• 1 Post By budoka
  • 1 Post By budoka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Been a While

so I've been away from here for a while (OK a long while) but just wanted to let some of you know I'm still kicking (literally and figuratively). Much has evolved and it has been a bit of a roller coaster ride since my off last fall. The healing went well on my broken bones, and the bike repairs went pretty well too. I'm no body mechanic so a close look shows the flaws in my technique at fiberglass repair but unless you're right up close it's not all that shabby. I may try and smooth out some of the rough spots over the winter but I have a fork rebuild that's 1st on the list and maybe some brake upgrades.
My father-in-law passed this spring and at about the same time I was diagnosed with melanoma. Double whammy there but the pathology turned out well (so far) after the surgical removal procedure and I do a follow-up in October.
My first weekend back at the track was not unexpected, but I was hoping for less nerves. But I discovered the lack of confidence level was a detriment to both myself and the other riders so I dialed it back from intermediate to novice again. The closing speeds of the other riders in group 2 was way more than I was capable of handling and would be for a good while to come, so I chose the better part of valor. But as the season progressed things began to fall back into place and by the end of August I was running faster and cleaner than I was before the crash. With one more session before season's end I was eagerly looking forward to the September's meet.
Then tragedy struck. A good friend (excellent racer and one of our control team riders) perished in a crash on Labor Day Weekend. Without going into details it was something that shouldn't have happened but it may spell the end of track activity if the owners don't step up and make some (now obvious) safety changes. The whole racing and recreational track community was devastated and left reeling in the aftermath of losing Sean. We all know that there are risks in what we do be it on the street or the track, but we can't dwell on it or it will eat us. If you push the envelope, sooner or later s**t happens. Thankfully not always to the extreme, but it will happen in some shape or form.
So that's the update guys. Sean's memorial sticket with his race team logo and number,in the first pic. Last track day in August #2. I'll leave you with a friend's words: "Do the fun things, do the sometimes dangerous things, but live your life and keep on living it to the fullest" thanks for that Kevin)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_141708.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	129037   Click image for larger version

Name:	0150349-(ZF-2246-11885-1-003).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	129039  
kwtoxman likes this.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

Last edited by budoka; 09-25-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Thx for the update Budoka. Been wondering where you've been. Hope sunny days and better everything is ahead.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Hey Budoka, condolences for your friend Sean. Never like hearing about these things, but on rare occasion they do happen.
Great to see you're getting what the RC51 can give!
Cheers!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Good to be back guys. I had a lot to reflect on and lots to consider in the last 12 months. In a way, Dale's passing brought the family closer (although there were some definite differences of opinions on several fronts) together in a time of grief. The tragedy of Sean's death shook us all to the core, but we all pulled together for his family and team and leaned heavily on each other for support. The bond was already strong, but it's even stronger now I'm sure. Not the way it is supposed to be, but life can suck, so wear a helmet (Denis Leary's words). Whatever you do in this life, never hide your affections/feelings for those you really care about. It can be cut short at any time.
I lost a fastball buddy to cancer a week after Sean's funeral, and that certainly added to the load of pain. The grief will pass with time and friends to share the good things with, but the empty gap will always be there. Fill it with love and kindness. Sorry if that sounds sappy but it comes from the heart.
Red Flash likes this.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode