pillion riders - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
pillion riders

after a long tiome my wife is still apprehensive abou going on the back of my bike. she said she prefered my old 400 where she could put her hands round past my waist and put her hands on the fuel tank.

on the rc she can barely reach the tank and cos its such big bike she cant cuddle in to meand use my body to steady her as shes too far back.

any of you guys have a system in place with your wife/girl/pillion when on the rc where you can go at a reasonable pace? plus i dont wanna fork out for one of those tank rail things, unless its absolutely neccessary.

Honda SP1.5 owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hello, Polarbear.
Here is the link to a Pillion Belt near you.
http://www.bustersclassic.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=PP
My late father was a cadet in the Pakistan Navy in the late '50s & stayed with a Scottish family for a brief period, while training in the UK. Had nothing but very good words for the Scots.
And if you're reading this, Subsailor, Dad also trained at the Great Lakes Naval Station in 1965, North of Chicago. He was an Electrical Engineer. I still have some momentos from some of his friends there, like the Marine Corps tie clip that I still use to this day, as a reminder of him.
As always, Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.
P.S. I'm at work right now & looking at the 'photos on RC-51 Forums, in between the odd patient or two. Not a good sign ... ... .. .
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
after a long tiome my wife is still apprehensive abou going on the back of my bike. she said she prefered my old 400 where she could put her hands round past my waist and put her hands on the fuel tank.

on the rc she can barely reach the tank and cos its such big bike she cant cuddle in to meand use my body to steady her as shes too far back.

any of you guys have a system in place with your wife/girl/pillion when on the rc where you can go at a reasonable pace? plus i dont wanna fork out for one of those tank rail things, unless its absolutely neccessary.
My wife used too ride with me all the time, then we had kids...LOL
She would put her arms around my waist and onto the tank for the most part or grab me kidneys if I left a light a lil too quick. I would say your wife is on the smaller/shorter side ??? Mine is 5.6 and could reach the tank fine....You may end up getting that tank passenger bar attachment thingy IMO, if your really want her on it with you it is a small price to pay.
Dr.Rahi......your officially an addict!!! My Perscription??? go for a ride!!!

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites

Last edited by Duckhunter; 12-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Dr.Rahi......your officially an addict!!! My Perscription??? go for a ride!!![/QUOTE]

Ha, ha. Good advice, Duckhunter. And I'll 2 aspirins, but won't bother you in the morning, just in case !
The ONLY time my wife got on the bike behind me, she did not relish the experience. And I literally went just up & down the road in front of my house. I did not even take the first curve, where the speed limit was 45 MPH, but one that you could take with a big margin of safety, at 65 MPH.
She later told me I had made a big fuss of making sure she looked over my inside shoulder, toward the lean.
Maybe I talked a little too much during my explanations & made it more complicated (& scarey), for her.
Just like I'm talking too much, right about now .... .. . .
Where's that RIDE of mine ?!?
As always, Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM

I cannot explain why, my wife is a good rider and a horrible passenger. She either leans the wrong way, or not at all, and I have to fight my way through turns with her on the back. One day her mother was over for dinner and somehow the topic came up. Her mother was a fixture on the back of her husband's bike and wondered if it was the suspension or my inability to cope with the additional weight. I suggested we give it a try. Mom hopped on the back of my bike and we went for a ride. Despite her mom weighing more than my wife, I could barely feel that she was back there and it was a pleasure riding with her. It was certainly not me, or the bike, and we both placed the blame on my wife. Since she has her own bike, and does not enjoy being a passenger, that opened the door for high mount exhausts and removal of the passenger pegs!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm out of this one guys...no one I mean no one rides pillion. Want to ride with me? Better have your own ride. I'm just not big on taking someone else's life/fate in my own hands.

Honestly this may sound a little unfair but I will not usually ride with newbies either, you have to have some years and some serious kms under your belt before you are considered riding with my very tight knit group of about 5.

