Your most memorable ride. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Your most memorable ride.

Thought it might be fun to have a thread about our most memorable rides.
Would be good to post pics if you have them. Can be on your RC51 or another bike, doesn't matter.

I'll start:

22 years ago, a friend & I decided for our summer break we'd ride our big single trials bikes from UK to Greece & back, using only back roads. This is a memory of one day's ride, on our 2nd day in the South of France, close to the Alpine roads.

It's one road I'll never forget, perhaps aptly called the D911. Both of us were single and fearless if not foolish. Each bike was loaded with tent, sleeping bag, satchel with our belongings, spares, etc. My friend's was an XT600E, mine - a Honda of course, an NX650 (Dominator), both shod with sticky semi off-road tyres. It was a warm morning and the road was empty except for the two of us. What was meant to be a brisk pace had turned into a race of sorts. I was in front, trying to widen the gap between us and he was behind saying "No way he's losing me!". Tarmac was smooth and recently laid and footpegs of our over-laiden bikes were scraping the ground regularly but no matter how hard we tried to beat the other the gap stayed much the same. 3rd gear sweeping corners just kept coming one after another for what seemed hours and it was sweet we were so evenly matched.

Eventually as we reached a small town we stopped and realised there were muscles in our legs we didn't even know existed that were now aching from all the braking & gearchanges we'd been doing. As students we didn't have much money, so our diet was fresh baguettes, cheese, tomatoes - and to drink, water from our plastic jerry cans, but we treated ourselves to a bath in a fast flowing river before putting on all of our clothes and heading for the highest point we could find on the map, to pitch our tent.

After riding around 400 miles a day - Each night we'd do this, often camping on empty fields, or wealthy people's back gardens (No cars & no lights meant there was nobody home! ) and the sights that would be before us each morning were often breathtaking. In a month we toured about 7 of the Cyclades Islands, before returning to the UK with many adventures & discoveries in between, but that morning's racing through the french D911 will always stay firmly and fondly in my mind.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Nice story Stig.....
My most memorable ride LOL, yeah that was a gooder. Ended up with a ticket of $360 dollars. I had picked up my RC about two weeks before this ride.....and I had yet to see just what this monster could do. Well well.....I was traveling over the Malahat here on the Island about 20mins from town on a Sunday afternoon as I had a 9-5 Mon-Fri Job then.
On the way up the mountian from Victoria side there is some nice sweepers and such....I was motoring doing in around 140-220kmh just having a blast, very little traffic as I am not one to go around buzzing cars. Well I got to he top of the Malahat drive and start down the hill into Mill Bay.....very nice long straight stretch here, I just let the RC go....fecking pinned it. Going down hill on this straight she picked up the speed quickly, I looked down at one point I was up around 290kmh what a rush it was !!!
After that I did slow down as Mill Bay came up...Quickly LOL. I pulled into the Tim Hortons they have as I love my Timmy's. Well.....when I came out coffee in hand, helmet in the other ( wearing my Kwak green.black/white leathers LOL ) There was not one, but 2 cruisers sitting by the RC. In my mind I am like well WTF is this...I saw no police ???? Well as it turns out they clocked me over the hill with the Helicopter I never saw....Said they almost lost me at a point, but I stopped at timmy's. I am really quite surprised that I got off with just the ticket but most of the cops around here ride, and I was not really putting anyone but myself at risk as they could tell. This was back in early '05 and If you get caught doing that now I would be done for sure and bye bye RC.
Not my best ride but LOL my most memorable for sure. Biggest ticket I ever got too....I am trying to find it as I was going to frame it, If I find it i'll post the pic

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Great story of the most expensive cup of coffee at Tim Horton's - ever!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At the risk of sounding really corny...I'm at a stage in life where I try to make all my rides memorable. As I live very close to a nice little 45min loop around a lake.

So quick jaunts and the long road trips always seem to stick in my mind.

The sound of the exhaust note, the smells of the outdoors, people you encounter along the way be them in cages or on two wheels I can always seem to strike up a conversation.

But the common bond with everyone of those rides? It is the way the road makes me feel, to sum it up in a few words.

It's like spending time with an old friend...

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Great story of the most expensive cup of coffee at Tim Horton's - ever!
That's exactly how my wife put it !!!! LMAO, Cheers !!!

DuckHunterComposites
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
It's like spending time with an old friend...
That is exactly the feeling I get on rides, most of all when I'm out with my Dad with his Hardley Ablesome. Best feeling on the planet, Just you, the bike.....and the next corner in the road.

DuckHunterComposites
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My most memorable (not the best not the worst)

Riding with about 10 others on our way to a camping trip in Wisconsin from Illinois. Riding my trusty FZR600 with a tent tied to the side and a sleeping bag on the back (real smooth lol).

Riding loose staggard formation did I say loose? All going well started down some twisties pace picks up. Paced picked up to about 135mph last I looked down as the road was not straight.

Pace slowed to something more sane. Riding now outside front while a guy was inside back as the last pair in the pack I believe. Got it?

Came upon a sweeping left hander and my inside "partner" moved in on me as I broke for the turn. He now was next to me on the dam turn on my inside starting to slide up. I started to move out on the turn BUT.....

He pushed me far enough to the outside of the turn into the gravel edge at the darn apex.

No way I could hold the line.

Two choices:
A. Lay it down
B. Be a cheap bastard and take her off road and see what develops

Being that I am a cheap bastard and did not want to intentional down the bike I chose B!

Not having planed the off road excursion with he travel agency my exit plan was what it was simply an exit. I initiated the non turn and went down the berm into a nice cow field. Ah good choice except for the barb wire fence!

@#$&%$!

Caught a 3 ft opening in the fence as I rallied through while my rear was locked up.

Came out the other side as I eased off the brake and made a left sweeping "Steve Mcqueen" flat tracking off camber turn came back up to the highway and got back in que.

Nobody saw it happen and I never really said much over the beers we had that night. I actually was not in the mood to talk about it.

I grew up riding in the dirt so I guess that helped me do what I did.
COBRA90GT likes this.

2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden, PCMIII, Sato-Low Mount
1994 FZR600, KTMSXC625 Thumper, Honda Metro, 150cc Puma

Last edited by nochain; 01-08-2013 at 01:42 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Cool story nochain - would have been fun to watch an FZR600 go offroading!
Riding on dirt to begin with is what everybody should do to avoid panicing when in slippery situations. It would save a lot more falls.

Glad to hear you held it up!

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
The one off-road adventure on my 1970 cb 750.
Chasing down a buddy on his zx9r (without him knowing or trying to ride fast) I started catching-up he never did a look back and I was bound and determined to freak him out We both knew the road well and as I had the flat 90deg left sorted out ( at this speed enter wide right use both lanes for an inside apex and lean ) OKay so a mental image of my sidestand and the hideous giant washer the P.O.welded to it appears in my head just at that moment said washer picks the rear tire up and throws the bars hard right
I skid the rear and keep the bars pointed off the road at the ditch do this weird almost highside thing and catch air landing in knee high weeds/grass running parellel to the farmers drive way slow down take a u-turn onto his driveway then a right and meet my buddy at the stop sign like nothing happened he shook his head at me and the vxt guys we were riding with pulled up behind us so a mile to town and we stop in at the DOG HOUSE Carver Mn. Where I had to explain the missing licence plate and the cathedral pipes smouldering and packed with weeds to the local cop in town

True Story
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Nice to see another X CB owner here !!!

I had the CB500 Twin and a CB550 Four....great fun little bikes.....

DuckHunterComposites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode