Sprocket options for a 2004 Nicky Hayden edition from the Factory - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sprocket options for a 2004 Nicky Hayden edition from the Factory

I did a little googling and looked around here... AND I think I know the answer... But, I just want to be sure and post this question to you all. I'm not a mechanic and don't do much work on my bikes. So, I rely mostly on my mechanic...

With that, a couple of weeks ago I had my mechanic replace my sprockets and chain because they were showing wear and needed to be replaced. Which they did, with the stock OEM sizes (16F,40R I think I would have to double check) for an 04 RC51. But, now my odometer is off on my commute to work and back by a a good 12 miles. Is that normal? or did the 04 Nicky Hayden edition come with different size sprockets than the standard RC51? I know that the bike was stock before we swapped them out. Because the bike currently does NOT have a speedo-healer, and I don't think you can fix that with a PCIII...

Depending on all of your response I will either suck it up and buy a speedo-healer or tell them they made an error and get them to put on the right parts.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
The Hayden is not special. There is literally nothing about that bike mechanically that separates it from any other sp2, despite what the owners will tell you. It came with 16-40

Are you the original owner? Are you comparing the 12 mile difference vs actual or what you saw on your previous setup. Maybe they removed non stock gearing and you assumed it was OEM

Check what the guys put on your bike.
jeosbor1 likes this.

Last edited by Wibbly; 04-26-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes, that was the conclusion I came up with.

I talked to the mechanic at length yesterday and luckily for me they didn’t toss my old sprockets and chain (I wonder what they do with them). AND they totally messed up! So, the bike had +3R, -1F... What I didn’t put in my previous post was that I thought the bike wasn’t behaving the way that it did prior to the work and I was thinking it was me. Now it makes sense! So, they are going to replace my sprockets and chain at no cost to me.

Question does it really matter if you use aluminum vs. steel on the rear sprocket? They were really trying to get me to keep the OEM (mainly because they didn’t want to eat it) setup and one of the arguments was that I should really be using a steel rear sprocket because the aluminum will wear faster or fail more often than the steel. This came up because they were telling me that they would not be able to get a rear sprocket -2 or -3 in steel. Any truth to that?

~ There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But, there are no old bold pilots...

Last edited by Ronin5H; 04-27-2019 at 09:47 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
If you're the type who doesn't do maintenance get steel.

If you take good care of your stuff it doesn't really matter which you get. Chains and sprockets will never last forever, it's a wearable part.

As for the sizes that's up to you, not to them. Get what you like.

Do not go larger than 16 in the front and do not go smaller than 40 in the rear. I'm not sure what you're talking about with -2 and -3 out back. I presume it's a typo
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin5H View Post
This came up because they were telling me that they would not be able to get a rear sprocket +2 or +3 in steel. Any truth to that?
- to + edit by me

JT make larger steel sprockets for the RC but their supplier may not have them in stock.

JT Sprockets: Catalogue
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyToaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin5H View Post
This came up because they were telling me that they would not be able to get a rear sprocket +2 or +3 in steel. Any truth to that?
- to + edit by me

JT make larger steel sprockets for the RC but their supplier may not have them in stock.

JT Sprockets: Catalogue
Thank you, If they can’t order them then I will.

~ There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But, there are no old bold pilots...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I keep steel & aluminum sizes in stock up to 43T, probably have a 44T out there too...

If anyone claims they cannot get them they are not looking very hard
jondog9 and Ronin5H like this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I keep steel & aluminum sizes in stock up to 43T, probably have a 44T out there too...

If anyone claims they cannot get them they are not looking very hard
Thank you, I will have to take a look at your inventory for some goodies! My old sprocket was an aluminum 43T. What are your thoughts on that size sprocket?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
My thoughts are widely known and circulated
ROGUE RC51 Common Gearing Questions & Answers[/url]
Thank you, that site has literally turned into my online bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode