New post-initial ride Qs - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New post-initial ride Qs

Finally got a chance to really run out my new 03 SP-2 and a few questions as I look the bike over after riding. Let me 1st say this thing is a beast, like my 1098 in torque, but way heavier! I'm searching the forums for some things, but here's a few for the long time owners:

1. How do I know if the flapper/PAIR mod is done without ripping the fairings off, I see the dome shaped rubber stopper, with a cut tube?
2. Heat, does the RC-51 run hot? Samco hose kit just arrived yet to be installed, but on test ride temps stayed over 200 degrees (at least fans worked).
3. Bike came with PCIII, is the PCV worth upgrading to?
4. Bike has the front turnsignals inside the upper corners of headlights, is this a normal mod and can I get brighter LEDs?
5. Pretty sure bike has the -1 front sprocket change, speedo seemed way off and see there is a fix, worth doing?
6. On the lighting, HID upgrades and not sure what undertail I have, but the brake lights are not bright at all, upgrade options?
7. I'm sure I'll find a eBay Chinese fairing thread, but anyone still making race bodywork?
8. Researching LBP exhaust although the bike has Akra on, but does anyone make a non-peg brackets for stock location?

Fairings coming off tomorrow for the Samco install and new fluids, checking air filters, plus figure out some of the wiring (bike has grip warmers...not required here in AZ).

2003 SP2
2008 Ducati 1098
1996 Kawi ZX-7RR
1996 Kawi ZX-7R(for sale)
2015 HD Street Glide Spc (wife hauler)
2003 Honda CRF-450R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highside7r View Post
Finally got a chance to really run out my new 03 SP-2 and a few questions as I look the bike over after riding. Let me 1st say this thing is a beast, like my 1098 in torque, but way heavier! I'm searching the forums for some things, but here's a few for the long time owners:

1. How do I know if the flapper/PAIR mod is done without ripping the fairings off, I see the dome shaped rubber stopper, with a cut tube?

if the pair is removed there will likely be flat pair delete plates on the cylinder heads instead of the usual hoses connected to the pair ports

2. Heat, does the RC-51 run hot? Samco hose kit just arrived yet to be installed, but on test ride temps stayed over 200 degrees (at least fans worked).

yes, the bike is known to run a bit warm. 200 is no cause for concern. fans come on at 220 and will come on often if you are in stop and go traffic

3. Bike came with PCIII, is the PCV worth upgrading to?

no, not really. the pc3 is fine, i'd only replace it if it messes up

4. Bike has the front turnsignals inside the upper corners of headlights, is this a normal mod and can I get brighter LEDs?

scottsms sold these kits forever ago. they aren't intended for turn signals, they are running lights in other countries (euro bikes had them as run lights), in the USA the run lights are in the turn signals. the LEDs in those are chip type cree leds, i doubt you'll find brighter

5. Pretty sure bike has the -1 front sprocket change, speedo seemed way off and see there is a fix, worth doing?

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=31&product_id=59

you need model H1

6. On the lighting, HID upgrades and not sure what undertail I have, but the brake lights are not bright at all, upgrade options?

this is covered to death on these boards. do some searching. the rear lighting depends on what you have on the bike currently, which you haven't mentioned

7. I'm sure I'll find a eBay Chinese fairing thread, but anyone still making race bodywork?

race bodywork is still available from many different suppliers, i feel like google could have answered this question for you in a matter of seconds

8. Researching LBP exhaust although the bike has Akra on, but does anyone make a non-peg brackets for stock location?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTR1000SP-RC51-ALL-YEARS-LADYBIRD-JAPAN-HAND-BENT-ALUMINIUM-EXHAUST-HANGERS/273533733886?hash=item3fafe18bfe:g:9cYAAOSwxcRW9fE g

Fairings coming off tomorrow for the Samco install and new fluids, checking air filters, plus figure out some of the wiring (bike has grip warmers...not required here in AZ).

you will answer your first questions when you do this job

my answers in red

Last edited by Wibbly; 11-09-2018 at 11:01 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks Wibbly for taking the time to answer and I did fail at "Forum 101" as a veteran forum user in not searching both here and the Google prior to asking.

2003 SP2
2008 Ducati 1098
1996 Kawi ZX-7RR
1996 Kawi ZX-7R(for sale)
2015 HD Street Glide Spc (wife hauler)
2003 Honda CRF-450R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode