I feel that I may have set myself up for disappointment - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I feel that I may have set myself up for disappointment

My 03 is my first bike, however I did tool around on a 650 V-star a few times prior. I haven’t been on any other “sport” bike; just a Kawi 650R and a Z750R but for only an around the block test runs (trying to work out running issues).

When it can time that I could afford a bike, I started looking into 600s, being a Honda guy, the CBR F4i and RRs. Neither of them really struck me or made me want one. I didn’t know much about the RC at that time other than that they were selling for about the price as a newer used 600 and that I remembered wanting one in high school (for squid reasons). So the research began into the RC; race history, cool (I know it’s not the same bike); street characteristics, linear power curve, stability among other things, sounded like a good thing to have in a street bike. For about the month before getting one I just read threads on here and Zilla, RC51.org (good work Mike, I still reference your “Mods” page) and other sites. The more I read, the more I wanted a RC; no other bike did this. I have had my RC for about 2 ½ years now along with being a member on here and Zilla for about the same amount of time. I have about 20,000 mile under my belt on the RC. I know it’s a special bike and it’s never going anywhere without me.

I’m not really in the market for getting a second bike; but I’m always just looking. So when I read threads and post where other members state, how much fun the RC is to ride over other bikes; how that their friends didn’t want to give it back after riding one; that their RC is/was duly missed for reason “x, y and z”; or something along those lines. Even with talking to guys in my area, that ride, about the RC; I can tell they lust for one over what they ride now; one guy even has a nicely done up cross-plane R1. Hell the only bike I lust over is the NR750, now that is a cool bike. Is it the look, the sound, the feeling of ride or the racing heritage, I don’t know if it can be explained. What it is about the RC that just grabs ahold of us that have them? Call it pride of ownership, if you will, I’m sure others on here feel the same way when it comes to our treasured RC51s.

I know that no one can tell me if I’ll be happy owning another model of bike. I’m sure one day I will. This is just a thought that I felt to share with the forum. Not a question on what I should get for a next bike. I know there are many other bikes worth owning, if I could afford a second one right now I’d probably get a 996 Supper-Chicken. But feel free to post what it is about the RC51 that made you buy and keep yours.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Nicely put starter. Me it was the reliability and performance, I wanted more and now I have it. The Superchicken was nice but I kept running into RR problems. After 2 swaps I still was not satisfied, saw my Rc at a local dealer and traded in the old gurl for this one. After some new shoes and nice 45min ride back home it gave me all the right tingles the hawk did and more. Only thing I really liked more about the hawk was the 2up riding comfort. My wife knows better now, so she is looking at some Lil ninjas to ride along. This way we are both happy. Either way my memories of the past rides were always positive as each one served a purpose. This bike is amazing and as grow along with it I hope I can keep it for the many years to come.

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I think it is so incredible that a website like Zilla has a section for Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha and Suzuki along side the RC51 section. Then I saw that there were 1-400 people looking at each of the manufacturer sections and 1200 people reading in the RC51 section. Seriously? ... a bike that was produced in limited quantities, for only a few years, to reach such cult status? Then you have the flip-side, to have so much interest in one specific bike along with such horrible resale value. Hard to figure out sometimes.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
What turned me off about the RC51 is the promises it made, but never delivered on. Yes you got Honda reliability, fit and finish out of it. Traits that are basically non-existant in the current market from Honda, but it never handled all that great nor had the power either and the grassroots race parts never really materialized. It's still an extremely gratifying bike to ride quickly, but that is because it takes so much effort to hustle it around the track and if you do manage to whoop on another bike you know you were working for it and it feels so good to accomplish that.

Nostalgia holds me to still take an interest in the bike, but I left the RC because I was in need, not just want, of more performance. I wanted to go quicker and watch those lap times drop and it was not happening with the RC51. As an instructor and trackday junkie I still see quite a few RC51's out there on the track, but the majority of them are Intermediate class riders just out for a little fun. They are comfortable at a brisk trackday pace and usually have no desire to go any quicker so the RC51 does what is required of it and they are content riders in that capacity.

