Buying a Honda sp1 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony.mon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buying a Honda sp1

Hi guys I'm new here and looking to buy myself an SP1 to have a lot of fun on but also as an investment. I am after your opinion if the below is a good deal or if I shoukd steer clear.

The bike has 9000 miles and is imported from the USA and painted as a Colin Edwards race replica. It does not have any service history and does not have the original exhuasts or rear seat.

Are these non standard ones still desirable? Is this a good price?

I love the look of this bike. Is there anything I should look out for? I don't want to buy one that has been a track bike etc. And the lack of history concerns me a little but not a major problem if it feels and looks OK after a test ride.

Also is there anything else I should look for with these bikes?

If anyone knows of any other good condition models that would fit by budget of 5k to 8k then please point me in that direction. Link to the bike is below.

Thank you for your hellp. I can wait to ride a big twin again after selling my RSV a few years ago.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173919289325
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome Stuart. If you are looking for more of an investment bike, then you would want a low mile standard example. Not that 9000 miles is that high, it's this bike not that original which is what would bring investment quality prices years from now. You would have to make sure they are painted OEM fairings, as it very well could be a Chinese body kit which are shit. Over here in the states that would be a $3500 bike, I understand the SP's are selling for more over there, but I would keep looking. Also if I were you, I would join Facebook if you aren't already, and join the UK SP groups. They are very active with many knowledgeable SP owners. All you have to do is use Facebook for bike related stuff, you don't have to get involved with all the other drama Facebook brings.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Future buyers/collectors are going to want an bike original as possible. This bike has an aftermarket undertail, meaning the SP1 OEM rear fender has been cut. The original SP1 OEM undertails are selling for as much as £800 when you can find them which is very seldom, and no longer available from Honda. The fairings look at first glance to be a Chinese body kit, but you would have to confirm in person. Ask seller to remove lower fairings, and look for foam insulation on inside of panels and Honda part numbers. The few aftermarket parts it does have are not high quality, most are powder coated OEM. The exhaust is just a cheap slip on. The dash is melted from sun which is common. For the money they are asking, you could probably find a cleaner example.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Welcome aboard.

That specific SP1 as an investment? Absolutely not.

That bike as an overpriced daily rider or weekend bike? Sure, if you don't mind paying more than the "going rate" IMHO.

I would agree with Redrider that their asking price is high - that's on par with 05/06 money or even a bubble-kept '04 Hayden edition (although the market is probably more scarce over in the UK so their prices might even be slightly higher now?).

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
No they are asking too much money for an imported bike. As has been said you can purchase a 2003-4 bike for that price with maybe a few more miles on it but just bide your time and one will come up
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
It's a sheep in wolfs clothing, badging it as a 2 confirms the Chinese fairing theory.
It's overpriced.
There has been a rash of magazine articles re sp1's, and that will have brought out the hopeful sellers.
If you're interested, get his contact details and contact the seller again in November after they've had zero interest except some kids on scooters wanting a test ride.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether you want it to polish and put in a case as an investment or ride it.
If an investment, buy one with very low miles and no non standard parts.
There will always be an inflated market for those.

But if you plan to ride it, why pay a premium?
The mileage will go up anyway.

Last point, why did it need new fairings?
Joe XR likes this.

It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys

Thank you all for your replies. All very helpful and as I suspected and have come to learn with my research.
I will give that bike a wide birth. I having trouble finding what I'm looking for as there does not seem to be many of these bikes for sale in the UK. Let alone low milage, standard good quality models at a reasonable price point. But I will take my time untill one shows up.

I will be riding the bike. But as I already have a vfr800fi for the fast and touring stuff, a benelli tnt 125 for work and fun stuff and also a 1972 Kawasaki S2 350 triple two stroke for the vintage and invesent stuff . The Sp1 I buy won't be having to many miles put on her 😂

I have joined the Facebook group also. Ideally I want a standard model in good condition with 10-20k miles for around £6-7k do you think this is possible?

My local dealer has one in with 26000 miles . Mostly standard but without the original exhausts for £6k
But unfortunately it's in Silver and I just can't see myself falling in love with such a nasty colour 😂 I did read somewhere that the silver ones are rare. But would they still be as collectable as the standard and in my opinion the best red colour?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Leave it until the summers over, prices will drop 2k.
If you're buying from a dealer, buy in January or February, if private in Nov or December, when the seller needs the cash for Christmas. You will be able to get a much better deal.
Four years ago I bought a decent SP2 for 5k that way.

It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode