RC51 Forums banner

AHRMA next gen superbike 2 build

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  jsedacca 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Wanted to give a quick introduction to my project. AHRMA recently released the rules for next gen superbike 2 and lists the RC51 SP1 as being eligible. I was able to find a base for my project/build about an hour away. It doesn't look like much, but for the titled frame, motor, swingarm, forks and rear wheel, I was able to snag it for $200. The plan is to mock the bike up/rolling before breaking it apart to rebuild components. Here is a preliminary list of the main upgrades I plan on carrying out:

- front forks rebuilt with GP 25mm cartridge kit
- ohlins rear from Kyle racing
- front mount radiators
- HRC style exhaust or a custom one from local fab shop.

Hope to have more updates in the next couple of weeks after I organize the garage and make a work space for it. Thanks guys and look forward to any insight.

Will look into the SP2 swingarm. Just want to double check to see if it is legal.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Rules say kit swingarms are allowed. So as long as they don't get picky on literally needing a kit part #'d swingarm the SP2 swingarm should work.

The SP1 was a bear at the limit on the track. The SP2 frame changes really helped that. Just wanted to mention it. The rules only approve the SP1 though...

Any reasons for going with the GP 25mm cartridge kit? I haven't found an RC51 fitment but haven't deep dived. Most here like the various Ohlins or AK options.

Sound like great fun. GL, cheers and by all means post your build and track progress as it goes!

#5 ·
Rules say kit swingarms are allowed. So as long as they don't get picky on literally needing a kit part #'d swingarm the SP2 swingarm should work.

The SP1 was a bear at the limit on the track. The SP2 frame changes really helped that. Just wanted to mention it. The rules only approve the SP1 though...
Any reasons for going with the GP 25mm cartridge kit? I haven't found an RC51 fitment but haven't deep dived. Most here like the various Ohlins or AK options.

Sound like great fun. GL, cheers and by all means post your build and track progress as it goes!
I would also think the SP2 swingarm would be fully legal, but will double check just to be sure. Last thing I'd want is to build a bike and have illegal parts. The rules are kind of vague but like any rules , if it says you cannot do it, you usually can't.

I had the GP 25mm kit on my 07 R6 track bike 4 years ago and loved them. Just looking into different options. They do not list a kit on their site, but I contacted them and they just need the forks to fit a kit. Price they quoted was $1400 installed.

#7 · (Edited)
Thx. FWIW to the rules committee, the SP2 raced against 4 cylinder 750's and other twins in 2002 as well; the same format and class as the SP1 did in 2000 and 2001. 2002 was the last year of that race format before changing to 4 cylinder litre bikes. And it won the 2002 AMA superbike championship title (with NH aboard) and the 2002 WSB championship title (with CEII aboard).

Cheers!

#8 ·
I've brought it up to the rules committee when I first inquired and for whatever reason, the SP1 is the only model eligible. The rules are pretty open so it seems the sp2 swinger, throttle bodies etc can be used. The shortcomings of the SP1 can be overcome. Not too much progress but I got the garage organized a bit and built a work platform for the bike. Got it up on stands and the forks mounted with the rear wheel. Got more parts coming in for mockup and will update when they get here.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Still waiting for a bunch of parts to come in. Was scouring eBay last night and came across a SP2 swingarm. I have a tank, front calipers and sp2 swinger coming in. Everything should be in just after Christmas. Still looking for a front wheel/rotors. Stay tuned in the next week for updates as parts arrive.

#12 ·
Hope everyone had a merry christmas and a happy new year. Some parts have trickled in and was able to score a mint tank for only $100 locally (pays to scour Craigslist). The swingarm and front calipers also arrived. I have been planning the wiring/electrical side of the build and know the CDI box is a weak link. Not to mention they're going for $$$ even for a used part. I contacted ignitech in the Czech Republic who can supply their SPARKER DC-CDI-P2 as a plug and play unit for 197 shipped to the states. Seems like a great option and will be going that route.

Attachments

#16 ·
Old thread I know but had the bike out to Roebling this past Monday. Ran great and never touched a single tool. Just made sure it had fuel and put the warmers on. Running Pirelli slicks in 120/200 in the SC1 compound and can’t say enough good things about them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.