It's the riders that are challenging themselves to go quicker and attain some semblance of a proper race pace that find the RC51 disheartening and I feel their pain. When I instantly went 4 seconds a lap faster on a bone stock 1000RR versus my Ohlins suspended, carbon fiber clad dream machine RC51 it really opened my eyes and hurt me deep inside, but I couldn't deny the obvious. A year later on my 1000RR I was shadowing a couple seasoned test riders on their personal RC51's complete with all the goodies and I realized that based on sheer horsepower alone I could walk off and leave the RC51's at any point on the race track and then it truly occurred to me what the RC was up against and why it never satisfied me then like the 1000RR did. Considering I still ride my 8 year old 1000RR on a regular basis for pure fun factor that says a lot to me.

It all depends on what you require from your bike. I know guys that tour on VFR's and would never in a million years consider an RC51 or 1000RR as a viable replacement and when you look at what they do it makes perfectly good sense why they feel that way, just like I feel about my 1000RR and others feel about their RC51. It it fits your requirements it will be your choice for many many years.

Oh & don't believe the view numbers reported on any web forum. They have bots everywhere to increase hit counts for advertising money
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Oh & don't believe the view numbers reported on any web forum. They have bots everywhere to increase hit counts for advertising money
I trust your opinions, but can't understand why all the bots like reading about RC51's so much.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I'm not saying there isn't some legitimacy to the numbers just be aware they are falsely inflated in the majority of cases.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nicely said LDH...I for one love my RC but if and that's a big IF I was in the market for a "new" to me bike I think it would be a CBR1000RR.

I have access to a buddies '09 and it is a blast to ride, hella fast and handles well being that is Ohlins suspended front and back with forged mag Marchesisnis.

It's a lot of fun and on the boil sounds like a screaming banshee with the Taylormade exhaust...but for whatever reason my buddy always wants to ride my RC? Slower, heavier and definitely fatter but I can ride his bike as long as I want whenever we swap, I wonder why that is?

I think because it's just a fun bike to ride at a spirited pace...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post

It's the riders that are challenging themselves to go quicker and attain some semblance of a proper race pace that find the RC51 disheartening and I feel their pain. When I instantly went 4 seconds a lap faster on a bone stock 1000RR versus my Ohlins suspended, carbon fiber clad dream machine RC51 it really opened my eyes and hurt me deep inside, but I couldn't deny the obvious. A year later on my 1000RR I was shadowing a couple seasoned test riders on their personal RC51's complete with all the goodies and I realized that based on sheer horsepower alone I could walk off and leave the RC51's at any point on the race track and then it truly occurred to me what the RC was up against and why it never satisfied me then like the 1000RR did. Considering I still ride my 8 year old 1000RR on a regular basis for pure fun factor that says a lot to me.

:
but thats not really a suprise and doesnt dishearten me, cos everyone knows that its bikes like the zx7r and other I4 750's that the rc51 goes up against. so going up against an I4 1000 and the rc51 coming off worse doesnt suprise me and im cool with it.

what attracted me to the rc51 was the was it looks, how rare it is (over here anyway), the v-twin growl with coupled with the gear driven cams sound effects, the amazing torque and finally the usability on the roads.

on the road i can (if im carefull) get the power down and the revs up, pushing the rc through its paces. IMHO you'll very rarely get the chance to use all the power and speed of a fireblade on the road, cos its too bloody fast and you'll kill yourself or loose your license. fireblades are perfect for on the track, the rc51 cant compete with the high end speed, but all that speed cant be used on the road, its total overkill.

but the rc is the perfect blend of noise, looks, torque and usability for the road. thats why i got mine

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
LDH always make valid points, even when not asked for.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
If you're a speed junkie, there's always a ZX14. It's the intangible of the RC51 that does it for me, and nothing more (I know that sounds freaking wierd). Lots of you know I'm no track rider so I don't pretend to know much more than what I see and hear from those that are. I do however, have my share of seat time on many bikes over the last 40 years and I love the CBR1000rr. The sheer ease with which it goes Goddamn FAST and how well it does everything (forget that it doesn't have the whizbang gadgetry of the ZX or the S1000rr) they're still just about the best all round litre bike available. Look at the Isle of Mann stats and that says it all. But I love my RC51 like no other bike I've owned. As for another bike, for me I just have to go to the opposite end of the spectrum and I have that in my Goldwing(s) present and past.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode