2000 RC51 redevelopement project. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2000 RC51 redevelopement project.

I guess the best way to describe it is I bought someone elses RC51 project. Or as I see it an arrested developement. Picked most of it and some extras up last friday. My friend gave me a sweet deal on the package $1500. Said he just wants to see someone finish what he was trying to do. I gave up a pristine 07 Tuono to take this project on. Just couldn't stop thinking about the RC as a track stablemate for my 98 VFR.

Finally got to tear into it tonight and get my hands dirty. My first discovery is I have some really bad gas. One wiff from the bunger and I knew I had to dump and flush right away. The fuel system that is. Theme of day one was dump purge and replace with fresh vital fluids. Clutch was dead and dry, brake fluid was brown. No oil in sight glass or coolant in over flow tank. Drained oil looked clean. Bled new fluid through clutch and brake systems. Clutch and brakes now working strong. Next up is a new battery and move toward starting it up. Here are some pics from Day one on my project.

Plastic cleaned up very nicely. 1 spare is a little rough but the other two look good enough for the girls I go out with.
Every where I look on the bike I see incomplete work so I really have to fine tooth comb through it. Going to update this thread from time to time to keep me on track to get me to the track on time. Sept 29th If any other RC owners want a set of stock cans for just in case let me know as I have an extra set. First mods upon getting it up and running will be steel braided lines and a set of riser for the clip ons. Feeling pretty positive about it now. came with an extra set of SP2 wheels, swing arm and rear brake caliper and bracket. Wheels are mounted but the swing arm will have to wait until the bike is funtional and ready for the track.

Last edited by VFRCapt.Bob; 08-19-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Capt, cant see the pics! Plans for the spare sp2 swinger?

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

QUOTE=screamin chief;252193]Capt, cant see the pics! Plans for the spare sp2 swinger?[/QUOTE]I'll check my photobucket security on the images. So far i plan on using the swing arm once I decide what to do about the rear shock. Any suggestions on shock or even how to best rid system of bad fuel is appreciated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Nice!
Looking forward to be updated on the project!

Riding is what keeps you on your toes...
~BOTM - April 2016, May 2015, September 2014~
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lookin great! 1500 is definitely a steal. I bought this project bike for $1000 with title. It had been brutally crashed and sat under a tarp outside for 6 years in the rain. Surprisingly the oil wasn't milky. 3 months later I built it up the way I wanted all in for $3000, extended swingarm, custom exhaust, designed my own headlights. Bike is getting wrapped right now so it should look pretty good when it's done but here are a few pics for motivation! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1376932166.305575.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	24954Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1376932180.344451.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	24962Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1376932190.602668.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	24970

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Nice save on your RC. Gives me more motivation to make mine street ready eventually
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Update. Day 2. Installed fresh charged battery. A gallon or so of fresh premium with some seafoam. Everything lights up and cycles correctly on dash and PC3 but no fuel pump noise. Checked all fuses and connections. I have a spare fuel pump so tonight's plan is to plug it into the bikes harness and see if it runs. I have a multi meter but this will cut out some redundant testing I hope. I'test it on the battery first make sure the spare runs. Next idea was empty and remove tank and fuel lines pump and thoroughly clean all the gunk. Blast out the throttle bodies fuel hoses injectors with injector cleaner while mity vacing it out the return fuel line. May as well do the valves while its torn apart and give it a full tune up.

It's gonna be a long day 3. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Either sounds like you're not getting power to the fuel pump, or the pump is bad.

Use the fuel system diagram in the service manual as a guide for component troubleshooting.

Most of the time it's some electrical component or wiring problem.
But we have had situations where the pump motor itself was bad or a broken wire to the motor inside the pump assembly.

Last edited by SubSailor; 08-22-2013 at 12:55 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Either sounds like you're not getting power to the fuel pump, or the pump is bad.

Use the fuel system diagram in the service manual as a guide for component troubleshooting.

Most of the time it's some electrical component or wiring problem.
But we have had situations where the pump motor itself was bad or a broken wire to the motor inside the pump assembly.
Bad pump and very bad tank gunk. I plugged the new pump and it purred like a kitten soon as I turned the key. Much relief. Drained tank and pulled this decomposing corpse of a pump out of it.

Scrubbed the tank and flushed it out and installed the fresh pump. Decided I wanted a happy ending for all my work so I reassembled enough to try and fire it up.

One surprise was the the plastic balls that shot out of the race cannisters. My friend has two 5 year old boys. Just finished a celebratory Knob Creek Bourbon on ice.

Bike show 5700 miles on the odo. Going to verify that with the owner before I tear into the valve tune. It ran very cleanly once I sprayed some sea foam into the intakes. Found clean properly oiled BMC filters in the airbox. Found a cracked and bent steering stop on the lower triple and front brakes dragging badly. Going to sort that out next.

Last edited by VFRCapt.Bob; 08-23-2013 at 12:49 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

So I am in the parts inventory and aquisition mode now. Steering lower triple has a broken and bent steering lock. Everything still looks straight but left clip will contact left side of tank. First thought is to remove the broken piece clean off the zurface of the triple. Drill a hole and replace it with a nut and bolt. Second thought is replace the lower triple.

also took off the cannisters and emptied the wood chip out of the pipes. Looks like I am going to disassemble the injectors and tank again as now the bike is running nery rough and lean. I think gummed injectors.
all advise is welcome.
It was shooting out burning embers back firing and an orange flame out of one of the cans when last it ran and idled. Also I still have the airbox out of it. Will that cause it to run rough and not idle. Seems fuel starved aasan increasing amount of throttle seems to be required to keep it running and to start it.

Last edited by VFRCapt.Bob; 08-26-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode