RC51 Forums banner

Choke vs petcock

9K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  HonDucati 
#1 ·
Is the choke and a petcock the same thing because I know where the choke is on my 2000 rc but can't find the petcock. Sorry for the silly question . This my first carbureted bike

#17 ·
I would advise you not to try any sort of mechanics whatsoever on this bike. You don't have any idea what you're doing.
And I'm being diplomatic. /forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
not planning on doing anything major myself. I did change the right crank case cover cause it had a crack in it. I also changed my cables and took off my front and rear pegs and wheels so I can take them to get powder coated. Besides that I'm taking it to a mechanic because it was running good but not when I go to start it it tries to start but when I hit the kill switch before hitting the start button it doesn't make that fuel pump noise. Tries to turn over but wont fire up. Any ideas

#21 ·
RacerXX, I just sent you a PM. Also, post some pics of the powder coated wheels when they're done.

when I go to start it it tries to start but when I hit the kill switch before hitting the start button it doesn't make that fuel pump noise. Tries to turn over but wont fire up. Any ideas
You should only hear the fuel pump prime when the key is on and the kill switch is in the run position. If the kill switch is set to off, no fuel pump. Always check the little things first.

#22 ·
RacerXX, I just sent you a PM. Also, post some pics of the powder coated wheels when they're done.

when I go to start it it tries to start but when I hit the kill switch before hitting the start button it doesn't make that fuel pump noise. Tries to turn over but wont fire up. Any ideas
You should only hear the fuel pump prime when the key is on and the kill switch is in the run position. If the kill switch is set to off, no fuel pump. Always check the little things first.
key and kill switch are both in on position. Don't hear the pump but bike wants to start

#23 · (Edited)
the bike will crank regardless of kill switch position. the starter is controlled by the headlight circuit, not the kill switch circuit.

when you toggle the kill switch does the FI light come on for a few seconds? if it doesn't then you have an issue either with the kill switch, the bank angle sensor, the bank angle sensor relay, the IGN fuse, or the 30 amp EFI fuse near the battery.

#25 ·
the bike will prime regardless of kill switch position. the starter is controlled by the headlight circuit, not the kill switch circuit. ...
Wibbly, I know you know these bikes inside and out, but my bike will not prime with the kill switch ON. It has to be in the running position before the pump does it's whirr and prime. I know this because on occasion, I turn my key on, no prime. Look down and see i bumped the kill switch ON by accident. I switch it off, and the pump then primes, and ready to start.

#24 ·
Sorry I was so harsh with my initial post. You seem like a sincere guy who just wants to get his bike running again.
fwiw, I didn't know jack about these bikes either when I got mine 10 years ago.

I think you should search for a downloadable Honda Service Manual, and read thru section 5. That will clear up much confusion for you. I'd offer a link, but the one I used to use has been corrupted, and I have a hard copy of the manual now. You would do well to watch ebay or whatever for a hardcopy of the manual: it's been my bible.

#27 ·
I really appreciate you reaching out to me. I've been very frustrated with this bike. I had a perfectly running CBR1100XX that I sold to get this bike because I've wanted one for awhile. I ride all year around and this is the longest I've gone without a bike in years. Riding takes care of all my problems. I'm sure you understand and I'm very passionate about my bike and my fellow bikers so that meant alot. Someone on the forum sent me a link to download the manual. I have someone picking the bike up today for inspection and some body work. I was gonna get an aftermarket fairing kit but I've heard horror stories about them not fitting correctly. I need to be more patient when people are trying to help so you have my apologies. Take it easy and thanks again

#34 ·
In the OPs defense I was extremely puzzled when went to buy my bike and the seller pulled out the "choke". I had a momentary insane panic of "how and why on earth did someone build a carbed RC". Luckily I noodled it out. So is the fast idle a mechanical thing or is it basically a switch that tells the ECU to enrich the mixture? Sorry i haven't had time to study the service manual yet

#38 · (Edited)
Well fuck me for being a no one and asking a question. Didnt know that the free exchange of knowledge was ironically antithetical to an internet forum which takes its concept and name from a place where old italian guys discussed things back in the pre Rossi days.

As for discourse:

10th: what confused me is that RC31 is a chassis designator on the Hawk, which was never called an RC as a model name officially, but its chassis design was apparently a ditched 250 GP chassis attempt. VINS are JH2RC31. Furthermore JH2RC46 is in VFR800 vins, but I dont think that was ever a model designator for them. JH2RC45 is in the RC45 VINs. JH2RC30 is in the RC30 VIN. Now the RC51 (as EVERYONE knows) is not JH2RC51, and I was just wondering why. I know now that RC51s, despite being the only one I was aware of marketed as and model designated as an RC anything (besides the obvious R30/45 who's homologation history is well known)is actually an SC (DUH) and as to why, well, because everyone knows it and there is no sense in questioning the ways of the universe.

#37 ·
Honda apparently never intended for the bike to be called RC51. Until that point there were only 2 street bike with the RC designation from Honda and those were both made in the race shop in limited quantities while the RC51 is a mass produced bike. When the RC30 was released AMA Superbike homologation rules required 200 be available for sale in the US. By 1994 hey only needed to produce 50 RC45s for sale in the US. Some RC30 and 45 owners seem to resent the RVT1000R being called an RC bike. But fuck'em if they don't like it!! Story I read somewhere said when bike was first revealed someone in the press called it an RC51 and Honda decided not to fight it. Much like LBJ called the Blackbird SR71 instead of RS71, and hell if the Prez said it's an SR71 so be it!

#42 · (Edited)
Yeah, I got that. I just thought it was odd. Two bikes with RC in their NAME also have RC in the VIN, which I take to mean have RC chassis. Two have RC in their VIN (that I can think of offhand) but not in their NAME. One has it in the NAME but not in the VIN (thus not an RC chassis). I found this odd and interesting. One of those idiosyncratic things I love about Honda. Never meant to display my ignorance, but it is hard to hide.

And look bud, I was "researching" (ie; looking for information about a subject which one does not know) when I asked the fucking question. This is what forums are for as far as I knew. And you being so kind and generous with your extensive knowledge did help me out. With a big "because it is! So there stupid" which I had figured out on my own. There are layers upon layers of irony in this whole exchange.

So I guess I should google everything about RC51s before I ask questions the RC51 forum? Well shit, what's the point of a forum then?

#44 · (Edited)
On that we certainly agree, but like I said, I think that's the point of a forum: People of similar interests discussing frivolous and trivial details about that interest for the sheer sake of the conversation. I don't think you're an asshole FWIW, I bet in person we could get along quite well. It's just that in the real world as well as the internet I don't take well to what I feel is condescension. I am neither a child nor a fool. Of course one wonders how true that is if I defend that point for no good reason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.