Tyre spec - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tyre spec

Hi.

What is the best tyre choise for the RC on track?
New tyres are poping up all the time and new sizes are available.
I have used Michelins 190-55-17 rears.
Will it be better on 180, 200, 190-60-17 or 190-50-1?
I am going to use a Kyle link and do not have the info.
Any suggestions or perhaps your own solutions?

Kind regards
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
190-55-17 is the going preferred size. Manufacturer is another preference item, I like Bridgestone's

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Tyre spec

+1 on Bridgestone
I wouldn't mind trying a 55 but a 60 sound a bit extreme

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
I am running a dunlopQ2 on the front now, I HAD a DunlopD208 190/50/r17 on the rear.....now switching up to a brand new DunlopQ2 190/55/r17 for the spring, also a 15/43 gearing combo. I had 16/40.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhunter View Post
I am running a dunlopQ2 on the front now, I HAD a DunlopD208 190/50/r17 on the rear.....now switching up to a brand new DunlopQ2 190/55/r17 for the spring, also a 15/43 gearing combo. I had 16/40.
I use 15-43 when I want a really good drive out of long sweeping corners or accelerating really to max rpm.
You also get little touble if full trottel on 2gear so do a fast shift and you be ok.
If you use a slipper it stopps your backweel from messing up on hard braking with 15-43 combo
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Green View Post
I use 15-43 when I want a really good drive out of long sweeping corners or accelerating really to max rpm.
You also get little touble if full trottel on 2gear so do a fast shift and you be ok.
If you use a slipper it stopps your backweel from messing up on hard braking with 15-43 combo
What do you mean trouble ??? Like rear wheel spin ??? or front tire lift ???
I can handle both situations fine, I just hate front end chatter or front tire wash.....scary.....

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 PM

Front end chatter and tire wash are both suspension based problems! Having said that, the tire becomes part of the suspension when loaded up. For wash try a psi change. Chatter is a suspension setting issue.

Mr Green, this is a question that is based on your riding, not public opinion, dictated by manufacturer. If you're using a track tire they come in at least a 55 series.. A 50 series is a street tire, and honestly for a heavier bike like the RC not a really good choice. On the RC I use Michelins, Ive used Power Ones(Dot Race obviously), Ive also used their new Power Cups- Awesome Tire, (but Ive been using slicks for a while day to day).
My suggestion to anyone doing Trackdays is
1) commit to doing more then one, normally it takes a couple to relax, another or so to really become comfortable, so commit to doing a few.
2)get in to better shape, educate yourself and prepare!
3) Buy some damn track tires! With a heavier bike the tire is a big deal, on a R6/Cbr600rr/etc no big deal- RC BIG Deal
4) Get ur ass off the seat! I have newbies argue with me all the time- I was off, roll video- oh guess I wasn't.. Get off it, when u thnk ur off go further!
A lot of times u can get great deals on DOT's(race tires with tread). Dunlop for example thru Racetireservices as had a deal on a 209/211 set for $289, and these if properly inflated will easily last you 5-7 Trackdays, if not a lot more.
I got 3 weekends out of a set of 211's at an Advanced Paced running competitive lap times. And if you ask on a TD forum you could probably get take offs in good shape for less then half price. I sell Michelin's for $100 a set/ that sometimes have one day on them. Think of it as Insurance, good rubber will keep u out of trouble a lot times!

03 RC-a few nicnacs.

Last edited by Plwtwo; 01-21-2013 at 11:26 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhunter View Post
What do you mean trouble ??? Like rear wheel spin ??? or front tire lift ???
I can handle both situations fine, I just hate front end chatter or front tire wash.....scary.....
Sooorry i did mean front coms up a little to soon for best drive on acceleration if you are in a slow corner.

Al depends on were you are in rpm range.

On some corner(verry slow ones) enrys and exits i can use 2gear and do a fast shift to 3gear and have a good drive on 3gear trou next corner and use 3.4.5 gear out on the next strait.

2gear not optimum.. but pulls really good in the other gears.(This is also a setting were you shift like hell)

If i try this gearing without slipper it is a slower laptime (same fore the others as well because of braking as hard as i can handel and backweel is a troubbel)

This is a problem i want to solve with lightend flyweel and try a 41-42rear instead and not suffler on the pulling/reving up part and longer gears.

Others many years before have tryed this and some like it and some do not.

Since i do not plan to race her this summer i would like to try some things out inkluding suspension and tyres.

But then with more power this is mabye not a problem and flyweel cause more problems than solving any.

If there are somebody here that are running an engine with aprox 135-140rwhp i'm al ears on solutions.
AND OEM gearbox!

I will not build a stronger engine/gearbox until 2014(can not aford to bulid more than one really good and can not justify the mile on engine fore trackdays only.)

And that depends on if there are a serie(golden era superbike) that is starting, so my speculations is the only thing right now and that is the explenation of my started threads on this forum on tyres,setup and so on.

There are not many over here in swe that i can think of who have done al this.
Well there are one who i will try to contact but i do not know if he is intrested.

However if he is i will try to take some pics on his sick bike if he would alow it ,that is if it is still alive and kicking.

Do not expect me to get fotos, i do not expect asweres.

Last edited by Mr Green; 01-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM

I had to change some settings on my shock after the flywheel weight deduction, before and after, it caused wheel spin anywhere I was in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. After the shock setting change and dropping rear height a round it's not bad.

03 RC-a few nicnacs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Tires are like women, beer, pizza, oil, frame sliders, chinese bodywork, etc etc. You'll always find that people have a different opinion, and each one of them is always right. The bottom line is that you have to try everything you can and see what works for you.

I laugh at all the people who say they need a 190/55 or 190/60 to make the bike turn. I was just fine with a 190/50 pilot power and pilot power 2ct all the way up to mid-pack level two trackdays on the RC (with an Ohlins shock and mori link, btw). Never had a single issue with not feeling confident, losing traction or heavy steering.

I understand the different geometry with the 190/55, 180/55, 190/60, 200/60 vs the 190/50 will make the bike feel like it steers easier due to the different profile, but there are other factors at play.

How many of the people with rave reviews are comparing new tires to new tires? A bald 190/50 will steer like shit.

How many are adjusting their rear ride height to account for the higher tire? Which changes front geometry and changes steering response.

How much of this is just a placebo effect? They have been told by everyone and their mother that changing to XXX rear tire will make the bike do XXX, and by golly they just spent $200 on a tire and it better fucking do that.

I'm not saying that a different tire will not make the bike steer differently. It will, but understand that it is about what makes you confident and what works for you.

All that said, I am looking forward to this season and trying some new tires out...

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode