Things to check on your first rc? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Things to check on your first rc?

So Iíve only ridden an r6, until yesterday, when I bought a 2002 RC. I liked that I knew the R6, knew its weak points. I love this RC, and may never own an in-line four again, despite their frenetic performance. Iím getting my fork seals done tomorrow( bike only has 15k, but in az ,black, rubbery things donít last long) What sorts of things do I need to address, or what things are the usual suspects, in terms of preventative maintenance, and in what order? Valves pretty soon, I assume. Regulator, rectifier, clutch? I like to replace things before they break. I donít own a car, so sheís a daily rider, but I really, really hate breaking down, and I bought this bike because of the legendary motor. Glad to be here, and canít overstate how great I think this bike is. Ride safe yíall!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
the clutch will last forever, your valves will probably still be good. MAYBE adjust at 40k?

the charging system will die digitally (ie immediately, it won't "wear out"), a healthy battery will ensure it lasts

these bikes are rock solid. keep clean oil in them, and keep on top of wearing parts. (brake pads, chain and sprockets, the usual stuff)

very little to them. the only thing you can count on shitting the bed is the fuel pressure regulator. change it now for peace of mind.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Dude. Thanks so much. Fuel pressure regulator valve. Iím on it. Exactly what I needed to know. Is it semi-catastrophic if it does indeed, ďshit the bedĒ? I wanna spend the rest of my life with this bike. Thanks again man

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Sorry not *valve
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Thatís nice that itís only forty bucks. I already ordered one, and a fuel and air filter, but I noticed on Partzilla you have to choose between a RVT1000R A, and. RVT1000R AC. I assume I have an A, and the AC would cost a shit-ton.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

And I realized by shit the bed you meant break down, not spontaneously explode. Thanks again, you guys are really awesome. Gotta pay some money and upgrade my membership
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
When the regulator fails it floods the rear cylinder with fuel through the vacuum line. That's all.

There aren't really any catastrophic things.

It's my understanding the the rvt1000ra is the bike for all of north America, and the AC is the California model.

For 99% of parts it won't make any difference.
jondog9 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Inspect the underside (and inside) of the fuel tank for rust.
The SP1's are known for rusting/weeping around the lower mounting point. You say you have a 2002, but it might (not saying it is) be a 2001 first registered in 2002?

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
When the regulator fails it floods the rear cylinder with fuel through the vacuum line. That's all.

There aren't really any catastrophic things.

It's my understanding the the rvt1000ra is the bike for all of north America, and the AC is the California model.

For 99% of parts it won't make any difference.
That was your 1,000th post Sir Wibbly!

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Inspect the underside (and inside) of the fuel tank for rust.
The SP1's are known for rusting/weeping around the lower mounting point. You say you have a 2002, but it might (not saying it is) be a 2001 first registered in 2002?
US RC51's reg and vin are always the same year. Don't need to worry about that.

I'd recommend buying a couple spare relays, since the originals are prone to failure after this long. I'm talking about the High Beam relay, Fan relay, Fuel-cut relay, Bank angle relay - they're all the same.

If you look as closely as you can with a flashlight into your gas tank, and it's spotless, don't' worry about the fuel filter just yet. It's a fairly involved task. As long as the bike seems to run good, that is.

fpr is an easy change, good you're on that.

As you mentioned, checking stator's AC output and reg/rec DC output is a good idea. Check those connectors for heat issues. Common for them to get burnt.

Oh yeah, you're right on: AC = California Bikes only. Parts don't' cost more. It's just that there's more emissions parts on AC bikes that aren't needed on A bikes.

Svc. Man. calls for valve clearance check at 16K mile intervals.
That would be a good time to remove the gas tank and do that fuel filter change, since removing the tank makes valve work much easier, and you have to remove the fuel pump flange on bottom of tank to get to the filter.

Edit:
Added a pic of my last valve clearance check. Rear cylinder. Front of bike is on left side of pic, and you can see the fuel pressure regulator too. Having the tank off made a world of difference for access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelFilter4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	124217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130621_192057.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	124225  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 01-28-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode