Considering an RC51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering an RC51

Coming from a BMW K1200RS I am considering an RC51. I haven't ridden one, but have been on a lot of V-twins, Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia and really like the idea.

I am a little concerned about the ergos, as I ride a lot in the summer in New England. I am 6ft 3in, 210 lbs and 54 (pretty fit ski instructor). Just wondering if I am crazy to think that I will fit this bike, and should head for a v-strom or similar?

All input welcome. (BTW I am used to having a bike known as fat, with the Beemer history).

Last edited by MIKEODIAL; 06-09-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You may want to reconsider another V-Twin like the V-strom. I say that because I have freind who has the similar measurements and he could not get comfortable on the bike. We both bought our RC-s when they first came out in 2000. On his ride home from the dealer, he determined that his body did not fit the RC and turned right around back to the dealer and got the CBR Blackbird instead. Have you seen an RC in person and/or sat on one? I would recommend you do try one on for size before maming a decision. Good luck.

ARSEY51
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I have sat on one, and it certainly doesn't feel as comfortable as the Interceptor, which is another bike I have been considering. Not sure that the ergonomics can be fixed with risers, better seat, adjustable pegs etc? I will head to a dealer again and see if it's something I can bear with, or see if I can get a test ride from a used one at a dealership. Thanks for the comment.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
i am 6 ft tall and 220 and i love this bike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The RC51 is a compact bike considering it only has a 55" wheelbase.
With adjustable rearsets and different bars, you might be somewhat able to bend it to you needs. But it will never be considered a sport-touring bike.
Now if you want to go bombing through mountain passes the you may find it fits you well.
I never feel any discomfort when I'm riding the twisties, but just humming along on the freeway gets to me over time.
If you plan on frequent long distance rides, then an Interceptor or similar would be a better choice. Always choose the right tool for the job.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM

go with the intercepter! your ass will thank you

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

I have an sp1 and have been using it for a daily driver for the past 3 months rain or shine... it really isnt as uncomfortable as everyone makes it sound, you might like it, consider getting a different seat like a corbin if you plan on riding it longer distances but really the stock one isnt that bad. i am 5 foot 11 and 155 lbs so the bike will fit me differently that you. if you get one you will be very happy with it for sure but it really depends one what you are going to use the bike for.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 PM

I am 6'3" 207 lbs. At our size it is cramped for sure. However, I have never been terribly uncomfortable on my SP1. The most miles I have done in a day on it was 220, mostly freeway. My ass got dsore, but it would get sore on any sportbike.

If you are looking for something to sport-tour on, I would definitely go with the VFR. If you want to crush the twisties, the RC is definitely the better choice.

Either way you go, I imagine you will be happy.

Mythic44
05 GSX-R 1000
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 PM

I have to agree pretty much with everyone also. I am 6'0 250lbs and I don't have any problems. The bike feels big to me as I switch between my 2001 RC51 and an 08 CBR600. I'll agree with SubSailor 100% about feeling it alittle when bumming around but never while riding twisties or fun stuff of that nature. I also guess it depends on the nature of your riding. I ride my RC51 only on the weekends for fun runs mainly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode