• 1 Post By 10THbikE
  • 1 Post By adamxx6
  • 1 Post By 10THbikE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
exhaust header leak

So ive got a little leak where the rear pipe connects to the rest of the header. The lower part on the left side, In between #9 and #1. I can feel it on my leg/ankle. Should i just order part #6 and probably the clamp? or would a high temp RTV work? thoughts, suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hj1004066048.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	130671  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Clamp should be fine, it's pretty overbuilt. You should replace the gasket because the gap's probably too large for RTV to fill and seal. Seems like I had to loosen the front at the head to get clearance to remove and reinstall the rear pipe so may need the gasket for the exhaust port on the front cylinder as well.
Joe XR likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the heads up. I was wondering how much crap i'd have to take off to be able to replace that. The bolt on my clamp looks pretty rusty, not sure if ill be able to move it without rounding it off or not. i may order that just in case.
Joe XR likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:37 PM

Garage
In that case you may as well get a new bolt. If you have some PB Blaster or Tri-Flo any good penetrating oil use it first and let it soak for an hour before you try the bolt. I found it easy to work in this area when I removed my exhaust with the rear wheel removed. You may not need to go that far but if there's any issues with removing or installing the bolt or gasket, your access is much better with the wheel out of the way. If you replace the bolt with stainless steel or titanium from ProBolt you won't have to worry about rust there again.
Joe XR likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks again for the advice. i have both gaskets and the bolt for the clamp ordered. Also a g2 throttle tamer. i read some reviews on it, some people swear by it, some say its over rated. i found it for cheap and thought i'd give it a whirl.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:25 PM

Garage
My take on the throttle response of the RC is that 95% of the issues are fixed with a Power Commander with a good map. Even if you are running stock exhaust you will gain power and especially notice better low throttle opening response. The throttle tamer I haven't tried but did try the HRC 1/6 turn and it was just too touchy unless you are on the track where you want the quick full open throttle. However I'm a big believer in trying lots of different things to find what works for you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I do have a power commander. And it did make a noticeable difference. still thought i'd try out that throttle tamer. I ordered the gaskets to fix the leak. They said it could be 3-5 weeks for one of them, said it has to come from japan. So now i'm debating just dealing with the leak and waiting, or trying a different site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in