Why have fairing sliders? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Question Why have fairing sliders?

I'm thinking of taking off the RC51 fairing sliders I have on my bike if I ever replace the side plastics with new ones.

I just don't see a need for the sliders. I don't like that you have to drill the RC51 side plastics to put them on. And for me, they don't add any significant protection. The bike will still get damaged in any side down action. It may be less damage with a slider but insurance here is actually useful so it would be used to repair the bike anyway.

Pros -
Saves bike from potential additional damage

Cons -
Does not prevent all damage, just potentially saves it from addtional damage
Have to drill fairings
Can catch on curbs, etc causing more damage that without them.

What are your thoughts on sliders? Am I missing pros? cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The ones I have on the RC are about as useful as tits on a bull, they came with the bike but if I had to choose I would jettison them asap.

They won't help much and if I throw it down the road and the last thing I'm thinking about is the plastic if I did...

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The sliders are really to protect things like the engine and radiators, not the fairings. They do usually reduce the amount of damage to the fairings, but on a bike like ours, there is no getting around damaging the fairings completely.

If you have the higher style that thorsten makes, they protect the tank better as the lower ones are below the center of gravity and pivot the bike onto the tank when. I think a set of axle sliders front and rear combined with non-folding footpegs can really help in a fall, but what do I know? I've never been down.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Banned

Lol me neither...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I think the idea is simply saving the mechanicals, trackers will be wearing cheap track plastics anyway.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Lol me neither...
Yeah, it's funny because people tend not to believe me when I say I've been riding for over a dozen years and never went down on the street.

I don't count the first day when I taught myself how to ride and dumped my ninja 250 in my buddy's gravel driveway at about 10mph. I actually own my first bike again and I am racing it next year in the wmrra 250 class.

Scrapes from first time I ever rode a motorcycle:

12 years later, dragging peg and exhaust the first time I took it to the track back in October:

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
im glad i used frame sliders/crash bobbins on my first bike cos it went down twice, not in the way you think. first time was when i forgot i had my disc lock on and second was when i pulled into my back garden, stopped put my foot down to balance the bike when stationary and put my foot onto some slidy moss (motorcycle racing boots have little or mo grips) and my foot slid out from under me and the bike went down.

so both drops were at at zero speed, but the bike was unscathed thanks to the frame sliders. so seriously condidering these for the rc

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM

The frame sliders good/bad debate has been a long discussed one. From what I've seen/heard, the sliders are awesome in the event of a lowside that doesn't leave the pavement. On the RC51 it will do it's job and keep the radiator from being destroyed and most likely the bike will be rideable. You also need to factor in speed and how hard the impact with the ground is. Once the bike leaves the road into deep gravel or grass esp. uneven ground, they can catch and tear off or cause the bike to highside. Usually at that level, the bike was done anyways. I would suggest against any slider that doesn't bolt directly on (not an issue with the RC, but on other common sportbikes they have the "no cut" sliders) as the bracket is the weak point usually. From my small lowside years back and most of my buddies', they have done their job. They are not there to save your fairings, they do however protect the frame/engine/hard parts.

Long story short, they are great in MOST lowsides.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I don't see how the sliders would save the rads unless the bike slid forever and ground through a lot of plastic, or otherwise was sliding on very rough pavement. But in rough pavement there is a chance the slider could catch and cause the bike to start bouncing or worse.

I remember sliders originally coming out to protect the frame. Many earlier sportbike frames were very susceptible to rash/scratches when the rubber side wasn't down. Hence the old name frame sliders. The RC51 frame is cocooned inside of bodywork and the tank is much fatter as well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
I don't see how the sliders would save the rads unless the bike slid forever and ground through a lot of plastic, or otherwise was sliding on very rough pavement. But in rough pavement there is a chance the slider could catch and cause the bike to start bouncing or worse.

I remember sliders originally coming out to protect the frame. Many earlier sportbike frames were very susceptible to rash/scratches when the rubber side wasn't down. Hence the old name frame sliders. The RC51 frame is cocooned inside of bodywork and the tank is much fatter as well.
What I meant by that is they should stick out further than the radiators. If the bike falls over it can crush them. That's not why they are there, it's to protect the frame and engine. Just an added benefit. By all means remove them. I'm only using them because they were already on the bike and the fairings I picked up were pre-cut for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode