1Likes
  • 1 Post By Russ*Collins51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
RC51 Exhaust

I have been around for about six months here and noticed there are quite a few different exhaust systems offered for these bikes. The highest quality, most desirable, and best looking systems ( Ladybird HRC replica, Durbahn ) look like they are off of a GP bike, but seem to have quite a lot of bends and curves. Then the Bonsai systems ( usually Sato, Akro, and a few others ) have an S bend and are also quite popular. The higher end straight systems, Sato, Akro, Miro, Yoshi.....seem to next, and last the cheaper systems.

Excuse my ignorance, but it would SEEM that the straight through systems would have a bit more top end, all else being equal, and these bikes have plenty of torque. But it seems to be quite the opposite in desirability. Are they more aerodynamic, or more cornering clearance, larger diameter, or is there something I'm not seeing here.

I am lusting after the Ladybird Ti HRC replica, with it's insane build quality, and Moto GP looks, but is there a real performance gain over the other good systems on a stock engine, or is the extra money just for the bling factor?

Yes, I did read the exhaust portion of Rogue RC51 ( how you don't ride around at max rpm like an I4 )

Flame away.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I prefer the Bonzai look myself. Love that high and tight, tucked look. The Rogue article did state that the low mount Sato's made a few more ponies than the Bonzai's did. I think it's just a matter of choice. Whatever you like. In my opinion, the RC51 is not a bike to put a cheap looking set of pipes on. I have a Two Brothers slip on can, on my 750 Katana. It looks fine on that bike. I'd never put the same on my RC though. I've probably put less than a thousand miles on that Two Bros pipe. Rivets are all getting loose already. I got a screaming deal on it though! LOL! The quality and look of the Lady Birds is off the charts. If I didn't have Sato's already, I'd be after the same set you are.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Your assumption that desirability in an exhaust is linked to horsepower is your first mistake.

The ladybird hrc system could cost me 3hp and I'd still choose it over all others.

Having the best built, best materials, best looking, best sounding exhaust counts for a lot.

Of course you want them to perform well, but in many cases the differences are less tangible than you'd think.

Bottom line, if you like horsepower the rc51 isn't for you. If you like a bike with history and character then maybe it is.

To be honest if my bike made 100hp I'd still love it, and I only treat it to the highest quality offerings there are.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
Your assumption that desirability in an exhaust is linked to horsepower is your first mistake.

Hahahaha, I make lots of mistakes, and this is not my first.....

The ladybird hrc system could cost me 3hp and I'd still choose it over all others.
Having the best built, best materials, best looking, best sounding exhaust counts for a lot.
Of course you want them to perform well, but in many cases the differences are less tangible than you'd think.

+1, but the price is a tough pill to swallow - the quality does show however, and it is just stunning to look at....

Bottom line, if you like horsepower the rc51 isn't for you. If you like a bike with history and character then maybe it is.
To be honest if my bike made 100hp I'd still love it, and I only treat it to the highest quality offerings there are.
I really enjoy the R/C (it is different, but compliments my VFR's nicely) and will put it back to it's original sport bike glory once I have attained all the parts. My exhaust right now is good enough, and was apparently almost as much as the LB HRC replica. Maybe if I sell all 3 systems, I can get it.....but need many other things first.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ*Collins51 View Post
I prefer the Bonzai look myself. Love that high and tight, tucked look. The Rogue article did state that the low mount Sato's made a few more ponies than the Bonzai's did. I think it's just a matter of choice. Whatever you like. In my opinion, the RC51 is not a bike to put a cheap looking set of pipes on. I have a Two Brothers slip on can, on my 750 Katana. It looks fine on that bike. I'd never put the same on my RC though. I've probably put less than a thousand miles on that Two Bros pipe. Rivets are all getting loose already. I got a screaming deal on it though! LOL! The quality and look of the Lady Birds is off the charts. If I didn't have Sato's already, I'd be after the same set you are.
I really wanted a Bonzai system until I saw the LB HRC replica.......amazing how pipes/cans used to be a tube over a perforated tube riveted together, then welded to some bent tubing. Now there are taper sections, and all kinds of can shapes, not to mention outlet shapes and materials, and fitments that are close to machine tolerances.....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
This is the one I was thinking of:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600Black LadyBird.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	127074  
jondog9 likes this.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1237V View Post
I really wanted a Bonzai system until I saw the LB HRC replica.......amazing how pipes/cans used to be a tube over a perforated tube riveted together, then welded to some bent tubing. Now there are taper sections, and all kinds of can shapes, not to mention outlet shapes and materials, and fitments that are close to machine tolerances.....
I have the LB Banzai set up and the custom map to boot.

When I first bought this bike I bought a used set of Sato lows, they were nice. The LB GP setup was "Beer and Titties" but was loud as hell. (I find nothing wrong with it!)

Now she has the banzai set up and that is where it will stay...until the Old Man @Motleyfan sells me his frigging lows.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
I have the LB Banzai set up and the custom map to boot.

When I first bought this bike I bought a used set of Sato lows, they were nice. The LB GP setup was "Beer and Titties" but was loud as hell. (I find nothing wrong with it!)

Now she has the banzai set up and that is where it will stay...until the Old Man @Motleyfan sells me his frigging lows.
Hahaha, I thought he had them listed.............
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1237V View Post
Hahaha, I thought he had them listed.............
Last I saw, he still does. Wish I had the duckets, I'd snag them for sure.
Until then, I'll just have to make do with madbuyers old Sato's he mentioned above.
I'm old school traditionalist, I love the factory low-mount look best of all. Unless you're running the moto cans, then high looks better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BerryessaJan14 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	127234  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in