May buy 2000 RC, need advice - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
May buy 2000 RC, need advice

Okay guys i have always been a huge fan of the rc51's and i am in a position to buy one now. I am looking at a 2000 RC51 completely stock, very clean, With only 1650 MILES!!! Two things, what should i be concerned about with a bike thats 10yrs old with only 1650 miles... and what would a fair price be? He is asking 5700$. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Hmmm..What i know that, if its clean, with low milage on it, no damged..then its a good buy...but im not sure what the market price for the RC51..Before u buy, pls do check on rims & swingarm...they will show & tell any damaged or used in track before...

1/6 HRC Fast Trottle,Scorpion SS Slipon Race Can,15/42(530) Afam Sprocket,PC3 WZ Yoshi Mapp,Brembo RCS Master Pump,After Market Brake Line, Flapper Valve Mod,Pair Removal Mod,Rumble Under Tray,RockWall Clipon,Endurance Race Fairing,
Hyper Pro 3D Shock,Turnone Kevlar Airbox & Carbon Intake, Hyper Pro Height Raiser Kit,Hyper Pro Linear Fork Spring,Harris Rear Set, CF Stator & Clutch Cover..more to come..., Slipper Clutch,Radiator Scoop,Factory Pro Shift Kit,
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
NADA shows low of $3,150, and hi of $4,140 for stock 2000 RC51.

If the owner maintained the bike, he would have kept his fluids changed properly as well as all adjustments. Maybe even kept the battery on a battery tender.
If he hasn't, then all of those are technically, suspect.
You'd need to find out how well he treated his pet.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
NADA shows low of $3,150, and hi of $4,140 for stock 2000 RC51.

If the owner maintained the bike, he would have kept his fluids changed properly as well as all adjustments. Maybe even kept the battery on a battery tender.
If he hasn't, then all of those are technically, suspect.
You'd need to find out how well he treated his pet.
Well the bike is at the honda dealer now, Wouldnt start. I'm guessing its battery related but we will see. I am going down to the dealer tomorrow to get the full details on the bike and whats wrong with it. The thing looks flawless as far as cosmetics go.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Just an update, I got a call from the local honda dealer and he said the bike would require around 1500$ to get running like new, new fuel pump, lines, all fluid, oil change, etc... Tires are still original tires and he said theyre about as hard as rocks. LOL. The guys posted price was 5700$, so what i think i will do is offer him 3500$ for the bike the way it is now and i will take care of fixing it. That way in case it needs anything else i have some more play to get to the 5700$. Sound like a good deal for me?

The service manager said the bike probably sat for years, but i asked him if he would buy it knowing that and he said we will get the bike running like it was new, and that will take 1500$ from the way it looks now but after that it would be a very solid like new bike, with low miles and good resale.

Its completely stock too so i could do what i want with it. I'd appreciate any input
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 PM

I would offer him $3500 and show him what the dealer price to fix it is, then I would fix it myself. The fuel pump is not hard to change along with everything else, the pump only costs $360.00 so you can knock over $1000 dollars off the price of the bike, and maybe more.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Well the reason this is good for me is right now i only have 3500$. So i can buy the bike and fix it as i get money. It will probably take me two months to get 1500$. But its a lot less than having him fix his bike and spending possibly more than 5000$ in the long run.

What kinda tires should i have them put on it? I was thinking on going 190/55 in the rear. I have been away from bikes for a while whats a great street tire that wont rape my wallet? I always used dunlops, bridgestones and mich's before.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The least expensive multi-compound tires are the Bridgestone BT-016's. Followed by the Continental SportAttack's.
They're not bad tires.

The Dunlop Sportmax Q2, Michelin Pilot Power series, Pirelli Corsa III are all very good tires. They're also getting expensive these days.
Since I burn through rear tires all too quickly, I've had to find tires that are good enough to accomplish the task and affordable.

I'd get the rear in 190/55-17. The RC51 responds very well to that aspect ratio.
Tires in 190/50-17 make the bike a lazy turner.

Last edited by SubSailor; 12-04-2009 at 10:57 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM

We have dunlop quilifers on the wife's RC and I ran Pilot 2's on my TL and I just had to replace the tires on mine(went with dunlop also) and the wife's tires still have half tread left. You can also find alot of sales on tires out there also.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

How much will getting 190/55 throw off the speedo? And how can i adjust it for that?

Also... I am picking the bike up on tuesday. The tires are the original tires and theyre hard.... Is it safe to ride on them for 20-30 miles til i get to my local dealer?

Last edited by Tonesteeno; 12-08-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode