Polarbear's rant! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Polarbear's rant!

Im pissed off with my RC at the mo and needs to have a nice big fucking rant!

as all of you know im pretty shit when it comes to mechanical stuff. but a few guys on here have convinced me to have a go at doing some service/winter work to the bike myself, which i was contemplating doing anyway. so opened the garage, took off the rear caliper and replaced the pads (first time for me and it felt pretty good)

took the bike out the garage, both to ride it out for a quick 10 mins to stretch its legs and to see how the wife feels on it as she was a bit uncomfortable last time, and it wouldnt start! kept turning over but wouldnt start, to the point where the battery almost died from trying too hard.

so for the first time since ive owned the rc, i tried to remove the tail myself to get to the battery, to put it on a charge, and ended up snapping the right side of the panel, after trying to be really gentle with it too. so now theres a nice hairline crack near my seat (not very noticable, but its there)

got the battery charged and went out with the wife. she loved it, until the rc decided to run on one cylinder (sounded gut wrenchingly awful) and felt like it was down to 20% power and refuse to rev above 4,000.

decided to get it home quick to cause least stress then the temp warning light went on the dash when i was almost home.

so now the bike is back on the garage till i change the oil and filter and front pads when they arrive. then fire it up again to take (or limp) to my local garage where the spark plugs, (prob whats causing all this) brake fluid and clutch fluid can be changed finally.

but until my oil and pads arrive i dont want to even look at the bike, especially with a nice hairline crack on it.

rant over

thanks for listening

Honda SP1.5 owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yeah that rear cowl is a tight fit and it's quite thin ABS.
I have no idea how I've managed to remove/install mine so many times without damaging it.
It does take some finesses and lots of patience.
Even then I hold my breath at times.

What you can do is order a carbon-fiber replacement rear cowl and panel from Tyga Performance.
Not only is it gorgeous carbon-fiber, but it's cheaper than OEM.
Who can not like that!

http://tyga-performance.com/site/pro...oducts_id=1835
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Sorry for your trouble Polarbear, if at all possible I heat up my garage before removing any plastic pieces.

I know hind sight is a bitch but you are not the only one who has experienced this.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357176428263.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	4214
I put the tyga carbon bits on my 04 and added the stock decals.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
I have no idea how I've managed to remove/install mine so many times without damaging it.
It does take some finesses and lots of patience.
Even then I hold my breath at times.
Oh man, I have been there SOOOOO many times....Held my breath EVERY time I had to remove the MAWF**KER. This is my main reason for doing my own version of an SP1 cut down race subframe and battery relocate.

Polarbear, Very sorry to hear of your troubles.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
appreciate that lads, makes me feel a little better. would have got carbon fibre replacement but would have to get it all painted too, and thats too expensive right now.

you guys agree that gettin the spark plugs replaced should sort the running on one cylinder and startup probs?

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Cheer up, mate - Mistakes are how we learn to do things better next time!

It's possible there may be a loose connection somewhere now that would cause the loss of ignition on one cylinder, it's not likely to be spark plugs I think.

Check www.plastex.net and get a repair kit there - this would stop the crack from spreading. Use a wide piece of fresh masking tape to hold the crack together before glueing.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
if you want to just charge the battery, all you have to remove is the rider's seat. Not the rear cowl...I really don't understand why you went through all this trouble.
Anyway, looks like your RC needs some good maintenance.
You said that you were cranking it but it wouldn't start but after charging the battery it started. That tells me that you were cranking it on low battery juice and that was wrong in the first place. Apart from that, cranking it in low batt juice damages your starter clutch as well and I hope you don't have to find out how much it costs to replace that set.

I would recommend you to start reading the service manual up close and understand it well before doing anything on the bike, otherwise you will end up paying a lot of damage control funds just to learn a few "deeper" things on the RC.
For serious works on it, better to take it to a pro and make sure that it is safe above all for you and your wife.
And make sure of your skills on each job you do on it before taking a passenger cause any "half done" job will not have effects only on your safety, God forbid!

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Well said Makis buddy.....Heard through the vine you got that link and speedo healer from our friend Agent Clarke. Enjoy Those friend...I stole the shock!!!

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I also doubt it is plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode