WTF It happened that quick ! ! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
WTF It happened that quick ! !

Well, good news, I came away with a sore foot. Yesterday leaving the office for the ride home, me and ARSEY went down. A minor get off, but none the less, went down. As I'm, approaching the intersection to turn left, slowing down and about to put my foot down, but before I come to a complete stop, front wheel washes out and bike falls on its right side catching my right foot underneath. It happened so quick, that I'm still trying to figure out what and how. I did notice a little sand or loose gravel, but nothing I haven't ridden over before. I take this same route daily. Anyway, came out with sore foot and going to doctor this morning for x-ray. ARSEY came away with broken right foot peg, bent rear brake lever,broken right mirror which I just replaced a week ago, paint is scraped on right edge of top cowl below right mirror mount, mid pipe has some rash and right exhaust can is bent in closer to fender. Right canister has some slight rash. Thank god for frame savers, my right fram saver did what it was supposed to and kept the fairing from touching the asphalt ! ! ! I was able to ride ARSEY home, bracing my right foot on the nub of the foot peg bracket, and realized how much I miss not having a right mirror. So ARSEY is no longer a virgin in relation to hitting the asphalt, almost made it 13 years. Again, this happened so quick, so be careful out there.

ARSEY51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like under your braking the front found an oil slick or some fine sand. You did not feel the front feedback enough to notice the impending lockup or washout....????
Too bizy looking at the chic in the car next to you ??? LOL
I am glad you and the RC are ok, I have had this happen but never went down because of it, but IMO there is normally enough of a warning to get of the brakes to recover it.
Talk to 1971allchaos, he has what you need to get her fixed up, great guy and a great seller.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Glad to hear it wasn't so bad.
First thought is "diesel spillage from a truck or bus".

Your off road riding experience would give you that instinct /reflex Duckhunter, but most road riders haven't done much if any off road riding usually.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
That is very true Stig, I forget that most do not have the off road reflexes to go on.
Thanks for pointing that out.
It really helps as you really can "feel" that much more feedback if you have ridden on dirt then transition to the street. You know "WHAT" you are feeling in a sense.

DuckHunterComposites
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

I've fallen on Diesel before in 2nd gear as I dropped the bike into a corner I was familiar with. Not much time to even think of putting my foot down to save the front end from washing on that one.
Turned out to have been a bus which had been spilling diesel (On university campus). I made sure they paid every penny. Fortunately it was only a 650cc off road bike, so no major damage - but diesel can be nasty!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I've fallen on Diesel before in 2nd gear as I dropped the bike into a corner I was familiar with. Not much time to even think of putting my foot down to save the front end from washing on that one.
Turned out to have been a bus which had been spilling diesel (On university campus). I made sure they paid every penny. Fortunately it was only a 650cc off road bike, so no major damage - but diesel can be nasty!
You know Stig, Having now read a few story's of yours now.....I would REALLY REALLY hate to ever get on your bad side man.....

DuckHunterComposites
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

LOL, I'm just a pussycat, really.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
LOL, I'm just a pussycat, really.
A pussycat-that is kung-fu fighter EEEeeeYah chop...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Years ago, I had just filled up at a gas station, and when pulling out of the station my rear wheel washed out and almost went down.
I hadn't even fully engaged the clutch in 1st gear, so I was barely moving and used my right leg to stop the bike from fully tipping over.
Since I was going so slow, it for sure wasn't due to throttle action.
After looking around, my best guess was loss of traction due to soap residue in the runoff from the car wash nearby at the station.
So watch those car washers too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 AM
Lifetime Premium

A long time ago wet grass with a little mud gave me a me near miss when setting off too...
Saved it - just, but I'm more careful of slippery surfaces where the bike's been stopped as a result.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode