Takai ignition coils - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Takai ignition coils

Hey guys, anybody have any experience with these coils? They are supposed to be high output stick coils and they list a kit for the RC. It appears that Takai is a Japanese company that makes the product and Mission Ignition Systems in Michigan is selling them. Claimed to be plug and play. So anyone got any info? Paging LDH, Wibbly anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think I saw these as well being sold through WeBikes or something. I was also curious as well.... Anyone?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Yeah Redstar, I posted to see if any of our forum members had any info beyond the Takai web site. During my search I found some ZX14 owners and CBR1000 owners on their respective forums with a little info. Takai claims 1 or 2 horsepower with the coils and some of the ZX & CBR guys claimed to have dyno'ed the bikes as well. Some of the test weren't done in best procedure such as using a baseline from a year before the coil swap. Even 1 horsepower would be fine by me but the main reason I was looking at them was having a coil on plug that fits the RC specifically and eliminating the the separate coil and spark lead of the stock units. I don't think the stock ignition suffers from a lack of spark really but I am just looking to clean up the chassis and engine area as much as possible. I used DHCs' battery relocate tray & moved my solenoid just above the battery on the oil cooler mount. This shortened the starter motor cable & actually all the 6 gauge cable to half. It was almost a pound of cable removed in addition to the Anti-Gravity lifPo battery thats 5 lbs lighter than stock. So newer technology can give you some small gains for our old girl. They do add up. I'll post up when I find more about the coils.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
$400 for two coils!
Someone else has to make a high output coil at a reasonable price?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
A friend of mine had R6 cap coils on his RC.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dynatek makes their DCOP2s for the CBR600RR so based on the fact that many have used the stock CBR coils on their RC's I would guess those may work but may have the loose fit that some have fixed with an o-ring or made a foam seal. I went ahead and ordered the Takai coils but found they wont fit the NGK plug. Probably the ND plugs would work since the terminal cap is removable but Takai also uses s screw on set up for security but the RCs valve cover won't allow you to spin the cap around 360 degrees. The wire harness supplied was too short and had a pair of .250" blade terminals on it. I had emailed Takai and asked before I ordered if it was a true plug and play and was assured it was. So emailed and advised them of the problems. They said they can fix the plug terminal issue and that was the major issue for me. He also asked for pictures of the RCs connector to the wire harness. I found out you can unclip the plastic connector at the coil end by lifting a plastic clip and then the wire. seal and terminal slide out. Turns out I already had the mini blade sockets from Corsa-tecnic so I asked Takai to supply correct wire length and I would take care of the connector. At this point I'm waiting to hear from them. By the way the Dynateks are around $130 each but you will have to make a harness to connect to the RC harness. Keep you all updated when I hear from Takai.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Awesome, please keep us posted!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Still waiting for parts. The owner/ceo says he is sending correct wire harness and spark plug terminals which he says I can unscrew the current pieces and screw in the new ones. Finished my SH847 reg/rect install so am impatient to get back on the road and check it out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
O.K. Received the replacement terminals and pigtails . The terminals are supposed to unscrew from the bottom of the stick coil but I couldn't get them to budge and am starting to tear up the old terminal. Also the pigtails were supplied still too short and one with extension pigtail using the mini blade type terminals inside a weather proof connector. I emailed Mark (CEO of company) and explained I thought that if these are top quality coils shouldn't the pigtails be continuous and not extended with another pigtail? On a positive note he got right back to me and I'm sending coils back for them to install the terminals and hopefully make correct pigtails. I guess that most companies making hi-output stick coils are figuring they are going on a bike which had stick coils originally. So pigtails are not needed at all. The RC of course is using conventional type coils so the front pigtail needs to be 23 inches long and rear 14". All that aside, Takai advertised coils specifically for the RC so I assumed they would be familiar with whats need for a "plug and Play" product. Mark seems willing to address all the issues and perhaps didn't know there were issues. Nobody on the board responded when I inquired so possibly they haven't had to deal with it. Anyway sending goods back and hope they get back soon as weather here is perfect for riding and I know Jondog and RC collins are ready for a Berryessa, Middletown and wine country loop.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK an update on this little adventure. They sent the coils back with longer pigtails and correct terminals to fit the NGK plugs. I installed the connectors to mate with the stock connectors on the wire harness. The rear coil fits great and has the rubber cover at the top for excellent weather seal. On the front the shape on the valve cover makes it a little tricky to get the coil fully seated on the plug but a little wiggling around and it went on. While all the back and forth with the coils was going on I decided to install the newest Shindengen 847 series reg/rectifier. It's bigger than the stock unit so i made a custom mount from some carbon fiber and angled the unit slightly to clear the tail cowl. Roadstercycle supplied the unit with a custom wire harness to match my relocated battery setup. The battery charging lead has a auto resetting circuit breaker inline. Because of that I cut off the old red/white lead with the fuse. Big mistake! So I go to start and motor spins over but no start. First thing I suspect is the last place I changed anything but coils looked correct and reg installed seemed o.k. Finally I posted up fpr some help and as Wibbly had just helped LDH with a fuel pump problem figured he might jump in. Well I thought I was going to need a fuel pump or an ECU at the least but Wibbly got me fixed pretty quick. Turns out even though the new regulator positive lead has a circuit breaker inline the old red/white line is a separate line for the bank angle relay circuit and the pump will not power up without it. Fortunately I still had the wire in the harness and within 5 inches of the battery so spliced it back together and all was good again. Bike fired right up. So what's the deal with the coils. Well they claim more horsepower and it's entirely possibly to get 1-2 I'm told from a good ignition but I was just looking for a more compact setup. I think for a lot less $$ the CBR coil mod is probably the way to go or even Dynatechs coils which are high performance for $130 less but you will need to make up pigtails for them and improve the weather sealing from what others have reported. All the connectors and terminals needed are available thru either Cycle Terminal or Corsa-Technic for about $5-$10. Still gotta get out and ride this thing and see how it feels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode