Dash wire diagram? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Dash wire diagram?

Does anyone have a good copy of the wiring diagram for the dash? Specifically the wire colors and what they go to in the dash. I have the OEM manual but the wire colors are pretty small and it does not tell me what wires are for what functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Yeah I can tell you. Just away from my papers at the moment.

You will have to understand how each circuit works in order to use it correctly though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

So my goal is to put the Motec CDL3 on it and use the OEM harness. I was going to reach out to a Motec guy to see if he can do the wiring loom and programming for me as that is a bit outside my comfort zone. So the more info I have about the OEM stuff the easier it should be. That's my thought anyway.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:33 PM

Does the motec come with its own sensors? Or are you expected to scale all the inputs to suit the bike's standard sensors?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 PM

ok here are the colours in the large grey connector, and their functions.

white/blue - FI lamp (the ECU grounds this wire to illuminate the FI lamp)
yellow/green - Tach signals
blue/red - oil pressure (the oil pressure switch grounds this wire when pressure is low)
blue/black - high beam (high beam lamp lights when this wire has 12vdc applied)
green - ground
green/black - ground
light green/red - neutral (the neutral switch grounds this wire when in neutral)
red/green - constant 12v (this wire is ALWAYS hot, it is used to retain the dash memory for the trip meter)
brown/black - low fuel lamp (this wire feeds the thermistor in the tank, it is NOT a switch. if you want the low fuel lamp on a different dash, you need to wire the black/brown from the power circuit to the positive side of the coil on a relay, then wire the negative of the coil side of a relay to this wire, the thermistor needs voltage applied to it at all times, as fuel stops cooling the thermistor, its resistance decreases enough for the current in the coil to increase enough to latch the relay, use the contact side of the relay to light an indicator lamp)
green/blue - engine coolant temp (this wire is based on the ect sensor, i do not know the range on this sensor)
black/brown - power wire to the dash
black/brown - power wire to the dash (these two black/browns are fed from the same source, you will likely only need one of them for your dash)
pink/green - speed sensor (i do not know exactly how many pulses per revolution this sensor provides, but it's a lot)
light blue/white - right signal run light (this wire is interrupted by the signal light switch)
orange/white - left signal run light (this wire is interrupted by the signal light switch)
light blue - right signal (this wire feeds the signal lamp through the signal relay as well as the dash indicator lamp)
orange - left signal (this wire feeds the signal lamp through the signal relay as well as the dash indicator lamp)
green/orange - ground

that's all you will need to know to make it work.

Last edited by Wibbly; 09-14-2018 at 11:13 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

The Motec should be able to work with the OEM signals. That's my understanding anyway. Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 PM

if it does, then you'll need to know the scaling. sadly i cannot help you out with how many pulses per rev come off the speed sensor, or the pulse rate on the tach signal, or the scaling on the signal from the ECT.

hopefully you have a scope so you can figure it out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Do you know what type of communication protocol the OEM ECU uses? And do you know if the dash gets the temp signal from the ECU or direct from the sensor?

Last edited by BTopp; 10-03-2018 at 08:02 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 PM

There is no protocol. All the instrumentation is done via analog and digital signals. There is no canbus connection or similar on these bikes.

The dash gets the temp signal from the ECT sensor on the green/blue, the ecu gets it on the pink/white

i presume it's just a split voltage signal.

Last edited by Wibbly; 10-03-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode