if you're thinking about getting the A-Stars airbag, DO - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
if you're thinking about getting the AlpineStars airbag, do it

Just a quick post that could help save your life or certainly reduce injuries... and a note about passing other cars.

EDIT: was in a bad accident. Thank god I had good gear on or I'd be dead.

I'm sharing this for two reasons. <SNIP> SO, BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PASSING!

2nd, I didn't know Alpinestars had released their Tech-Air airbag system. If I had, I might not have gotten it partly since I've had so few incidents over the years and it's just expensive.

However, after that crash I found out about it and knew I'd never ride another day without it. If you would have asked me 8 weeks ago if I'd pay $1,500 (for both a jacket and vest) to avoid the pain and suffering that I went through I would have said hell yes. My medical bills are about $35,000 (I have a high deductible and will owe $7,500, but will hopefully get that back from his insurance company) and I suspect would have been much less if I had the vest.

So, in short, it's not cheap but you should seriously consider getting one of these. I did read one story from a guy that crashed in one and he said he felt like he was sliding on a pillow. Crazy, that's sure not what I felt when flying 4 feet high through the air at 65 mph and crashing to the ground.

Lastly, if you're considering it I can help out. There's a little confusion about the versions and the jackets. I got the race version since it can run both the race and street firmware - the street can only run street in street mode. I also got the race version because the jackets available for the street version are what I'd call No Viz.

Since I always love threads with pictures, I'll share a couple. Bike before and after the crash and a couple other things.

I also recommend David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. He'll point out so many hazards you may never have thought of. Be safe out there!!!

PS: of course I'm adding two loud cars horns to the RC51, and I'll also be adding a headlight modulator. I used to think they were annoying but when you come two feet from death you might feel differently about them too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new right side cropped.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	128433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180711_193743.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	128435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180711_193724.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	128437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180620_094053.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	128441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoei GT-Air 450.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	128443  

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-23-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

54 views and not one comment? Did I say something wrong? I'd think there'd be some curiosity if not real interest in the vest. Just trying to help others avoid possibly being killed when passing someone and also recommending the airbag vest.

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-20-2018 at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Have you or anyone you know wrecked while wearing one ?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

LOL - I can't just reply "no" because "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

So, No. Though I sure see Marc Marquez crashing in these all the time.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
That's a pretty gnarly x-ray! Been there, 3 times! Too bad about the ZX, was clean looking ride.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll get 'er fixed back up. You've broken your collarbone THREE times? From wrecking on sportbikes?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
LOL - I can't just reply "no" because "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

So, No. Though I sure see Marc Marquez crashing in these all the time.
Sounds safer to NOT wear one.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
DaveJB, yep all 3 times on sportbikes. First on 79 Cb750F then 10 years later on my CBR900 and again 2 years after. Allways left collarbone.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
There are only 2 things certain in life:
1) you will die at some point and
2) you pay taxes

And in that, I accept (and perhaps perversely cherish) the fact that riding any motorcycle comes with a degree of risk.
I feel that if I "need" an airbag suit, I will hang up my gear... I do see the need for full leathers and helmet, but even more it is mindset and anticipate what is coming towards you
In my 35+ year mc "career" I have witnessed and experienced various crashes with various outcomes and all I can say is "LUCK".
If it is your time, you will go. I just hope that when I do go, I am not the one who took one with me w/o his/her fault...
Red Flash likes this.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I've heard that before, from the Harley guys as an excuse to not wear a helmet.

This is just gear designed to enhance your safety. Like a helmet, gloves, boots, leathers, etc. You can apply the thinking you used to every piece of gear that you currently wear. And a helmet and leathers may be a PART of a mindset but you'd better damn well believe that if you go down they'll do a lot more than give you piece of mind, and this is why people wear such things. And if you truly believe it's just luck or fate, then again, why wear any gear. You wear it because you're smart and you know gear is meant to help you survive in a crash. That's all this airbag vest is, just like all the other gear.

People may decide that avoidance of a broken scapula, collarbone, and ribs etc. is not worth $1,500 but then that's about the cost. It's not cheap and before my accident I doubt I would have gotten it after looking at years of (lack of) incidents out there vs the cost. Well, after my accident I feel differently.

It's just gear designed to make your ride more safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
There are only 2 things certain in life:
1) you will die at some point and
2) you pay taxes

And in that, I accept (and perhaps perversely cherish) the fact that riding any motorcycle comes with a degree of risk.
I feel that if I "need" an airbag suit, I will hang up my gear... I do see the need for full leathers and helmet, but even more it is mindset and anticipate what is coming towards you
In my 35+ year mc "career" I have witnessed and experienced various crashes with various outcomes and all I can say is "LUCK".
If it is your time, you will go. I just hope that when I do go, I am not the one who took one with me w/o his/her fault...

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-23-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode