RC51 Forums banner

Polarbear is learning

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  madbuyer 
#1 ·
just givin you guys an update on my prev threads. today i replaced my fan switch, topped up my coolant, burped my system and got rid of my old shitty rear indicators and swapped them for new upgrades.

now the cooling fan comes on properly at 95-96degrees (which is lower than the 104 i was expecting it to kick in at), but the lower the better. gave the battery another full charge for good measure.

i know half this stuff you guys can do with your eyes closed. but this is the first time ive done anything like this on a motorcycle before, so im mega happy and keen to keep improving.

once again, thanks for all the pre-advice, it was a massive help

#13 ·
That's how we all started. Small jobs, going onto more challenging ones.
To avoid making expensive or permanent mistakes on your SP, get yourself an old bike that doesn't take much investment (Watch out for rust in tank & things like that). Take it apart and rebuild it just for fun, maybe something you can use to pop down to the shops like a race replica 2 stroke, an older single trialie or something simple and single cylinder. If you're not confident - Get a workshop manual before taking it apart and always label (freezer bags are useful) parts, put them away neatly and where possible put nuts bolts & washers back in place so you easily know where they go. Use a digital camera to show how wires are routed, etc. so you don't have to guess later.

You'd learn a lot and probably become a better rider from understanding how the intricacies of a bike work and be able to diagnose problems more easily through this knowledge in future.

You'd need tools, so invest in decent ones if you find yourself enjoying the experience. In the long term they'll pay for themselves. I've had big bikes completely apart and back together in about 2 days and saved myself a ton of money doing things myself, but more importantly I trust myself to make sure the job's done absolutely right.
When I lived there I found UK mechanics weren't always that diligent as they couldn't really take their time and pay total attention to what they were doing. Corners can be cut where things aren't thread locked, torqued down, screws missing, etc. which diminishes the quality of the bike. Doing it yourself you can make sure everything's done perfectly, but experience counts for a lot. The more you do, the more you learn.
If you'll be a biker for the rest of your life & like machines, learn how they work and how to look after them well.

I'd say the no. 1 rule is don't attempt a job without the correct tools. There's a good chance you'll regret it if you do.

#15 ·
That's how we all started. Small jobs, going onto more challenging ones.
Yep I went from working on small engines up to stock cars on to late model asphalt cars....you learn a lot.:cool:

Here is a sample of the type of cars I would maintain and set up for race day.
http://video-hned.com/video/jFZjW5lju8A/ANDERSON-SPEEDWAY-OUTLAW-RACE.html
I have built several small block Chevy engines, but never a motorcycle engine. I want to give it a try one day.:p

Keep at it you will learn a trade few have the willingness to learn these days.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.