2003 rc51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 rc51

I’m going to be looking at an 03 RC51 next weekend with 19k miles. Guy is the original owner.

I was wondering if there’s anything in particular with this bike I should be looking for.

Also here’s a pic of mods done. Any info on if they’re quality parts and what they do(like the flapper mod).

Any feedback is much appreciated.

How do these fair against a GSXR 750?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A36811A-50DE-40C7-B8BE-CFC3A0435C2E_1537572306915.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	129015  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

In case the image doesn’t work right.

Mods:
JRC hard bite pads
Braided stainless lines
Revalved front from Dan Kyle racing (not sure what that means)
Íhlins rear shock with Dan Kyle racing rear link
Extended kickstand
SATO racing carbon fiber exhaust
Soft rev eliminated (what’s that)
Flapper valve removed (what’s that do)
Adjustable clip ons and rear set (w.e that is)
CRG shorty levers
Frame sliders
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
-So they are probably the HRC pads. Yup, they are good and maybe even the best brake pads for the RC.
-Braided lines are always good on any bike to get rid of any squishy brake line flex.
-Revalved forks and Ohlins shock with the DK link will make the bike way more compliant than the OEM stuff. Yes they are very good mods to have.
-With the different link the RC tended to lean over a bit more on the kick stand so the extended kickstand returns it to the OEM lean angle when parked.
-Sato exhaust was one of the most sought after exhausts systems for the RC. The only problem now is Sato no longer makes it and finding replacement parts can be a challenge. There is a guy that I have heard of who can repair them though if need be.
-Honda installed a soft rev limiter on the RC which killed some of the power as you were getting close to the hard rev limiter. By removing the soft rev limiter the bike pulled all the way to the hard rev limiter with out any drop off in power. (a simple explanation) Its a good mod to do if you are wanting the most out of the bike.
-Honda also installed a flapper valve in the air snorkle to cut down on some of the noise the motor makes. It messed with the fuel injection a bit robbing the bike of some power in the power band. By deleting it, it smoothed out the power band. Another good mod to do.
- Adjustable clip ons and rear sets allows you to adjust your hand and foot position for your preferences. Really a comfort thing.
-CRG shorty levers, some people prefer them, some don't. Personal preference thing.
-Frame sliders, nice if the bike hits the ground. They can deduce damage and save critical things like the side radiators from catastrophic damage.

The last question on how it fairs against the GSXR 750 (depending on the year, not sure if Suzuki is still even making the 750 anymore) is in my opinion anyway a subjective one. A relatively stock RC will make somewhere in the neighborhood of 125 BHP + or - a few. The RC is a bit on the heavy side too when compared to the GSXR. The RC will make more torque and have quite a bit more low end stump pulling power. I believe both bikes are probably close to each other when it comes to top end power. So, how does it compare? In my opinion that really depends on the rider.

I am a bit biased though. there are a metric shit ton of GSXRs out there and not too many RCs. I believe the RC has way more character than any GSXR and would not trade it. The old fat RC is always fun to ride even though it may not be the newest, lightest, fastest bike out there.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode