RC51 Forums banner

Demo Rides

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dasrider 
#1 ·
Might be headed to a nearby HD dealer later today to help get a friend's bike out of storage and they are coincidentally having an "open house" event.

You know what that means. :D Free demo rides (free is good!). That's the one thing I really like about their open houses/dealerships...

It also offers an opportunity to chuckle at the huge mark-up prices on official "Motor Company" apparel and items too. ;)

Anyways, does anybody have any suggestions on what models to take for a spin? Granted, only a few different models are available to choose from. :(

I've taken a Street Bob and a Fat Bob out in recent years. Didn't care for the mini-apes on the Street Bob but the Fat Bob felt alright. Missed out on trying the Sportster XR1200X previously, looked like fun. Might have to try one of the full dressers this year...

Do we have any HD converts or those with both a HD and a RC in their stable? If so, what do you say?

BTW - I still plan on hanging onto my sportbikes, this is purely for fun (as I've done in the past, no desire to get a cruiser anytime soon). :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure you rock up on the RC51 - the sound will intrigue it's fair share of interested parties. :D

#4 ·
Yeah the Vrod is the only HD that I would be interested in taking for a ride.

Demo days are great. There are a few local dealers that hold them regularly throughout the year. I am waiting for a Yamaha Demo day as I am dying to take the VMAX for a spin. I love that beast of a bike.

#5 ·
Well, we got there during "peak" time so it was pretty busy and there were several people waiting in line to take the lone VROD out for a spin. Didn't take the RC up there but did go out for a ride afterwards - was a good afternoon. :)

#6 ·
the only H-D i ever rode and enjoyed was a sporty. i have ridden a big harley three times, and after every ride i said to myself " never again". i would like to try the v-rod. too bad they never really caught on with the harley crowd.

#7 ·
I've got both. If you want a performance bike, then madbuyer is right, take the V-Rod. They have a V-Rod Muscle which has 122 HP. The touring bike is just that. Always makes me laugh when when someone rides an Ultra then complains it's a dog. The engine sizes have gotten bigger, the performance has gotten better. I'm really looking at the Softail Slim...great looking bike. Also, since Indian was bought out by Polaris, they're having a complete makeover. They released info on the new motor, a 111 Twin. I might just wait to see what happens with it before deciding on which I may go with, but the Indian is on my bucket list....done rambling.;)

#9 ·
V-rod and the XR1200 are the only bikes that have any hints at performance, anything else is going to be standard-fare ill-handling and slow as crap HD.

Fortunately (unfortunately?), our local HD dealer is also the only local Triumph dealer. They keep a fair number of cruisers on display, but there usually are a few Speed and Street Triples and Daytonas. They've done combined Triumph/HD open houses with demos and I got to sample one of each before. Granted, they're chaperoned parade rides, but still, it's free!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.