RC51 Forums banner

Sport-Touring tires for RC51?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Joe XR 
#1 ·
Hi,

i am looking for a set of new rubber for my recently purchased SP2. I never ride on track, do not ride agressively. I mainly ride on the weekend doing some local 200-300km tours on local roads. That is why I am thinking of purchasing sport-touring tyres to get the grip but also long-lasting of the rear tire.

What do You think of this idea? Can You recommend any type of tires? What do You think of Metzeler Z8, Bridgestone BT023 or Dunlop SPORTMAX ROADSMART III?

#4 ·
I've converted a couple of riders that are far better than me to the Bridgestone T31's. Most of them coming off of very fine tires like the Mich. PR3. Personally, I run a stickier tire up front like the S21 and a T31 in back. Lastly, I switched to Bridgestone a while back because of the theory that all the years of being the tire for MotoGP would help.

#5 ·
I've using Bridgestone T30 EVO's on my Triumph Tiger 1050, and before that, on my ST1300.
I was using Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 3's, but, while they get outstanding mileage (on my FZ1, I got 13,000 miles Front, 9000 miles Rear), they are bloody expensive!

The T30 EVO's are probably the least expensive premium brand Sport/Touring tires out there with pretty good performance.
I have had no problem with them in the rain or dry on the Tiger 1050.

While you may or may not get the miles of the Michelin's, they won't break the bank either, with a good price/performance balance.

#6 ·
I've been a die hard Battlax user on all my sport bikes as well as my St1300. The ones I finally wore out on the SP are no longer made, but there should be a more up to date equivalent to the BT023 sport touring skins I ran very successfully (95% track) and was totally impressed with the wet and dry characteristics and wear. They are pretty much done after a year of very light duty on the street and then 3 seasons of moderate track use. Lots of guys will swear by PP3 and Corsas, but jaysus the $$ are a deterrent to me. I always wait until Parts Canada or one of my other suppliers has a sweet deal and then buy accordingly, hence my purchase of the Mitas DOT's for the coming seasons.

#7 ·
OP - I've used Pirelli Angel GT and Dunlop RoadSmart II on my 954 for similar riding duties to what you described. I think the latest RoadSmart model is up to a *3* or even a *4* nowadays for that particular tire model of sport touring rubber (they always seem to update/upgrade 'em every couple of years).

Anyways, I have been pleased with both of the above listed tires - keep a watch out for factory rebates to help offset the purchase price too (usually offered in late winter/early spring IIRC ?).

YMMV & g'luck deciding !

#10 ·
Hi,

I am looking for a set of new rubber for my recently purchased SP2. I never ride on track, do not ride aggressively. I mainly ride on the weekend doing some local 200-300km tours on local roads. That is why I am thinking of purchasing sport-touring tyres to get the grip but also long-lasting of the rear tire.

What do you think of this idea? Can you recommend any type of tires? What do you think of Metzeler Z8, Bridgestone BT023 or Dunlop SPORTMAX ROADSMART III?
I don't have any suggestion about the rubber, but I can give you some advice if you want to choose a motorbike or scooter.
stylemotorbikes.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.