Running on Fumes - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Running on Fumes

This week end I wasn't paying attention and missed the fuel light when it came on during a brisk ride So about 3 miles from the nearest gas station the RC started missing and ended up sounding like it was running on one cylinder I thought, Oh crap what happened? Looked down and saw the dreaded fuel light! I was able to limp mode it all the way to gas station before it finally sputtered out. Then I had smoke coming out of the right side exhaust for a few seconds, I thought for a moment I blew it up Filled it up with 93 and after about 15 or 20 seconds it fired up and all seems fine now ........ I'm leaving my trip odometer up now so I can remember to keep track!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
They don't call them idiot lights for nothing...
Trace and Red Flash like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yeah, seems like my fuel light comes on with about 100 miles on the tank of gas. I'll pay real close attention on the next ride. I know you don't want to pass many, or any stations, once it comes on! My F250 with a 460 cid engine, is the only vehicle I own, that gets worse mileage than the RC! Living in the hills, I get about 8 miles a gallon in that pig!

edit: LOL. Just checked the Owners Manual real quick. 4.76 gallon capacity on the fuel tank. Right underneath that, the exact words are: "The tank should be re-filled as soon as possible, when the fuel reserve indicator comes on". No shit Art. I think the reserve on my Ascot is in the single digits, as far as miles go. Ran out 2 miles from home once. Had just switched to reserve about 3 miles prior.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?

Last edited by Russ*Collins51; 05-01-2018 at 05:33 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I don't keep track of fuel consumption on my track bikes, but I clearly remember that my Fuel light used to come on around 90miles on a good run through the twisties in Arkansas or during those HSTA Friends of Freddie rally's etc. Used to carry a 5ft length of hose so I could siphon fuel from another bike just in case back then...
jondog9 and Russ*Collins51 like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I don't keep track of fuel consumption on my track bikes, but I clearly remember that my Fuel light used to come on around 90miles on a good run through the twisties in Arkansas or during those HSTA Friends of Freddie rally's etc. Used to carry a 5ft length of hose so I could siphon fuel from another bike just in case back then...
Well that makes sense because when I reset the trip meter it was 89.9 and I was out of fuel!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ*Collins51 View Post
Yeah, seems like my fuel light comes on with about 100 miles on the tank of gas. I'll pay real close attention on the next ride. I know you don't want to pass many, or any stations, once it comes on! My F250 with a 460 cid engine, is the only vehicle I own, that gets worse mileage than the RC! Living in the hills, I get about 8 miles a gallon in that pig!

edit: LOL. Just checked the Owners Manual real quick. 4.76 gallon capacity on the fuel tank. Right underneath that, the exact words are: "The tank should be re-filled as soon as possible, when the fuel reserve indicator comes on". No shit Art. I think the reserve on my Ascot is in the single digits, as far as miles go. Ran out 2 miles from home once. Had just switched to reserve about 3 miles prior.
So, on a tank full of gas with mostly highway miles, I got to 144 miles, until the fuel light came on. I filled that tank as full as possible, just to find out how far I could get. Re-filled at 150 mile mark, with 3.9 gallons of Petrolina Suprema, so roughly 38 miles per gallon, with easy highway miles. Just trying to figure out how far I can get under certain circumstances. Guys I ride with can all go way further than I can, between stops. Some of the rides up here in the hills, you don't see a gas station for quite awhile sometimes.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Two very large throttle bodies, 4 injectors, definitely not the Prius of motorcycles. Add a good fuel map to your PC and Chevron becomes your best friend. Or you could just push it front of your nearest *bucks and pose on Sunday afternoon.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I've been out of gas so many times when I was younger, I guess it's just second nature to keep an eye on my gas situation. On weekend rides, that toggle button for temp and trip odo is my friend. Even with gloves, it's pretty easy to stab.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
~100-120 miles the light comes on, I then put my mind to finding a petrol station within 20 miles or so.
Never a problem cos the Netherlands has good infrastructure coverage.
jondog9 likes this.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I've gone about 145 miles to dry , light comes on around 100. I usually figure I've got about 30 miles to go once the light comes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode