• 3 Post By gts455
  • 1 Post By Trace
  • 2 Post By Dutchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Power Commander SP1 Opinions

My 2001 SP1 bike that is ridden on the street "only" has 16/42 gearing and a 180/55 rear tire. I do not have a power commander and just wanting opinions if it is worth adding. Quite honestly, the bike runs great now with no noticeable flat spots or popping on deceleration etc. I have M4 aftermarket slip-on exhaust. Everything else pretty much stock with the exception of flapper mod and radiator fan switch mod. I have been reluctant to add the power commander because of my philosophy of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but curious if others had a different view or the gains would be that noticeable.? It looks like the older power commander that most use is no longer available.
The power on this bike compared to others I have had (GSXR 1000, CBR 1000/929) is "down" anyway but could care a less given I am older and more "sain" anyway in my riding style and have no desire for any of those bikes again having had the RC for a while. No more crazy runs on the interstate to see how fast the bike will go and could care a less about top speed but do like the ability to get away from stupid cages. It seems people want to race this bike more than any other I have had. Sorry for the "rant" but people these days seem to drive much more "aggressively" than I remember years ago when I was driving much faster bikes.

Last edited by robertj1979; 03-28-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Robert,

for the 1st 2 years of ownership of my SP2, I said "naaaahhh"to everyone who advocated a PC. Even the dynojet shop owner who did a dyno run. "Yeah, thing can be better, but if it were my bike i'd leave it. You'd not recoup the investment by better fuel economy (only)". I stuck to the adage "it is a 1000cc V-twin, ofcourse it will spit and protest at lower revs....

Roll forward 2 years, some money to burn from not going for a special paint job, and I must say WOW. Thnings are way more smoother picking up from lower revs.
Was not looking for more power as priority #1, but picking some up was a bonus.
i'm told that the SP1 fueling is worse than a [email protected], but have no 1st hand experience.

Don't just buy a PC but have a expert dail her in on the dyno too

DannyBoy, dansp1 and robertj1979 like this.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I was looking into a PCV for my SP-2 but after doing some research and talking to another RC owner at a cars and coffee meetup I decided to spend the money on a Scotts steering damper.
robertj1979 likes this.

\_(ツ)_/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am leaning toward not doing it as well. The bike has had quite a bit of electrical modifications already because the previous owner decided he wanted "led lights" and fender eliminator kit etc. and am almost afraid to add anything that could create electrical issues since it is running as it should. Good suggestion on the steering damper as I have heard positive reviews of that and don't have that now. The dyno would be great but probably just gonna save the money and use it elsewhere but thanks for suggestion.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If you do it, spend the money on a custom tune. If you don't plan on doing a custom tune and you are happy with how its running, i wouldn't get one. The power commanders are only as good as the tune you have it setup with.
jondog9, Trace and robertj1979 like this.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Based on prior Power Commander work on my VFR--and for the same reason--I added a PC to my RC a decade ago.

This wasn't for more power at all, but for LOW REV SMOOTHNESS. My RC was very snatchy when just cracking the throttle coming out of an apex, or when simply riding in street traffic and parking lot speeds.

I choose a good basic map based on my exhaust, OEM intake system, and my 15/43 gearing (which adds to snatchiness via increased mechanical advantage), then added a little fuel to the zero, 2, and 5 percent throttle openings via experimentation and prior experience. This calmed the snatchiness down to silky smoothness.

And this is what Dutchy was talking about, above.
Joe XR likes this.

2000 RC #001201
2014 Duc MultiStrada
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition

Last edited by Trace; Yesterday at 12:16 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

Garage
Friend of mine had some dyno time booked to dail his PC in for his news cams. As there was some time left, we put mine on for a simple test run.
Individual dyno's differ, as do conditions. 133 horses at the rear this time round.
But indeed, the smoothness at lower revs is the main prize for me
DannyBoy and Trace like this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
133 horses at the rear this time round.
I failed to mention that besides the PC fiddling to get low throttle smoothness, I also added some timing at WOT in the 7 to redline rev range hoping that might unleash massive horsepower increases. Just kidding....I did it in case there might be a pony or two hiding behind OEM timing.

I have no idea if it worked....figured it couldn't hurt.

2000 RC #001201
2014 Duc MultiStrada
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 08:17 AM

Garage
Well, in my book the PCV "passed with flying colours!!!!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode