Someone has the answer... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone has the answer...

Is it possible that the regulator/rectifier could be drawing power from my battery when the bike is not running i.e. the key is out of the ignition and bike is parked?

I thought my problem was the R/R because my bike would start with a freshly charged battery but not the following day after a ride. Then I got home from work last night and was thinking how much I wanted to ride into work today so I put in my other battery that was fully charged sitting on a battrey tender all week and this morning, it wouldn't even turn over. I'm thinking something is draining the battery while it's parked and was wondering if the R/R was bad, could it do this.

Also, if something is draing the battery and I had a hard time finding out what it was, is it possible to put a switch on the positive side of the battery that I could turn off while parked so I don't get stranded? I know it's not what I would really want to do but I'd like to get it going as cheap as possible and have it properly fixed later when I have the money.

-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Use an amp clamp on the battery cable and see if there is any current moving when the key is off. If there is no current moving, it is not a draw issue. You can also use an amp meter and put it in series with the battery cable if you dont have an amp clamp. If there is not a draw, you will need to check battery voltage while the bike is running. It should be around 14.4 volts.

If it is a draw, begin to disconnect items until the draw goes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode