Just purchased RC. Need some help ! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Dutchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just purchased RC. Need some help !

Well last weekend I just purchased a 2002 RC, a great deal I couldn't pass up, one day deal, had to drive 260 miles one way to pick it up with cash to get it that day, and I had been looking for a good deal, and this one great, so it in the truck and off I went. Its only got a little over 14200 miles and in very good shape with added items like steering damper, Penske rear shock with remote reservoir, ( ?? model) , 520 chain conversion with a 42 rear, ( don't know what the front is yet), after market exhaust, Power Commander V ,and other stuff, some I plan on removing like the Nice Billet foot peg/rear brake assemblies on both sides, and looks like the VFR800 shifter, but I'm sorry, I also have a VFR800 and I am going to be riding both bikes, and there is NO way I will get used to the GP pattern. So, I got stock shift / peg assembly on the way, and of course the other side too so it will match. BUT...the guy was in a hurry and so it was look , ride, load, and on the road back again. SO .. we did not go over nothing hardly at all about the bike, so there may be a few things I am going to need to know from you guys. I do knw how to work on bikes as I torn my 2000 VFR apart and basically restored it, and have had bikes in the past. Right now I need to know something that I feel is..well....alright I will ask it...How do I get the seat off??? I cant seem to figure that out. I don't want to break or even "Tweek" anything. Oh and I hope it don't have anything to do wit the helmet lock thing on the back side, like my VFR, because its not there, I don't know if he had to remove it for the exhaust or what, but its not there, gone. And I'm sure I may some other questions that may be pretty simple in the future, and advice. But he battery is weak so first things first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welcome and congrats on the new bike!

As far as removing the seat goes, pull up on the back corner of the seat and you'll see a hex head bolt that needs to be removed, one on each side (2 total). It requires a 5 mm hex key, IIRC. Once both bolts are removed, just slide the seat backwards and off it comes.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dammit, you beat me to it. Like he said but mine has 2 bolts(10mm I believe)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THANKS Secondgen, glad it wasn't related to the key lock/helmet holder, which as I said, is gone. Well I don't feel too bad, When I have rode it the two short times, ( doing crazy things shifting due to the GP pattern) I noticed the back brake not working, but I figured most likely air, ( I knew I could fix it whatever it was when test riding, wasn't concerned due to deal) but I then at home looking at it, I noticed the rear caliper is almost behind the swing-arm, and pushed to the left, but I didn't mention he had just put on a brand new Bridgestone Battlax rear tire on, he said 0 miles, it looked brand new, and he mentioned it a couple of times, so that leads me to believe HE put it on there in his shop, well I noticed that when he put it on he missed the slot in the swing arm that the caliper bracket slides into and he went under and put the caliper behind the swingarm a bit, and when you mashed the break, it just pushed on the swingarm Now I would not had made that mistake, so I don't feel too bad not figuring out how to get a seat off.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
No helmet lock assembly on our bikes. Colin had his umbrella girl for that.... :-)

I never used the helmet lock on my VFR anyway...

Go over every nut, bolt and electrical connectors with a fine tooth comb, torque wrench and multi meter at the ready.
After reading what he did to the rear brake I would not ride the bike until I did....
jgspecial, Trace and secondgen7 like this.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.

Last edited by Dutchy; 05-04-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode