SP1 Track bike build - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
SP1 Track bike build

Forgive the ramble:

So recently I have been through a bit of a rough couple of months. I lost an old friend to Cancer, had a relationship breakdown andwas being chased for a massive tax bill. This left me thinking I had to sell the SP2 and my car just to clear some debt, move house and be ready for whatever the outcome of the HRMC appeal would be.

After I sold my car, I felt quite a bit better about things but decided that whilst me and her try and work things out and I may yet still have to sell the SP2, I wanted to buy or build a track bike on the cheap, something that I could get stuck into, take my mind off things and also have a hobby for next year.

Thanks to @Adamsp1 *of this here parish I bought a project SP1. Adam is a brilliant and very generous bloke who gave me the bike and parts at a frankly ridiculous price as he wanted it to go to a good home and he is a fellow SP lover (Adam has a SP2 that is way nicer than mine and done properly, probably the best one in the UK IMHO)

Anyhoo the bike was a non runner, had been partially stripped to turn into a trackbike and came with a SP2 arm and some track bodywork (not fitted) and a whole bunch of spares.

So the plan is to sell off any road gear I dont need, horse trade any parts I have from the SP2 build for trick bits and also call in favours from the SP vendors and friends I have and so far its going very well..

Goodies to keep:

Turn One airbox

Moriwaki clip ons

SP2 arm

Parts sold so far:

Road seven stars bodykit and tank (tank*swapped for a good standard one)

Dodgy Chinese rearsets

HRC copy type exhaust (based on stock*SP2 headers)

Few parts yet to sell:

Wheels

Brake discs

Rear subframe

Pazzo levers

Boxes of spare indicators, lights, levers and MC's

Parts bought:

SH Ethos full Ti system

SH Ohlins rear shock

Kyle racing link

TSR rear sets

Brembo RCS Mc

Oberon slave cylinder

TSS slipper clutch

Factory pro gear selector kit

SH CBR1000RR 2013 wheels

SH Braketech Iron discs

So far in parts I am about £1k in the red

I have also horse traded a few bits and peices including the DHC rear tail unit for a Speedcell Li battery and a HRC copy type subframe. I am going to use the SP2 forks I have from the other build, which are on their way to MCT for a rebuild and re-valve.. should be fun.

As I got it:

Untitled by M, on Flickr

Back at mine:

Untitled by , on Flickr

The track fairing was a pain to fit, as always, lots of cutting and grinding needed. (belly pan yet to fit, waiting for the Abba stand kit so I can lift it properly)

111 by , on Flickr
So when the forks and swingarm bearings are back with me then the build can start proper. I just have to move house in the next couple of weeks too so that will slow stuff down but the*plan is to be ready for next seasons track days, Im planning one a month. Lets see how it goes.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Pic whoring of parts:

Beautiful TSR rearsets
Untitled by , on Flickr

Ohlins rear shock and Kyle racing link, this came with a Brembo RCS and a 520 C&S conversion from my good friend @LDH at a cracking price.
Untitled by , on Flickr

TSS slipper clutch plus the Factory Pro shift kit will help on track:
Untitled by , on Flickr

CBR1k 2013 wheels going into the bike (will be painted black) with the SP2 rear arm and underslung caliper kit
Untitled by , on Flickr

Amazing Ethos full Ti system, super light and very rare
P8090946 (Large) by , on Flickr

This SP2 arm is a bit rough, it was painted black but a bit of blasting and some elbow grease is getting it to brushed bare aluminum EU spec:
Untitled by , on Flickr
sbkdrew, LDH® and budoka like this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Subscribed.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Now wiring has never been my strong point, however I can solder two bits together and then heat-shrink etc.

I was going to get Rupert Paul to make me a race harness as he is a genious with these things but the budget has gone on other parts for now so I had a go myself at stripping some stuff back. I examined the wiring diagram carefully to try and ensure anything I took out wouldnt stop the bike from starting and running.. What could possibly go wrong? :huh:

So I removed the LH switchgear and all lighting relays plus cut back all lighting wiring. Ive left enough so that each colour can be identified in the future and it all be put back, each wire cut and the ends covered with a bit of heat-shrink to seal, followed by fresh tape wrapping it all back as neat as I can get it. I found a ton of bodges and past repairs in the loom, some very suspect "tied together and a bit of tape" scenario's plus the odd brass bullet connector unshielded. So that was all cut out, re-soldered and heat shrunk before re wrapping too.

The underseat arrangement is a bit strange, a past owner has pop riveted on a plate and then tie wrapped the ECU and PC3 to it with the fuel cut and tip over relays just floating about. So the ECU and PC3 have been velcro'd down and the relays tied up out of the way. It looks a bit shit but hopefully it should be ok.

Ive tried to tidy it as much as I can.

Last little job here is to decide on whether to keep the plugs for the switchgear or cut them back too, plus I need to remove the PAIR air injection emmissions bollox as well. Ive fitted the blanking plates but also need to remove that wring too..

Headlight looms, relay and indicator wiring gone:
Untitled by , on FlickrRear lighting looms, indicators and relays gone:
Untitled by , on FlickrUntitled by , on Flickr
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

SP2 arm in with the Ohlins and linear link. Fitting kit custom made by Andy G
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Squeezing in jobs where I can:

Fitted the tyres to the painted CBR wheels, rear disc, under slung caliper on and the rearsets look lovely. Tried to modify a CRF rear master cylinder but the threaded plunger is too long (even when cut down) to give decent lever position so I need a stock one or make a bracket.

Front wheel will go in when the forks come back and if im honest, this project is getting a bit serious so I may break out a few goodies I have stashed to do it properly, we will see.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Slow but steady progress, the Brembo Mc and HRC QA throttle are on, as is the DHC snorkel and Moriwaki clip ons. I also have done a CBR6 plug top coil conversion with help from freinds on the UK SP2 forums. The SP1 TB's are being binned and replaced with some 4 injector 12 hole SP2 TB's for better power and response etc. Ive finally fitted the Ethos full Ti system properly along with loctite on all the rear set bolts etc.

New 1.5 threaded caliper bolts arrived meaning I can fit the Brembo CNC calipers once I have the disc spacers. I managed to get a tatty but nearly new set of Braketch irons like the SP2 in CBR1k fitment but I also have some Brembo's for a good price so may stick with steels.. we will see.

Loosely fitted:Untitled by , on Flickr This exhaust is fucking amazing and only weighs 4lbs in total:
Untitled by , on Flickr
Lots going on here, SP2 reworked forks with valve kit, CBR1k front wheel, Carbon snorkel, Brembo RCS, HRC throttle etc
Untitled by , on Flickr
Brembo CNC's to go onUntitled by , on FlickrTook the TurnOne airbox off to get rid of a load of excess pipework, Pairs emissions shite and the like, I am also deleting the coolant reservoir and using a little HRC bottle. Loads of shite under here needed cleaning as to be expected. Valve clearance will be checked and adjusted before it all goes back in.
Untitled by , on Flickr
LDH® and mc-sp1.nl like this.

Last edited by MJay; 10-04-2017 at 02:35 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:59 PM

Yumm... nice build!!!!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapmods View Post
Yumm... nice build!!!!
Thanks dude, its getting there, some mods left to dry fit then its getting some motor mods (slipper clutch and Pro shifter) a full service including valve clearance, then it?s being built up and painted ready for the first track day in February.

Last edited by MJay; 10-04-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting that your still using the DHC unit ram air after all that trouble last year......looks like Shaan's old unit.

Anyways looks good Mjay.

I had a Slip on Ethos while ago...I have only seen one other full system and gts455 owns it.

Good luck with the build.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode