1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ilostmywatch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Insurance Question

Okay, let me preface this discussion with the unfortunate fact (lotsa nice roads to ride though!) that I reside in California, so keep that in mind. We pay more for EVERYTHING out here! What company do you have for your motorcycle insurance, and what do they charge for your RC51? Also, is there ANY insurance company, that caters to those who have multiple vehicles, collector vehicles, etc. that can only be driven one at a time obviously? At the present time, I have one car, one full sized Ford pickup, and 3 motorcycles insured with State Farm. Been with them for 30 years now. I'm about to turn 57, I haven't had an accident, or ticket of any kind (knock on wood!) in almost 25 years.

They really dinged me on the full coverage insurance on my SP2. My Agent's exact words were: "This bike is more expensive than your Suzuki, cause it's alot faster"! I basically have the same coverage one needs with a leased vehicle. Not necessary, but the higher coverages are not much more than standard. My 6 month premium is $317.00, which comes out to $53.00 monthly. My Ford truck which is defined as a secondary vehicle, which rarely gets driven is half that price. Seems that truck could do alot more damage in an accident than the bike. But I could get injured way worse on the bike obviously. I do get a multi car discount, and a safe driver discount as well. Just wondering if there is a company out there that doesn't consider every bike and rider as a roid raged pit bull, or doberman pinscher, just waiting to kill someone. Wondering if the "Super Sport" designation on the policy declarations page, has some effect on the price. Appreciate any info anyone might have, especially fellow Left Coasters. edit: $500 deductible on Comp/Collision.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?

Last edited by Russ*Collins51; 01-17-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Another question I just thought of is perceived valuation. My '02 SP2 has a High blue book value of $4850 I believe, as per KBB. I have Sato pipes, OZ racing wheels, and various carbon fiber bits that would cost that if they had to be replaced with new. I'm guessing they don't give a shit about any of that. I do need to talk more in length with my Agent, just did the quick phone thing when the bike was purchased. I paid slightly more than that high blue book price for the entire bike. I could have gotten an SP1 with similar mileage, and condition, but stock wheels and a nice Moriwaki set of pipes for two grand less, but I wanted the SP2, plus I liked all the nice bits the guy had on this one. I guess a moderate crash on this bike is going to be considered a totalled vehicle, with the costs of replacement parts. You get the Chinese fairings if you're lucky I would imagine. The amount I'm paying on this bike doesn't bother me by itself, it's just the monthly insurance nut I'm shelling out for everything. Guess maybe a couple more vehicles need to go to liability only.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I too am in California and my first RC was about $80/month, full coverage, but I was single, in my mid 20's, and a speeding ticket every year like clockwork. I think I had esurance.

Fast forward to the present and insurance is $36/month, full coverage, married and in my mid 30's.... speeding tickets every 18-24 months. Currently with USAA.

Shopping around may save you some money on the bike insurance but a new insurer may charge you more for your other vehicles.
Russ*Collins51 likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilostmywatch View Post
I too am in California and my first RC was about $80/month, full coverage, but I was single, in my mid 20's, and a speeding ticket every year like clockwork. I think I had esurance.

Fast forward to the present and insurance is $36/month, full coverage, married and in my mid 30's.... speeding tickets every 18-24 months. Currently with USAA.

Shopping around may save you some money on the bike insurance but a new insurer may charge you more for your other vehicles.
Yeah, was hoping to find a MC friendly company. Maybe I'll give your Co. a try. I live in a rural area, and when shopping for homeowner's insurance, I found out some companies won't touch a home with a septic tank, well, certain breeds of dogs, etc. Apparently State Farm is not too keen on bikes. Shit, when I was in my early 20's, I had a ticket AND an accident it seemed every year. Bought a brand new Nissan 4X4, and my Agent told me I might as well have bought a Ferrari. My insurance was literally more than my truck payment for 6 to 12 months, until I got off the assigned risk list! Those were some lean times back then.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Iíve always just carried liability which is at least an option if you pay cash, or have a lender that doesnít require full coverage. Going from a 05 r6 to an 02 sp2 my monthly rate went from $50 to $65. So worth it! Bought it today!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

$65.00 a month for Liability only? I'll stop my whining. Congrats on the new bike!

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode