Rc551 in my future? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rc551 in my future?

Hello everyone. Im new to this forum but not to furoms in general. I have been on 600rr.net for a year or so. Having said that, obviously, I own a 600rr.
I absoloutely love the rc51 and always have. I saw one at a local car dealer in passing and called to ask about a trade. I own my 09 Phoenix edition and the dealer said he would work out a trade, no problem. Well...
I went to the dealership and inspected the bike. It was immediately obvious that she ad been laid down, but it looks like something minor. Light scuffing on the lower fairing and the windscreen brace is slightly bent. Also, the front indicators are missing and she needs new rubber. he only other little thing I noticed is that the cowl that covers the back seat was loose but I can fix that. Other than that the bike is straight and started up on the first attempt, with a little "struggle" but on the videos I have seen of the RC51s they also started slow. Sounded great with the aftermarket exhaust, but the mid-pipe has some surface rust.
I mentioned my concerns with the dealer and he offered a test ride and said that since it had the issues I mentioned, he would also give me some cash.
Final deal I worked out was his '03 rc51 w/20k miles and 1800$ for my 09 cbr600rr with 7500 miles.
I know It sounds like a bad deal for me since I ma essentially downgrading as far as year and mileage is concerned, but something is telling me that I am getting a decent deal. Am I just "starstruck"?
Also, I did a search and didnt specifically find an answer to this, but I want to know if there are any common issues with the rc51 that I need to look for? ie: bolts that loosen, common electrical issues etc.?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers!
-UNDRCOVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM

I say dont do it. You could sell your bike outright and buy a RC in better condition. In missouri a car dealership cant even sell a car without it passing inspection. Without the front blinkers it doesnt... So you know parts are not cheap for this bike and as available. I paid $3600 for mine and have seen mint condition Rcs for 5k so dont "hurry up and fuck up" so to speak

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The main reason I am considering it is because I only paid 5k for mine with 26, thats (twenty-six miles) on it. I was thinking that I could take the 1800 and make whatever repairs I need and still have some $ left over. I could replace the entire body, signals and still make a few mods that I want. It already has slip ons and grips and a windscreen. That is fueled by the fact that ive outgrown my 600. I am 6'4" 230lbs.
Am I dreaming? As you said, I really dont want to "Hurry up and fuck up".

I think I can take the $ and basically restore it, but I dont know that much about them. Hence, I need advice from this forum.
Thanks again.

Last edited by UNDRCOVR; 11-28-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Afterthought

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The rc was intentionally made to compete against 750's an ducatis of its time, your CBR c is way more advanced. If you really want the Bike sell it yourself for a better value. From the sounds of it the rc looks like it was neglected from common maintenance. Can the dealer provide maintance records? If your trying to upgrade for the purpose of performances this is probably not what your looking for....but if you want it that bad then go for it. Take off the fairings and look for and corrosion under the plastics under the radiators an such before your off, check how old the tires are, if more than 5yrs toss em for what you got on the CBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Tires definately need replaced. I have arranged for my dealership to check it out before I buy it, and the dealer agreed that if I left my bike with him that I could take it for a run. I have been looking at the RCs for sale and for the year and mileage, most are around 5k. The way I am looking at it is that I have 5k invested, so with the cash back I will only be paying 3200 for the RC, and have 1800 to invest back into it. Tires, maybe brake pads, new turn signals and a new windscreen mount woul have her looking sharp...other than the minor scoff on the faring.

I guess I need someone to talk me out of it and play devils advocate, and I need someone to tell my why I should make the trade. I know that my 09 is more advanced etc, and I dont do track days so I really dont max out my motorcycles potential, so the performance isnt an issue. I have read that the RC cant be beat in corners and I just love the V twin sound. My co-worker has a '12 cbr1000 and said he would trade it for his old RC today if the oppertunity arose and that, combined with the fact that I think they are sexy and just relly want one, is one of the main reasons I am even considering it.

Again, thank guys for the input.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
If the bike was totally clean I'd say fine, but it's not. As for value, you're still going backwards with the $1800 thrown in (I checked my Cdn Bluebook and you're beating yourself out of close to 2 grand if your CBR is in any kind of condition beyond average) . Especially considering the repairs (as mentioned it won't pass inspection so you likely can't title it) it visibly needs and you haven't got the history on it or the fairings off yet. It's your call but I wouldn't do it.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
the thing with rc51's is that when your near them they have (IMO) a very powerfull presence that sucks you right in. it isnt a fireblade, ninja, 600rr or a gsxr that you see all over the place, theyre rare (they are over here anyway). but the bad thing about this is they can cause you to fall in love very quickly and trade your own wife in for one. id take a step back from this and take a deep breath. the other guys are right, with the 600rr you can take your time and wait for a good rc51 with low miles at a dealer to come along. if you go down this road you could end up in a bit of trouble with some regrets.

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll say take your time and fine one, your better off selling your bike straight out and then find an RC51. Believe me when I say, I was the same way. I bought an 01 Rc51 off ebay without doing any research and I paid dearly for it. Come to find out after I bought it and joined the forum, it had ebay fairing, FPR problem weak battery, exhaust gasket worn and need a tuneup. The cost was good enough to buy a nice RC even today. Take you time the RC aren't going anywhere, no hurry
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM

ill give another vote for what everyone else is saying
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't, do it! Look around. You can find some near perfect ones for cheap!4200 and less. I got mine this year, 2000 totally stock and totally mint 3000 miles, for $5500. Its so clean and new I dare not molest it with any mods. Looking for another one thats not so cherry that I can do things to. Good luck searching but have patience they are out there.

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode