2000 RC51 and 2002-06 Akrapovic question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool 2000 RC51 and 2002-06 Akrapovic question

Newb to the RC51,

I am in the works of picking up a bone stock 2000 RC51 SP1. I'm planning to put an Akrapovic exhaust system on the bike, but from what I can see there is only 2002-2006 pipes still available. Now will these pipes fit on the SP1, or.......

I'm thinking they won't , and if they don't, does anyone know where I can pick up a set for the SP1. I've been searching for the last couple of days, and many tears. I just think they are so sexy! If the Akro's don't end up working out for me, I'm thinking Sato or Two Brothers, any thoughts?

Also, is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I go pick up the bike that are specific to the RC51 Sp1, or maybe specific questions I should be asking.

And lastly, is there a link to "need to do" mods for the SP1. I was keeping my fingers crossed for a SP2, but I just haven't been able to find one in mint condition like this mint, and under 1k mileage SP1 I found.

Appreciate your help and advise,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 PM

I have an SP-1. The only "problem" that I would suggest you look out for is the leaking pivot weld on the gas tank. I can't think of any other common problems off the top of my head. There was no recall, but some people were able to get Honda to provide a new tank. It took mine ten years to start to leak, so I didn't bother contacting Honda on it. I am dealing with it now. I just had the bracket rewelded, but it is not quite right yet. Still leaking.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Willy, I never would have even thought to look. I have to say, I love how your reply opened up several links about previous posts about the Leaking Pivot Weld.

I noticed another earlier post about swapping out a stock full system SP2 pipe for a SP1, or the other way around, and somebody had replied the two pipes don't match at the headers. I am still thinking that Slip on units may be interchangeable on the two models? I hope!! Can anyone confirm this?

Again thank you Willy, appreciate it. It's always nice to know what to look for prior to the purchase.

Chris

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtslesse View Post
Newb to the RC51,

I am in the works of picking up a bone stock 2000 RC51 SP1. I'm planning to put an Akrapovic exhaust system on the bike, but from what I can see there is only 2002-2006 pipes still available. Now will these pipes fit on the SP1, or.......

I'm thinking they won't , and if they don't, does anyone know where I can pick up a set for the SP1. I've been searching for the last couple of days, and many tears. I just think they are so sexy! If the Akro's don't end up working out for me, I'm thinking Sato or Two Brothers, any thoughts?

Also, is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I go pick up the bike that are specific to the RC51 Sp1, or maybe specific questions I should be asking.

And lastly, is there a link to "need to do" mods for the SP1. I was keeping my fingers crossed for a SP2, but I just haven't been able to find one in mint condition like this mint, and under 1k mileage SP1 I found.

Chris
You made me wonder if I will ever be able to get replacement parts for the 00-01 Akrapovic Race System in the event I do some damage. I found a few places selling complete systems, new for 1700-1900 with the carbon cans. The akrapovic part number for the fulll system is 424-2525. Who knows if the vendors actually have it in stock but they are advertisiing it. Looks like a few people are still stocking replacement connector pipes and cans too which is good for me.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
You made me wonder if I will ever be able to get replacement parts for the 00-01 Akrapovic Race System in the event I do some damage. I found a few places selling complete systems, new for 1700-1900 with the carbon cans. The akrapovic part number for the fulll system is 424-2525. Who knows if the vendors actually have it in stock but they are advertisiing it. Looks like a few people are still stocking replacement connector pipes and cans too which is good for me.
While Akrapovic has ceased making full systems for the RC51, you can still get a Ti full system from Tsukigi Racing.
I was just about to purchase that system in '08 when I found my Akrapovic full system cheaper from a closeout sale.
Makes me wonder what the power gains would have been over the Akra.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 AM

exhaust

I can confirm that sp1 and sp2 slip ons are NOT interchangable.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtslesse View Post
Newb to the RC51,

Chris
try going to www.dan kyle.com he may have some sato! but see if u can find some mori wakie.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 PM

Go with Sato low mounts if you can find them. You will be amazed...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Willy, what companies are selling the Akrapovik full systems, I haven't been able to find any venders with them...to take that a step further I haven't been able to find anyone with a complete system of any type other than the Jardine 2-1 set-up, which I'm not really interested in based on the feed-back I've seen.

Subsailor, I'm going to check out the web site you linked, I'll keep you posted as to how it turns out.

Again, thanks for the replies, I've been looking online for about 2 weeks straight, and so far the only real thing that seems of interest is a slip-on high mount Jardine system. The gains, although not huge, seem to be pretty steady throughout the entire range

thanks again guys,

I'll keep you posted
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Just looked up Tsukigi Racing.com, and sadly they only have exhaust systems full or slip-on for the SP2, nothing for the SP1.

The search continues. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a Kato full or slip-on system of any configuration, please let me know. Really, if anyone knows of a vender who has a quality full exhaust system, please let me know...

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode