RC51 Forums banner

Warranty Helmet Replacement - odd request

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Russ*Collins51 
#1 ·
I recently contacted a helmet manufacturer and sent pictures of a defect that arisen with my helmet. It is only cosmetic.

The company then requested some more information such as proof of purchase/pictures/etc.

They came back saying that this issue falls within their warranty and that I can get a new helmet of same or lesser value, which is good.

The one thing that I find really shady/odd is they want me to cut the straps off my current helmet and send them pictures of the cut straps and the helmet showing cut straps?!?! What is the purpose of doing this aside from rendering my current helmet useless? The defect is not a safety issue and the helmet is still perfectly usable. They have the serial# and LOT# from the helmet so it's not like I can sell the helmet to someone who can in turn try and get warranty on the helmet again, so why?

They will not send me the new helmet until I basically destroy the usefulness of my existing helmet....... this makes no sense.

Anyone have any insight as to why a helmet manufacturer would require this step?:confused:

See less See more
#5 ·
I had a bad crash on my KZ-1000J on New Years Eve, back in 1982. Don't ever take a motorcycle to a New Years Eve party folks! Anyway, I was in the AF at the time, rode the bike home to LA area from Texas on leave, so had no other transpo. I was wearing one of the original Simpson Bandit (Darth Vader) helmets. Had a get off at 60+ mph, and the helmet was ground down on both sides. Wouldn't be here today, had I not been wearing a helmet. I took pics of the battle scarred helmet, and mailed them to Simpson.
I heaped all kinds of praise on them about how their helmet saved my life, etc. Asked them if the helmet could be repaired. They responded, No, it can't be fixed, and should never be used again. Then they offered me a new Bandit, at cost! So, I got a new one for basically half price, and they never asked for the damaged one, or for me to destroy it, etc.
Things have changed a lot since then, with liabilithe's, and lawsuits, etc. I would expect today, they would forward the same request that your helmet manufacturer did. By the way, my mean green Kawasaki slid on its side, on a slight downhill slope, for almost an entire city block. (I was tumbling like a rag doll while that was happening) I got up, ran to it, picked it up, and got it started. People were flowing out of their houses by then. Knew I needed to beat feet, before Cops showed up (Drunk, and in the Service, and all) rode it home the final 5 or 6 blocks. She was spurting oil out of the ground down engine case. Got home though, and a trip to the emergency room the next morning, with a wicked hangover, and my entire body sore, with road rash! Life Lesson

#7 ·
Just sayin? Lol! Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: Joe XR
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.