Sorry I just don't trust a lot of riders I don't know, I've seen enough newbs in the weeds/rhubarb who rode above their limits and would just not heed the groups warnings.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Here's what happened on my last group ride before I shipped to Riyadh .... .. .
Mid Feruary 2009: It is a beautiful Sunday & I'm riding with 3 friends, one of whom was the Service Manager @ Honda of Houston NW. We were filling up on gas at the corner of 290 & FM 362, just outside the NW suburbs of Houston, when we saw about 20 odd riders on Sportbikes. All the guys were Black & had the same kind of leather jackets with their MC club logo on them. We headed North on 362, barely a minute after them. Just a few short miles down, right after a sharp lefthander, we saw all of those bikes parked by the side of the road. Except one, off on the grass. This was on a 2 lane country road. As I pulled up behind my buddies to help, I kept saying no, no, oh no ! & young CJ saw the expression on my face. Don't worry & hang in there, Doc, he said to me or something to that effect, but it was a blur. I was focused on getting to the fallen rider. He was lying in a drainage ditch, with what appeared to be a broken left forearm, but still awake & alert. It was then I noticed his almost severed right foot that was just dangling by a thin piece of skin. There was bleeding. He kept asking me about his foot & I tried to reassure him as best I could, while I tended to him. At the same time, I noticed that one of his buddies was standing by his head, talking to someone I assumed was his wife. I told his friend to let her know that he was alive, as people will assume the worst whan they find out about a motorcycle accident. I made sure he let her know that he was "okay". Well, in a very short while, Texas DPS came by & helped me tend to him. Fifteen mins. later, the LifeFlight chopper cut thru the air & landed on the road next to us & I helped load the guy onto the helicopter.
I found out where they took him & visited him at the Texas Medical Center (Methodist Hospital), when I knew that he'd be out of the ICU. When I arrived on the Medical Floor, they had just shifted him out of Critical Care & his Mom, brother & family were waiting to go into his room. I introduced myself, at which point his Mom came over & hugged me. I had tears in my eyes, as well. The guy & his family said that if I hadn't been there, maybe he would not have made it. I told them that I had nothing to do with his survival. Only God did. I firmly believe that it was not his time to go just yet.
The interesting part of the whole story was that my friends & I waited for about 45 mins. by the side of that rider, until all was said & done. When I went to my bike to don my gear, a bunch of the injured riders' buddies came over (& they were mean looking as hell), & shook my hand, thanking me for everything we had done. And there they stood, by the side of the road, until we all disappeared into the distance. I nervously kept looking in my mirrors to see if they would follow (!), but I guess they were surprised that our Anglo-Hispanic-Middle Eastern Group was the one that stopped & rendered aid & succor.
The way I look at it, I had no other choice. And of course, I was bound by my oath as a professional, as well. I would at least expect the same from another human being.
Thanks for listening, guys. As always.
I'm thinking of writing a book, "Rambling Notes From the Road By A Rider" (!).
Take Care & Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.

Last edited by Muhammad Atif; 12-24-2012 at 11:48 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Riding with a passenger means a totally different kind of ride than a solo ride. My RC currently has no passenger seat, or pegs, and I am not looking for any.

A few weeks back, I read a post where somebody was wanting information on how to set up his RC51 suspension for 2-up aggressive riding and, rather than being rude, I did not respond. On that point I feel pretty close to how you do.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92VFR View Post
Riding with a passenger means a totally different kind of ride than a solo ride. My RC currently has no passenger seat, or pegs, and I am not looking for any.

A few weeks back, I read a post where somebody was wanting information on how to set up his RC51 suspension for 2-up aggressive riding and, rather than being rude, I did not respond. On that point I feel pretty close to how you do.
I hear ya...to me it's my escape, hard to lose yourself in the road/moment/trip if you are worried if your passenger is enjoying themselves.

I just find that with 2 up the bike and myself just don't enjoy the ride.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I'm out of this one guys...no one I mean no one rides pillion. Want to ride with me? Better have your own ride. I'm just not big on taking someone else's life/fate in my own hands.

Honestly this may sound a little unfair but I will not usually ride with newbies either, you have to have some years and some serious kms under your belt before you are considered riding with my very tight knit group of about 5.

Sorry I just don't trust a lot of riders I don't know, I've seen enough newbs in the weeds/rhubarb who rode above their limits and would just not heed the groups warnings.
Seen that all to many times, seemed like every bike night for a while there was 1 or more into the weeds..... then we were shut down by Vic P.D...and the local club disbanded.
squids just do not listen and try to rush there skills. Not the way to learn.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode