stig. Does Japan still have that wicked hard testing and licensing requirements like they did 25 years ago? I remembe Denis Rouse (Rider Mag's former editor) went over and did the training and took his test. Passed, but just barely, was a real eye opener of a read.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Whilst waiting (About 10 days more!) for this toy to arrive, I've been doing some more reading up on it. Apparently it was only imported to Canada, but not the US. Shame, they're great bikes - ahead of their time being the original Supermoto before anyone had thought of them.

Here's a few clips.

0-100 mph (33,000km bike - wonder if the engine's still the original?): http://youtu.be/1zvvNh0SUSo

Yamaha's original promo video: http://youtu.be/s6-fThTFJec

Most have long since been neglected then forgotten. Apparently it's also possible to fit a tuned 500cc Yamaha Bashee engine to these, or 2 x DT200cc cylinders with a different crank for increased stroke. Not sure I'll do anything like that, but it would surely be interesting (If not lethal)!

Licence? - It's a tier system:. Up to 125cc on a car licence, 250-2 stoke or 400cc, then for full licence for big bikes there's another test. I never took it - swapped my UK licence for a Japanese one but I hear it's a pain in the @ss.
Was riding the KMX yesterday afternoon along country lanes behind our home, opening it up - and imagining what the TDR will be like with nearly double the power and much the same weight. Fun for sure, but I don't trust 21 year old suspension technology and weird 18 inch front wheel that it's difficult to get tyres for. Super sticky 17 inch Supermoto tires on wider rims and proper suspension for starters, before I explore just how far it will lean over. It's going to be a giggle bike.

Can you tell I'm a little excited about this ring ding?

post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Excellent choice my friend. It is not considered that light weighted bike really. It's nearly 350 pounds with all it's fluids. But the TZR 250 engine is awesome. Lots of power and torque.
If you turn it to a supermoto bike, I believe you will need to short gear it a bit cause in low rpm isn't that powerful and with the street tires sticking good on the asphalt that effect is amplified. You'll find out that a -1 tooth on the front sprocket makes it a lot more of fun on the street. But if you go for the 2xDT200 cylinders or an RD350 engine then it won't be necessary otherwise you will keep wheeling it on 3rd gear at 50 mph without clutch poping
This was a very popular bike around here during the 90's and at some areas still is.
It can literally go anywhere.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in