• 1 Post By Wibbly
  • 1 Post By RC1237V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
No more RC-Tuono Frankenbike

I just did my 4th track day, but the first on the RC51 because I didn't think the little SV would be much fun on the big Thunderhill East track. Turns out I was right!

I put the Sato clip-ons and the HRC triple clamp, and Scotts damper back on the bike, and took off the upright bars. The fairing is still cut for the upright bars, but have a new one on the way. I will post pictures when it is all done.

Time to sell my trusty SV, as it does not provide the level of thrill the RC does.

Now for the questions.......

1) Are there any tires suitable for the track that are not slicks, but way better than street rubber - I read of a Dunlop GP something or other, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. I want to be able to take a street ride still, but have become addicted to the track.

2) The only way I could pass the guys on modern bikes, was to outbreak them. Now my brake rotors are blackened on the pad area, did I overheat them? I have the radial Brembo's from a Gixxer on my bike, with the Galfer wave rotors, which are decent, but not racing quality (I am only doing track days, and will not be racing). Do I need better pads and rotors?

3) Does anyone here repair Satos, as I have a low mount set with some rash I want to sell to feed my addiction.

Already looking forward to the next track day!
Red Flash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
if you want a tire for street and track day use, look at the pirelli diablo supercorsa SC. it's their race compound but is fine on the street as well. i've been using them for years and years. they're available in different compounds unlike the SP, and provide gobs of grip.

i can't speak for dunlop, michelin, or bridgestone offerings as i don't have personal experience with them, and feel that advice based on hearsay when it comes to tires is essentially worthless.
budoka likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I ran Battlax BT023's for 3 seasons of recreational track but not actual racing. They were plenty sticky in the heat, and warmers certainly helped them. Were very good in the rain and wet too as long as you were listening to the cues the bike was giving you. But like all manufacturers they have updated and I have a set of Mitas (popular Euro DOT's) Sportmax going on over the winter. Lots of the gang runs PP3's and swear by them, but if I hadn't been tipped off on the Mitas skins I'd be running Diablos. I don't have the budget for two complete sets (slicks and rains) of wheels and I can't be arsed swapping out tires between sessions in the pits if the weather comes in in a bad way. If it gets wet, I use the sessions to work on honing specific skill sets and avoid poor technique/habits that a hot dry day can cover up. Anybody can learn lots more and improve their riding in the rain.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1237V View Post
I just did my 4th track day, but the first on the RC51 because I didn't think the little SV would be much fun on the big Thunderhill East track. Turns out I was right!

I put the Sato clip-ons and the HRC triple clamp, and Scotts damper back on the bike, and took off the upright bars. The fairing is still cut for the upright bars, but have a new one on the way. I will post pictures when it is all done.

Time to sell my trusty SV, as it does not provide the level of thrill the RC does.

Now for the questions.......

1) Are there any tires suitable for the track that are not slicks, but way better than street rubber - I read of a Dunlop GP something or other, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. I want to be able to take a street ride still, but have become addicted to the track.

2) The only way I could pass the guys on modern bikes, was to outbreak them. Now my brake rotors are blackened on the pad area, did I overheat them? I have the radial Brembo's from a Gixxer on my bike, with the Galfer wave rotors, which are decent, but not racing quality (I am only doing track days, and will not be racing). Do I need better pads and rotors?

3) Does anyone here repair Satos, as I have a low mount set with some rash I want to sell to feed my addiction.

Already looking forward to the next track day!
Sadly, I don't know that track you run on, but aside from having pretty much zero elevation changes, our track is quite technical and has a strong right corner bias. I regularly run with a fellow on the SV1000, and I have to really be on my game to pull away from him. When he is in the groove and committing fully to his cornering, he's hard to pass and stay ahead of. One of my former instructors and control riders also ran an SV and he was nothing short of amazing what he could do with (what he called it) his "elephant". They just take off the panniers and top box, tape up what is required and go shred the rubber.

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tire choices guys!

I like the SV(650), and have had nothing but fun on both bikes, but the RC51 is a much better platform. A bit heavier, but worth it! Also, if I sell the SV, I can afford two sets of wheels......and tires!
budoka likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pretty much done, except for a few decals and fasteners. The cowl stay, Sato's, and steering damper came with the bike. I had to buy an upper cowl, HRC triple from Simon, as the original was twisted quite a bit. I bought the trick switches from Wibbly, and they are amazing quality, as well as plug-n-play. Not bad for a bike that was totaled, and put together with various parts and pieces, it's actually quite complete now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_181352.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	129191   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_181500.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	129193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_181806.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	129195  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Before pics (~March 2017)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2405.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	129197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	129199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	129201  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

I thought those switches looked familiar. Will does great work on his creations.

'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode