Bike just died on highway - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike just died on highway

Need help trying to figure out what happened. I was just getting on the highway and getting into 6th gear, when the engine just died. I went to restart, but it would not fire up and the battery was weak. I think I need a new battery anyway. Tried bump starting, but nothing. After a few attempts, the fuel pump would not prime anymore. Towed home. After a quick inspection, found a leak in the left side rad, near the top. Is there a low water level cut out switch? Everything ran awesome, except for an odd hint of anti freeze smell on the last 3-4 start ups, which I could never find and never lost any fluid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lean it over a bit more and twist it. Niiice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM

Probably have a bad relay. Does the FI light come on when you flip the on off switch? If not then its a bad relay. There are 2 in the trunk you need to check. Take the one from your high beam and swap it out with the ones in the back and it should fire right up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
Probably have a bad relay. Does the FI light come on when you flip the on off switch? If not then its a bad relay. There are 2 in the trunk you need to check. Take the one from your high beam and swap it out with the ones in the back and it should fire right up.
I checked the relay and could not find anything wrong. I tried to start it and it fired up right away. I have no idea what was wrong. I appreciate the help. Cheers.

Lean it over a bit more and twist it. Niiice.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
There's no coolant level sensor (other than your eyes).

My left radiator had a puncture from the previous owner, who patched it using using JB weld.
It didn't work. The expansion/contraction of the aluminum cracked the glue and my engine got up to 245 last summer, on the freeway.

So I had to have the radiator tank section heli-arched by a radiator shop that works on aluminum radiators. Since then, no coolant problems.

Also, since this bike has two radiators with associated hoses, it's important to periodically check and snug down the hose clamps.
Leaks at the left radiator are a common complaint.

Also, don't over fill the coolant overflow tank. It will leak past the cap and splatter along the frame section.
Just keep it more towards the middle of the level marks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Making sure that you check the hose clamps at the top of each radiator periodically is good advice. I live in a seasonal climate (read: freezing in the winter) and due to the varying rates of expansion of rubber and various metals when the temps change dramatically, the antifreeze would weep out at these points. I would visit my bike in the dead of winter out in the garage, and a few times I would find a small pool of antifreeze on the floor underneath the chin.

Just a guess, but if you were running hard and hot for a long period, you may have boiled and evaporated the electrolyte fluid in your battery, and your hose clamps may have expanded on you too. Food for thought.

synthcycle
Robert Dorion

2001 RC-51
Elka 3-way rear suspension
Traxxion Dynamics fork pre-load spacers
520 conversion and gearing change (15T/41T)
Goodrich braided lines
Arrow Ti slip ons
Samco hose kit
Corbin saddle
PCIIIusb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode