Chain came off my SP1 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Chain came off my SP1

I had my chain and sprockets replaced at what I thought was a reputable motorcycle dealer. I normally do this myself but had some other work being done so decided to get it done while bike was there.
Long story short, they put a 530 non "o"ring chain on that was not designed for a 1000 cc bike. I should have checked behind them so I accept responsibility for not inspecting the chain type after they installed it so lesson learned. Good news is the chain came off in a parking lot when going maybe 5 mph. The chain had a standard master link and it looks like the key just flew off. Sharing this because I am thankful it happened at 5 mph and not 75+ and hope someone else can learn from my error. I contacted the dealer after this happened and he apologized for their error and offered to put the correct one on but at this point don't want them touching it again. Funny how they charged me $125 for a $25 chain. Dealer said that his recollection chain was part of a kit for a ZX 900" they had in stock but offered no other explanation. Not sure what exactly what would happen if it flew off at highway speed but just glad I didn't find out.

Last edited by robertj1979; 02-10-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
WoW! I've only heard of the damage and injury that can happen when a chain flings of at speed. So glad that didn't happen to you.
fwiw: I run DID x ring 520 chain. They are well known to be plenty strong for the RC51.
And I would NEVER EVER trust anything less than a properly staked rivet master link.
Cheers!
budoka and 10THbikE like this.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
DID x ring is the right stuff. Good life if maintained properly also.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for thoughts and recommendations... Yes I feel very fortunate there was no injury or property damage to my bike or a car that could have been following. It is "messed up" that a dealer will do this to make a few bucks and hard to believe it is by accident. Would think it should have been obvious to whoever installed it being a non o ring chain but I should have checked it also. Hope others check behind dealers better than I did when doing this kind of work cause could have been worse if it had not come off at 5 mph in a parking lot. Dealer just said it was an honest mistake but hard to trust them again. The guy I deal with now for major repairs said that the chain I showed him is not designed to be on anything more than 500cc. He said people only use these $25 chains on dirt bikes only. It sux too they charged me $125 for a $25 chain.

Last edited by robertj1979; 02-10-2019 at 03:56 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
A quality non oring chain can be up to the job but the clincher, as John pointed out, was using a clip type master link. The mechanic?? who installed that should have gone to his service manager and told him the chain and master link were not suitable. Any good wrench that I have ever known would have done that. Can't blame you for your feeling cheated. As many have pointed out there are few really good techs out there. My experience has been in 8 dealers over a period of 49 years. Three shops were large multi-line dealers with 6-10 mechanics. Usually there was one or two who really knew how to diagnose and fix stuff. Management expected the newbs would learn from those guys. The amount of pure BS I've heard from some of these guys would floor you. It's even worse now. There are good ones but you have to do a little research, check with friends and so on. Anyway let me chime in with the crew glad you didn't suffer a crash or injury.
robertj1979 likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Wow, very glad you suffered no injury of any kind. I'm a Honda dealer myself and testimonies like these really cut me to the quick. We're a small rural shop but we take our customer's products and themselves very seriously. Not saying we're perfect, but our techs and parts peeps would never allow something like that. Sadly it tars us with the same brush in the public eye.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Wow, very glad you suffered no injury of any kind. I'm a Honda dealer myself and testimonies like these really cut me to the quick. We're a small rural shop but we take our customer's products and themselves very seriously. Not saying we're perfect, but our techs and parts peeps would never allow something like that. Sadly it tars us with the same brush in the public eye.
Thanks for replies and kind words. Glad there are dealers out there that still put safety ahead of profit. I don't think I will be quite as trusting next time however.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
Thanks for thoughts and recommendations... Yes I feel very fortunate there was no injury or property damage to my bike or a car that could have been following. It is "messed up" that a dealer will do this to make a few bucks and hard to believe it is by accident. Would think it should have been obvious to whoever installed it being a non o ring chain but I should have checked it also. Hope others check behind dealers better than I did when doing this kind of work cause could have been worse if it had not come off at 5 mph in a parking lot. Dealer just said it was an honest mistake but hard to trust them again. The guy I deal with now for major repairs said that the chain I showed him is not designed to be on anything more than 500cc. He said people only use these $25 chains on dirt bikes only. It sux too they charged me $125 for a $25 chain.

I would get my money back in full for the chain cost and install or I would go to jail for assaulting the service manager.

Fuckin idiots... You never use clip-type master link on a road bike period

I only sell DID chains as I NEVER want to hear from any customer that a product I sold did not perform as expected.
robertj1979 and Joe XR like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
i only use DID ZVMX and ERV3 chains, 50+ RC51s and not a single problem.

go get your money back or tell them they can get these hands.
LDH® and robertj1979 like this.

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-DEVIL View Post
i only use DID ZVMX and ERV3 chains, 50+ RC51s and not a single problem.

go get your money back or tell them they can get these hands.
Exactly! I sold 38 of them for RC51's alone in 2018 Probably a thousand of them since 2000... Not one single issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode