radiator hoses swelling due to air - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
radiator hoses swelling due to air

I own a 2001 RC51 and i recently had to replace a few hoses and a thermostat on my bike and since then i have had a lot of swelling on the hose that goes from the back of the Right radiator (as you sit on the bike) it seems to always have air in the cooling system is there a bleeder or something in this system. I have tried cycling the system with the radiator cap lose and off to get the air out but nothing is working so far. I even pulled the water pump cover and cranked the bike to ensure the pump was spinning and it was any advice will be help full thank you in advance.

2001 Honda RVT1000R RC51 SP1 22,500 miles, Power Commander, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Pipes,K&N Filter.
Some other toys 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100, 2005 Honda TRX450R, 2001 Yamaha Blaster, 2006 Yamaha Rhino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
When I had my cooling system apart to have the left radiator puncture welded, I wondered the same thing. How to properly bleed air out of the system.
The service manual said to fill the cooling system with coolant with the bike on the side stand, then put the cap on.
Then start the engine and rev it several times to circulate coolant and then stop the engine before the engine warms up the coolant, and then open the cap and top off the right radiator. I worked for me.
Did you replace that swelling hose?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes and no I am pretty sure it only swells due to air pressure and age because its always a different hose swelling and breaking i did not notice that is what was going on before because i was like hey broke hose replace no trouble shooting after 3 hoses i started investigating and notice why it was happening so now im trying to remedy the issue and i wanted to figure out how to fix it before re-draining X 4 so i will try your method ensure it solves my problem replace last hose and re-fill correctly

2001 Honda RVT1000R RC51 SP1 22,500 miles, Power Commander, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Pipes,K&N Filter.
Some other toys 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100, 2005 Honda TRX450R, 2001 Yamaha Blaster, 2006 Yamaha Rhino

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
As you said, the hoses swelled before breaking.
I'd try to replace all the hoses if you can. It sounds like age and heat have caught up to them and they are delaminating.
I was inspecting mine this weekend while I have my bike tore apart just to stay on top of it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 PM

intresting.. I noticed over the past feww weeks that my bike was running warmer than I wanted after removing the fan so I loosened the clip and added more coolant to the radiator.. For some reason when I replaced the left side I filled the resivor but didnt think to top off or check the other side.. What do ya know!! Its running a good 30 degrees cooler now. Now Ill be in way less of a hurry to pu tthe fan back on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode